Anyone else see this?

Tom Morrow

Yes, both Potter lands are still very popular. A good theme park land with good rides will always be popular. The franchise as a whole though has definitely faded from the pop culture zeitgeist, at least somewhat, over the last 5 or so years. It doesn't help that Fantastic Beasts kind of sucks and JK Rowling is no longer viewed favorably by many.

Frankenstein79

They would need rights to them.

It’s not like there’s a billion things with untapped potential. And not all things lend themselves well to parks

They own a lot of things like Illuminations and Dreamworks. Plus they seem to have a good relationship with WB now. So who knows what they could do. ... I'm good with a lot of things as long as it isn't an NBC land.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They own a lot of things like Illuminations and Dreamworks. Plus they seem to have a good relationship with WB now. So who knows what they could do. ... I'm good with a lot of things as long as it isn't an NBC land.
The most “useful” thing for parks under the wb umbrella is DC…so that’s not much help

They can certainly use more of the recent illuminations/dreamworks properties to augment/update their parks. Nothing would be as obvious a hit as potterlands…or the Nintendo stuff under construction.

Andrew25

The number of wands, shirts, and Butterbeer still being sold in the land would beg to differ. All of the controversies and failures of Fantastic Beasts aren't noticeable while visiting the land.

The new Potter tv show (whenever it comes out in the next few years) will more than likely bring Potter back to relevancy and introduce it to new generations.

Potter is just as timeless as any Disney animated film.

wdwfan4ver

LOL, ya that the problem..........Too many people.

My observation is Potter has some good rides and attractions so people will go to those whether they know anything about Potter or not.

Take someone who has never seen a Potter movie. What will they think about the Potter attractions? The weakest one is Gringott's. Reason is simple. If you don't know the movie characters, the ride isn't much of anything. That should have been a thrilling roller coaster not a fan service ride. Not true with just about anything else Potter. Everything else is not dependent on having watched the movie.

I'll give a Disney example. Avatar. Is that a good ride whether you have seen the movie or not? I think it's a top tier ride and it doesn't matter whether you have seen the movie or have any idea what is going on a head of time.
Avatar is not a completely good example. My younger brother and I never watched the entire Avatar movie. We saw this attraction in 2018 and got Fastpass+ at the time. We thought it was one of Walt Disney World's weaker attractions. Outside of the impressive animatronic. Na'vi River Journey has nothing going for it.

My reasoning while Flight of Passage is a wonderful ride, Na'vi River Journey is not. Na'vi River Journey is a short ride with no story and is one of the weaker rides at WDW. Na'vi River Journey has screens and 1 impressive animatronic.

My issue with the ride isn't the fact its a boat ride. Boat rides can be great attractions in a theme park such as living in the land and the old Pirates of the Caribbean proved. The problem here is Na'vi River Journey is short ride with no story and is a ride that can get very busy. The ride is not worth spending over 20 minutes for and spending money on Genie+ for it is a waste of money in my view.

Last edited:

some other guy

Avatar is not a completely good example. My younger brother and I never watched the entire Avatar movie. We saw this attraction in 2018 and got Fastpass+ at the time. We thought it was one of Walt Disney World's weaker attractions. Outside of the impressive animatronic. Na'vi River Journey has nothing going for it.

My reasoning while Flight of Passage is a wonderful ride, Na'vi River Journey is not. Na'vi River Journey is a short ride with no story and is one of the weaker rides at WDW. Na'vi River Journey has screens and 1 impressive animatronic.

My issue with the ride isn't the fact its a boat ride. Boat rides can be great attractions in a theme park such as living in the land and the old Pirates of the Caribbean proved. The problem here is Na'vi River Journey is short ride with no story and is a ride that can get very busy. The ride is not worth spending over 20 minutes for and spending money on Genie+ for it is a waste of money in my view.
all I saw of River Journey was a random pic or two and this one early dev art piece they put out (that still is in my desktop rotation)
seemed like it would be a better boat dark ride than Avatar 2-5 or whatever the plan was would have been movies

GuyFawkes

Original Poster

Didn't think of the boat ride, I don't even consider that an attraction. LOL> Flight of Passage is all of Avatar to me. In my mind Avatar is simply one ride with a nice big set around it. Food offerings aren't bad there either.

Deadly Danson

A good attraction is a good attraction. End of story. Hated Avatar - good ride (boat ride a bit short), haven't watched a Harry Potter film - superb rides and amazing theming (WAY better than anything Disney have done). Only seen one Star Wars Movie - Rise is pretty good and Smuggler's is awful. Never watched a F&F - terrible ride. Didn't enjoy Ratatouille - really enjoy the ride. Etc etc. All in my opinion of course.
I can't bloody wait for Epic Universe - a brand new immersive theme park to enjoy on my holidays (being built in the same time as one Disney ride) - what on earth is there not to like? I love Universal and Disney - who wouldnt?

Frankenstein79

The most “useful” thing for parks under the wb umbrella is DC…so that’s not much help

They can certainly use more of the recent illuminations/dreamworks properties to augment/update their parks. Nothing would be as obvious a hit as potterlands…or the Nintendo stuff under construction.

I'd rather they just put a Potter expansion where Fear Factor is. Because after the recent box office performances by Fantastic Beast, it seems silly to dedicate even half a land to it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd rather they just put a Potter expansion where Fear Factor is. Because after the recent box office performances by Fantastic Beast, it seems silly to dedicate even half a land to it.
I agree with that…

But it accomplishes the same. It makes the 2…soon to be 3…universal parks on par with “immersion”

What’s going on down the road?

About to open a replacement ride that took 5 years to build and the most glowing early reviews are “fun” and “3 minutes long”

Over at TDO…ive been made aware - didn’t realize - that they changed the tickets on packages that more or less forces you to go to Disney parks each day with little or no leeway. That’s a bit apalling.

“World class family entertainment” should invite volunteers…not give demands to their hostages.

These two places are on divergent paths of management.

How bad do you have to be…exactly…to make Comcast look good?

WDWFREAK53

I agree with that…

But it accomplishes the same. It makes the 2…soon to be 3…universal parks on par with “immersion”

What’s going on down the road?

About to open a replacement ride that took 5 years to build and the most glowing early reviews are “fun” and “3 minutes long”

Over at TDO…ive been made aware - didn’t realize - that they changed the tickets on packages that more or less forces you to go to Disney parks each day with little or no leeway. That’s a bit apalling.

“World class family entertainment” should invite volunteers…not give demands to their hostages.

These two places are on divergent paths of management.

How bad do you have to be…exactly…to make Comcast look good?

From my experience, I'm seeing that the ticket change is having my clients leaving Disney to go stay at Universal for a portion of their trip (beginning or end). With the option of Express Pass included in the price of some of their resorts, they find more value in staying on site than just carving out a day in the middle of their Disney trip...and with the ticket change, it's easy to justify putting Universal off to the beginning or end of the trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From my experience, I'm seeing that the ticket change is having my clients leaving Disney to go stay at Universal for a portion of their trip (beginning or end). With the option of Express Pass included in the price of some of their resorts, they find more value in staying on site than just carving out a day in the middle of their Disney trip...and with the ticket change, it's easy to justify putting Universal off to the beginning or end of the trip.
That’s a loss for Disney…whether they BS it or not.

People have always did side trips. But then they returned and ate the Disney food and drinks and downtown, etc.

Now they don’t look back…and are enticed by the 2 days for one night express pass…etc…

It’s smart.

OG Runner

I really do not want to get into any kind of an argument, but you realize only three of the Universal resorts include Express Pass.
Lucky for me my last stay was at the Portofino. The majority of their resorts however do not include it and the pricing varies wildly
during the year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really do not want to get into any kind of an argument, but you realize only three of the Universal resorts include Express Pass.
Lucky for me my last stay was at the Portofino. The majority of their resorts however do not include it and the pricing varies wildly
during the year.
Granted…but I would guess if you want to do an “add on” at universal from wdw…that their “deluxes” (typically slightly more than the Disney “moderates”) are in the wheelhouse. The express pass difference far outweighs the room charges when you get into a ticket costs

OG Runner

Granted…but I would guess if you want to do an “add on” at universal from wdw…that their “deluxes” (typically slightly more than the Disney “moderates”) are in the wheelhouse. The express pass difference far outweighs the room charges when you get into a ticket costs
It would depend when you are doing it. I had friends go to Universal last Summer. On the day they went Express Pass was $300.00.
Like I said, my last stay was at the Portofinio and just having the Express Pass included made the stay worth it to me. If you stayed at
Endless Summer though and then paid an additional $200 or $300 for Express Pass, to me, not really worth it. Also don't think Disney
never has any deals. They do. Like I said depending when and how you are doing it either resort can be great if you plan.

WDWFREAK53

during the year.
What would there be to argue? I clearly stated "some of their resorts." I'm a TA...I'm well aware.

Minthorne

What would there be to argue? I clearly stated "some of their resorts." I'm a TA...I'm well aware.
1650480141126.png

WDWFREAK53

It would depend when you are doing it. I had friends go to Universal last Summer. On the day they went Express Pass was $300.00.
Like I said, my last stay was at the Portofinio and just having the Express Pass included made the stay worth it to me. If you stayed at
Endless Summer though and then paid an additional $200 or $300 for Express Pass, to me, not really worth it. Also don't think Disney
never has any deals. They do. Like I said depending when and how you are doing it either resort can be great if you plan.
Yes, Express Pass can get outrageously pricey. I agree that (IMO) it's not worth it unless you are staying in a resort that offers it as a perk. (Or if you're only there for a short time and need to see as much as possible and are willing to spend the extra money).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom