Anyone Else Think CM Lanyards Are Tacky?

WDW 3

You know... I just don't care. The only time I noticed was when some kid was trading pins with a cast member with a broom and I thought that it was kind of nice that even the custodial staff was getting to interact with a guest in a way other than invisibly cleaning up after them.

kcw

I don't really mind the CMs wearing the lanyards- I don't really even notice them I guess!

What does bug me is that character attendants have to wear them!! Nothing like an attendant getting stuck trading with a guest in line, right when a group of Brazilians decide to pick Rafiki up!!

JenJas87

i have always preferred to wear the neck lanyards because my hip lanyard would always get stuck to the magnet we used to remove security tags. I agree, the lanyards did look tacky with our costumes because they are not overly tacky themselves but I like trading because I get to meet alot of guests that way. And i always try to have good pins on my lanyard.:)

TiggersPooh

I didnt mind wearing it but there the fact that the lanyards got passed along during rotations grossed me out.

Often the lanyard was soaked in sweat from the previous CM... :hurl:

Bug715

i have always preferred to wear the neck lanyards because my hip lanyard would always get stuck to the magnet we used to remove security tags. I agree, the lanyards did look tacky with our costumes because they are not overly tacky themselves but I like trading because I get to meet alot of guests that way. And i always try to have good pins on my lanyard.:)

I totally forgot about that downside! I was only in the Cinema a few times before it was closed to become the Gallery and that was the only store with the magnet in it.

I didnt mind wearing it but there the fact that the lanyards got passed along during rotations grossed me out.

Where did you work? We got our own. I got mine during training and turned it in my last night.

RAXIP

That's gross. I worked at WOD and we each got our own lanyard to take home.

I like trading pins w/ guests (as long as they didn't start grabbing at my lanyard)

Captain Hank

My department has a shared lanyard. We wear it in an indoor location, though, so it doesn't get too gross. I don't mind the lanyards too much, since I enjoy the guest interaction.

Disneykidder

I don't really stare at them enough to hate them. We are mild pin traders so if they aren't wearing them, we cannot trade. There are so many different costumes that are, to me, quite ugly. I hate all of the outfits in future world in Epcot...blah. They look like old 80s revenge of the nerd type outfits. Lanyards are small and are just a color covered by cute pins. They really don't bother me.

Goofnut1980

In all honestly the tackiness of some of the costumes themselves far outweigh the tackiness of the lanyards. The Tommorowland costumes are atrocious and I would hardly say that they're properly themed and that's just to name the worst.

agreed! being 2008 almost 2009... they need an update on all of the costumes... they need a little sprucing up... they looked ok in 1990.. but not so hot today... :ROFLOL:

Is it me or do only the "street" CMs like cart CMs, and store CMs where the lanyards? I dont remember seeing say a HM CM wearing anything related to pins or anything else other than their CM Nametag? And usually I see those blue squares attached to their belt loops now. . . or am I just completely out of my mind

WDW1974

Of course they are tacky.

And they dumb down/WalMart the whole idea of costuming ... of course so does the fact Disney lets CMs walk off property (and into Wendy's, Publix, Walgreen's, ABC Liquors etc ...) in them. A HUGE part of WalMarting.

This is also a great example of why you should never say 'well, I don't like it, but I'm sure it's just temporary' ... because pintrading was only supposed to be around for the Millennium Celebration.

Now it's just an excuse for the Mouse to charge $12.95 for a 'LE" piece of metal crap that costs less than a dime to manufacture.

And if the CMs with lanyards are tacky, I don't know what you'd call the people who bring those massive pinbooks and start trading sessions in the parks. Beyond mega tacky.

And, no, it isn't likely to stop.

But it was nice to see at HKDL that despite Disney's best efforts, people aren't into pintrading and I don't recall seeing any CMs with pin lanyards (there might have been).

The very intelligent folks who run the OLC's Disney parks saw very soon that pintrading was overall a very negative thing for the quality of a park visit and they stopped it entirely. They still sell pins, but CMs have no lanyards and trading isn't allowed in the parks.

Disneykidder

Yes. A lot of CMs now wear the small belt bag with pins attached. It is much less obvious and most of the time people miss it. We have walked by many and they will stop us to trade. We just didn't even realize they had them on.

bterrier22

we trade pins all the time me 43 son 14 son 10 its fun to interact and talk to castmembers. they are fron all over the world. Some pins belong to a set so we try to complete one set each trip. WE have all the magical expres and all the monorails. POR 8/04 8/05 8/06 8/07 POLY 8/08 AKV 8/09 and 12/09

NEmickeyfan

I guess if you have no interest in pins, then you might think it is tacky. But, for me, it's alot of fun. I wear amost 200 pins on my vest, hat and lanyard and collect only classic Mickey pins. I really enjoy the hunt and searching the CM's lanyards for a pin may not have. I have never seen a Character with pin boards or lanyards. My friend that travels with me wears all Donald Duck. We are quite a spectacle and the other guests seem to enjoy looking at our pins. When we have our pics taken with Mickey and Donald, they always react positively.....except for Donald... he hates all my Mickey pins....lol. To me it's just another way to have a great time at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom