Anyone else see this?

Tom Morrow

I think it's really not the best idea. The Potter franchise is waning in popularity. While it's never going to disappear or be forgotten, it's certainly dipped a lot from the early 2010's and the conception of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Every attempt to expand the franchise beyond the original books/films has yielded middling results. Yes, they're still among the biggest draws at UOR but that's due in part to being higher quality. I just can't see a third Potter land being a major sell at this point.

I'm still honestly not even remotely thrilled about Epic Universe. We know Super Nintendo World is... not amazing. Another Potter land feels like overkill. A How to Train Your Dragon land... who cares? The only interesting one is Universal Monsters.

WDWFREAK53

I think it's really not the best idea. The Potter franchise is waning in popularity. While it's never going to disappear or be forgotten, it's certainly dipped a lot from the early 2010's and the conception of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Every attempt to expand the franchise beyond the original books/films has yielded middling results. Yes, they're still among the biggest draws at UOR but that's due in part to being higher quality. I just can't see a third Potter land being a major sell at this point.

I'm still honestly not even remotely thrilled about Epic Universe. We know Super Nintendo World is... not amazing. Another Potter land feels like overkill. A How to Train Your Dragon land... who cares? The only interesting one is Universal Monsters.

I think a true Jurassic World land would've worked better. (If they hadn't added the Velocicoaster).

What I think would be really cool is if they were somehow able to get the rights to multiple action figure franchises. I know Disney has Toy Story Land but you could develop a completely unique land around Transformers, Masters of the Universe/She-Ra, TMNT, and Barbie. (I left off GI Joe due to the "war" content that I'm not sure they'd want to touch).
One of the pipes in NintendoLand could lead to the sewers where the Turtles live.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I love Harry Potter a great deal. I hate the mishmash here. I think a Parisian Fantastic Beasts land would be amazing, especially given the opportunity for a circus like theming and ride platform. There's a horror/thrill element you could add too. But adding different countries and time periods together is really dumb.

Jon81uk

Its already been mentioned in the Epic Universe thread.

Personally I think a London Ministry of Magic ride is a better idea than the Fantastic Beasts stuff. The original Harry Potter stuff will have fans for years to come, the FB movies don't even have fans right now. But might be better to add this to Universal Studios (in the Fear Factor spot) as an extension of London, instead of a new land at Epic Universe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Potter appeal is down on the whole…but the thing that it does is lend itself to theme parks well.

You also have to consider the “revolving effect”…the toys/movies that were big 20 years ago are reintroduced by parents to the next generations. We have certainly seen that with Disney properties.

They’ll execute it well…it will be an advantage to them.

This sounds of the standard “they’re not Disney” dig that is just not really accurate anymore.

jonnyc

The Ministry of Magic would be a great fit - it has obvious set pieces which could look great if executed properly. I agree with the mis-mash France/London issue, although I guess you have the "get-out" of teleportation (or whatever it is called in the HP books!).

opshannon

Funny because the thing I couldn't care less about is Universal Monsters, lol.

Lilofan

Universal bet big on Potter more than 10 years ago, seems like a big bet , yes waning in popularity.

jmv5010

I was there April 12-14 and no matter what time of the day we went to the Wizarding World areas, they were the most crowded and it wasn’t close. Spring break played a part, sure. But when I head back in May, I’m confident it’ll be the same. I don’t think popularity or interest is going down for HP for the general public in regards to the theme park world. I’m looking forward to whatever HP we get in Epic — Fantastic Beasts included regardless of my thoughts on the films.

JoeCamel

I was there April 12-14 and no matter what time of the day we went to the Wizarding World areas, they were the most crowded and it wasn’t close. Spring break played a part, sure. But when I head back in May, I’m confident it’ll be the same. I don’t think popularity or interest is going down for HP for the general public in regards to the theme park world. I’m looking forward to whatever HP we get in Epic — Fantastic Beasts included regardless of my thoughts on the films.
It helps that the Potter lands were built with the idea you would spend time there lots of things to explore small shops and that's the key to building an immersive land

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It helps that the Potter lands were built with the idea you would spend time there lots of things to explore small shops and that's the key to building an immersive land
Ive noticed that those that talk about the decline of potterland tend fo make excuses for bad Disney product since they opened.

Just funny how that works? Specifically the tremendous under delivers on NFL, Toy Story and Fatuu.

I’m sure a coincidence

I’ll Remind: the reason I’m here is I’m a huge fan of the history of park and attraction design at Disney parks…across the board. They have some amazing achievements. But not so much recently. It’s not because I wear ears or collect pins.

I don’t think Disney has anyone left that could manage/design the overlay at hogmead or the Diagon alley build. Individually or collectively. They’re amazing. And I’m not a Potter nut either.

Last edited:

GuyFawkes

Original Poster
nobody goes to Harry Potter anymore, it's too crowded
LOL, ya that the problem..........Too many people.

My observation is Potter has some good rides and attractions so people will go to those whether they know anything about Potter or not.

Take someone who has never seen a Potter movie. What will they think about the Potter attractions? The weakest one is Gringott's. Reason is simple. If you don't know the movie characters, the ride isn't much of anything. That should have been a thrilling roller coaster not a fan service ride. Not true with just about anything else Potter. Everything else is not dependent on having watched the movie.

I'll give a Disney example. Avatar. Is that a good ride whether you have seen the movie or not? I think it's a top tier ride and it doesn't matter whether you have seen the movie or have any idea what is going on a head of time.

I like the Hulk roller coaster. Do I care that it is the Hulk? No.

To wrap it up. Potter doesn't need to be spread all over the parks to draw people to those parks. That is what Universal is thinking. A good attraction doesn't need an IP, people just aren't that stupid. Universal seems to think they are. I could be wrong I am not a marketing guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom