Anyone else hate flying FROM Orlando?

captainkidd

Just curious what others have to say about this. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand and approve of the TSA measures. However, at MCO, when going home, it has become an absolute nightmare, especially with young children. We have 3 airports that fly into MCO - Boston, Providence and Manchester. Not one of them is as disorganized and chaotic as MCO. Flying into MCO is no problem, but leaving, we DREAD having to go through their security. It's gotten so bad for us, we're going to start flying home from Sanford or Tampa.

NYwdwfan

Totally agree, that's why we fly out of Islip now (not to mention I can roll out of bed 90 mins before my flight and be sitting at the gate with my Starbucks in about 40 minutes :D).

I LOVE flying out of Islip - and that Starbucks is a little bit-o-heaven!

It amazes me how many people are oblivious to the basics of security screening. They get to the front of the line, their kids are still sitting in the stroller, everyone still has their shoes on, and they stare at the TSA agent like they are speaking Klingon when they start explaining the procedure. Even if you have NEVER flown before, wouldn't you pay attention to what the people in front of you are doing and follow suit?

Upvote 0
We sometimes fly in and out of Tampa because it generally costs less than flying into MCO, even with renting a car (which we usually do anyway). I find TPA to be a much calmer, cleaner, and easier to use airport than MCO. Plus, I really enjoy the drive between Tampa and Lake Buena Vista.

Upvote 0

shipley731

Last Nov flying home on Southwest I don't think we had to bother with body scanners or pat downs with our toddler in tow (flying out MSY we did). We did the family lane and breezed right on through in a couple minutes.

MCO refused to get the body scanners. (At least that was the stance last year - don't know if that has changed.)

I don't mind MCO. The only problem I've ever had going through security are the people in front of me that don't seem to know the drill with taking off the shoes, taking the laptop out of the bag & putting in the bin, etc. Granted, I don't have kids, but my husband & I have traveled in the past with his family which consisted of his wheelchair bound mother, grandmother and a "helper" that was useless. All three were over the age of 70. Grandma couldn't understand why she couldn't take her 24oz aersol can of hairspray on the plane. I'm sure the people behind us were thrilled when she tried to stand there and argue with TSA. Next time we went on a trip, we checked the carry-on bags before we left the house & made sure everything was in compliance.

Upvote 0

acishere

I haven't flown out of Orlando since they implemented the body scanner/TSA agent uncomfortably groping you checks so I don't know how they affected security speed. However before that the security was never as big of a mess as other airports. However I do hate flying out of Orlando simply because it means I'm about to fly into Newark. Which means my flight is about to get delayed multiple times including at a point where I've already boarded the plane. I haven't taken a flight to Newark in ten years that didn't start with an announcement that "The Newark tower is delaying all incoming flights..."

Upvote 0

fosse76

JFK, EWR, LGA

Those are nightmares. MCO is a delight compared to those.

I disagree, sort of. I have never had any real problems flying out of any of the above airports. Other than an occasional long line, all of the problems I have experienced were problems with other passengers not knowing the procedures.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

I do agree at sometimes MCO can get disorganized but I don't think it is the airport as much as the people. Last year I had a person actually push their way through the line. I just tapped them and was like excuses me we are all trying to get to our flights no need to skip my husband. My boyfriend laughed but I was like well if I act married they will give more credit to the relationship. He's done it when complaining about the way people treat me as well.

The last trip we took the last flight out and it was delayed 3 hours so security was a breeze at 9pm at night.

I really think it is all depended on the people who are traveling that day. Some days JFK is swift and others it is like pulling teeth. Also the difference between the Delta terminal at JFK and the Jet Blue terminal are night and day. Hobby in Houston was under construction last time I flew out of there and it was a total nightmare. I was dropped off on the wrong side of the airport and the security on that side was small and with no seating. I was like where exactly am I suppose to put my shoes back on? I finally found a small patch of open carpet to sit down on to put my shoes on. There were no permanent walls around the security area so you couldn't lean against anything either.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

The biggest problem I find with security lines there is with people who have no idea what they are doing. I mean really, TSA has been around for a long time now - you'd think people would have some idea now what they can and can't do. As they say, it's not rocket science!

All in all though, I think MCO is one of the easiest airports to fly in and out of.

I have to disagree.... a family member of mine works for TSA, the horror stories agents hear on a daily basis, and given they have to follow FEDERAL rules and regulations, down to the wire, may seem a bit tedious?? But consider the alternative. For every story you hear about *an old woman, or child was aggressively screened....* here's the deal.... most likely they (the older population) or the family (of the child) were on a watch list. Yes, I agree, at times, some (and very, very few) TSA Officers go over the line, and by all means, need to be reprimanded. What gets me?? Is there are SO many situations, where the TSA thwarted possible terrorist attacks, that the general public doesnt hear about. Personally, I feel alot better when going thru a security check point (and I HATE to fly for reasons thru out my life) than if they weren't there at all. MCO is one of the safest airports to fly out of. As far as TSA not knowing what they're doing ... its due to screening processes being changed almost daily, and the only thing they have in mind, is getting passengers and their families, to their destination safely.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I have to disagree.... a family member of mine works for TSA, the horror stories agents hear on a daily basis, and given they have to follow FEDERAL rules and regulations, down to the wire, may seem a bit tedious?? But consider the alternative. For every story you hear about *an old woman, or child was aggressively screened....* here's the deal.... most likely they (the older population) or the family (of the child) were on a watch list. Yes, I agree, at times, some (and very, very few) TSA Officers go over the line, and by all means, need to be reprimanded. What gets me?? Is there are SO many situations, where the TSA thwarted possible terrorist attacks, that the general public doesnt hear about. Personally, I feel alot better when going thru a security check point (and I HATE to fly for reasons thru out my life) than if they weren't there at all. MCO is one of the safest airports to fly out of. As far as TSA not knowing what they're doing ... its due to screening processes being changed almost daily, and the only thing they have in mind, is getting passengers and their families, to their destination safely.
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with about my post. I said that it's the people who don't know what they're doing (not th TSA people).

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Your comment about TSA and how they dont know what they're doing, theyve been around for a long time...etc.. I was just explaining :)
No, I meant that people in line don't know what they're doing, even though the TSA regulations have been around for a long time now. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

No, I meant that people in line don't know what they're doing, even though the TSA regulations have been around for a long time now. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Ohhhhhh understand now!! Im so sorry, thats not how I read it :brick: But you see my point about TSA? It IS a pain in the rump, but unfortunately in this day and age a necessity

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Whenever I'm at any airport, regardless of where, I have found that 99% of the delays are caused not by the staff or disorganization, but by the passengers. I mean, seriously...I cannot believe there are still people who don't realize that their belt is going to set off the metal detector. Or that they have to take their shoes off. Or that their laptops have to come out. Or the rules for gels and liquids.

It's insane how many people just don't have a clue. That, far more than anything else, slows down the lines.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Whenever I'm at any airport, regardless of where, I have found that 99% of the delays are caused not by the staff or disorganization, but by the passengers. I mean, seriously...I cannot believe there are still people who don't realize that their belt is going to set off the metal detector. Or that they have to take their shoes off. Or that their laptops have to come out. Or the rules for gels and liquids.

It's insane how many people just don't have a clue. That, far more than anything else, slows down the lines.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Nick!!!!!!!!!! You are 100% right, but being fair, alot of people fear going thru secuity, due to bad publicity and a few over zealous officers, the rules change so often, which is why airlines should suggest to all passengers to check the TSA website for info :wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster

Last time we were leaving MCO, my wife took her laptop out and was told by a TSA member she didn't have to do that anymore.

I agree - People are pretty clueless. And while I am 100% in favor of the TSA, I'm not going to say it's a perfect system, because it isn't.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Last time we were leaving MCO, my wife took her laptop out and was told by a TSA member she didn't have to do that anymore.

I agree - People are pretty clueless. And while I am 100% in favor of the TSA, I'm not going to say it's a perfect system, because it isn't.

They can't stay in your carry on bag, but if you have a separate laptop case, you don't have to take it out of there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom