Anyone ever heard of this Disney tragedy?

AndyS2992

From reading old scanned newspapers from 1989, it would seem the accident did happen, she drove right in front of the ferry despite it warning her and it hit her. However, contrary to what people are saying here, all three papers state she died later that day of massive head, neck and internal injuries, several broken bones and multiple cuts. She did not die in Seven Seas Lagoon.

Her kid survived and her husband sued Disney a year later.

Whether this is accurate I can't say but people saying she was left in the water the whole day seems like complete nonsense.

Spikerdink

So, a little research reveals this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-02-25/news/9002253491_1_schenck-walt-disney-napoli

And here is the original case....any lawyers out there who care to interpret? Or find out the next step of the case??

http://ny.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19900717_0000329.SNY.htm/qx
So, it did happen. But, it seems as if the sprite was more of the cause than the ferry. How did the sprite get so close to the ferry? That's a question we will never know. If I were ever to take out one of those boats, I certainly would make sure I was far, far away from the path of the ferry.

But back to the original blog - interesting how they got even the name of the family wrong.

Spikerdink

Are you implying that the Sentinel made the whole thing up?

In @danpam1024 's defense, the original post does not make mention of Orlando Sentinel. It refers to a blog post that basically said that after the accident, Disney tied the body to a buoy to shield it from guests until nightfall when they retrieved the body.

sublimesting

Original Poster
This accident did happen. I was there on the ferry. My friends and I witnessed the entire event. We were employees and skipped school to visit the Magic.Kingdom; it was also payday and we were there to pick up our checks. My husband and I went to Disneyland for the 1st time three days ago prompting me to recall that day in 1989
. That's how I found this forum.
Wait...What!?!! That is one heck of a coincidence!!!

danpam1024

In @danpam1024 's defense, the original post does not make mention of Orlando Sentinel. It refers to a blog post that basically said that after the accident, Disney tied the body to a buoy to shield it from guests until nightfall when they retrieved the body.
Thanks- for the record- I was just kidding around ;) Down in my neck of the woods, the media (mostly TV news, mostly CBS) IS HORRIBLE about making stuff up to fill in the holes in the story until they get the full story-it got really ridiculous with the recent events in Boston :(

I_heart_Tigger

This accident did happen. I was there on the ferry. My friends and I witnessed the entire event. We were employees and skipped school to visit the Magic.Kingdom; it was also payday and we were there to pick up our checks. My husband and I went to Disneyland for the 1st time three days ago prompting me to recall that day in 1989
. That's how I found this forum.

That's strange because my Uncle worked for Disney then as well from 1987-1991 and I happen to know that payday for Disney employees wasn't on a Monday. It was Thursday - the day he would treat us all to dinner.

sublimesting

Original Poster
That's strange because my Uncle worked for Disney then as well from 1987-1991 and I happen to know that payday for Disney employees wasn't on a Monday. It was Thursday - the day he would treat us all to dinner.[/quote

That's some simultaneously mighty fine and flawed detective work there.

sweetpee_1993

I remember when this happened. No, wasn't there. From my memory the little boat cut in front of the ferry which was the cause.

Didn't read all the stuff on that very strange blog/site in the original post. I know about accidents at DL in California that involved the Columbia and the one with their BTMRR.

bsiev1977

Wow, what a poorly written article.
Not that it's a bad thing, but it's clear that the writer's first language wasn't English.
Plus, like many have already said, how seriously can you take the guy when he keeps saying Disneyland over and over.

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me. I have to go do some calculus problems, as a feel I've become stupider for having read that garbage.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

trr1

http://purpleslinky.com/offbeat/disneyland-scandals-the-unheard-tragedies/

The one in particular has to do with Pat Schenk and the sprite boating accident. I have heard of all manner of Disney deaths but this one seems the most outrageous. I don't believe it because things don't really add up in the story and I can't find it on snopes. So I was wondering if anyone ever heard of it before.
it was at Walt Disney Word not Disneyland
here is a link to the story
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...102586_1_lagoon-disney-boating-accident-kills

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom