Anyone else hate flying FROM Orlando?

captainkidd

Just curious what others have to say about this. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand and approve of the TSA measures. However, at MCO, when going home, it has become an absolute nightmare, especially with young children. We have 3 airports that fly into MCO - Boston, Providence and Manchester. Not one of them is as disorganized and chaotic as MCO. Flying into MCO is no problem, but leaving, we DREAD having to go through their security. It's gotten so bad for us, we're going to start flying home from Sanford or Tampa.

Disneykidder

I have only had one bad experience of all of the times I have flown in/out of MCO. My son, who was 2 at the time, was eating apples and dipping into caramel sauce that we got at WDW on our way home. He was contently eating it as we went through security and the nasty guard made us throw it out. I even showed him how it was under the ounces rule they had. He was nasty, mean and rude. Plenty of people were walking in eating and we had to throw this out. Anyway, this was our only negative experience. Every other time has been hastle free.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
They can't stay in your carry on bag, but if you have a separate laptop case, you don't have to take it out of there.

has to be a TSA approved case design.. else it needs to come out.

to the OP.. try the 'expert traveler' line at MCO.. and like most others said.. MCO is relatively average for the security wait.

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

i agree....well, sort of

Only been to WDW once (april 2010) and i hated leaving lol....well going through security, I had two things taken away from me....and ok, it was my fault i guess, but still, it kinda shows how stupid the rules are...I had a really nice bottle of wine that I bought from the italy pavilion at epcot. It was sealed, once again, SEALED, in an airtight bag, then enclosed in a box that was sealed....I didnt put it in my checked bag for fear of it breaking, so I had it in my carryon....my fault but damn lol....then i had a toy gun, TOY gun, from Pirates of the caribbean ride i was bringing back to my little brother....it was sealed, and strapped to the cardboard with those annoying plastic ziptie things....well they deemed it dangerous and took that too....seriously? did they think i was going to stand up with my gun and say, "arrrrghhh, im takin' yer ship from ye...." so MCO airport i like, TSA are a bunch of tools

Upvote 0

mm52

Just curious what others have to say about this. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand and approve of the TSA measures. However, at MCO, when going home, it has become an absolute nightmare, especially with young children. We have 3 airports that fly into MCO - Boston, Providence and Manchester. Not one of them is as disorganized and chaotic as MCO. Flying into MCO is no problem, but leaving, we DREAD having to go through their security. It's gotten so bad for us, we're going to start flying home from Sanford or Tampa.

We've found that the lines at Orlando really long last November, but seem to move much faster than we expected. I've waited longer at security at our hometown airport. Love your avatar!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Only been to WDW once (april 2010) and i hated leaving lol....well going through security, I had two things taken away from me....and ok, it was my fault i guess, but still, it kinda shows how stupid the rules are...I had a really nice bottle of wine that I bought from the italy pavilion at epcot. It was sealed, once again, SEALED, in an airtight bag, then enclosed in a box that was sealed....I didnt put it in my checked bag for fear of it breaking, so I had it in my carryon....my fault but damn lol....then i had a toy gun, TOY gun, from Pirates of the caribbean ride i was bringing back to my little brother....it was sealed, and strapped to the cardboard with those annoying plastic ziptie things....well they deemed it dangerous and took that too....seriously? did they think i was going to stand up with my gun and say, "arrrrghhh, im takin' yer ship from ye...." so MCO airport i like, TSA are a bunch of tools
They're a bunch of tools because they wouldn't change their rules for you? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

jlevis

They're a bunch of tools because they wouldn't change their rules for you? :rolleyes:

The fact is they change the rules at will. I have a permit to carry a firearm. TSA and airline rules spell out haw to transport a firearm. I carry a printed copy of those rules when I fly (which is a rarely as possible). Very few gate agents and only slightly more TSA agents know how to handle a checked fire arm. I have, on more than one occasion, had to tell TSA agents where the declaration card is to be placed, where ammunition should be placed or if the gun case should be locked after inspection. I had a TSA agent send my suitcase to baggage with the gun case unlocked. They may not all be tools but too many are.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

The fact is they change the rules at will. I have a permit to carry a firearm. TSA and airline rules spell out haw to transport a firearm. I carry a printed copy of those rules when I fly (which is a rarely as possible). Very few gate agents and only slightly more TSA agents know how to handle a checked fire arm. I have, on more than one occasion, had to tell TSA agents where the declaration card is to be placed, where ammunition should be placed or if the gun case should be locked after inspection. I had a TSA agent send my suitcase to baggage with the gun case unlocked. They may not all be tools but too many are.
My comment was in reference to the poster that I quoted. I'm sorry you have had difficulties, but I think your situation is quite different from what he had posted.

Upvote 0

jlevis

My comment was in reference to the poster that I quoted. I'm sorry you have had difficulties, but I think your situation is quite different from what he had posted.

Maybe, they followed the rules to the letter for him and made-up rules or were ignorant of those that applied to me, even when shown them. Perhaps the difference is I expect and tolerate inconsistent application of the rules.

I admit that TSA agents have a tough job and have marginally increased safety. However, they do little to instill confidence when they stop some one from taking a clearly toy gun on a plane or, as happened several years ago prevent a man from taking a candy bar wrapped in a foil wrapper that was shaped like a revolver on a plane. Even after the man bit off the barrel to show it was a candy bar.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Maybe, they followed the rules to the letter for him and made-up rules or were ignorant of those that applied to me, even when shown them. Perhaps the difference is I expect and tolerate inconsistent application of the rules.

I admit that TSA agents have a tough job and have marginally increased safety. However, they do little to instill confidence when they stop some one from taking a clearly toy gun on a plane or, as happened several years ago prevent a man from taking a candy bar wrapped in a foil wrapper that was shaped like a revolver on a plane. Even after the man bit off the barrel to show it was a candy bar.

I actually don't have any issue with them being a little over zealous when it comes to firearms, even ones that are obviously fake. I'd rather not take any chances.

Upvote 0

jlevis

I actually don't have any issue with them being a little over zealous when it comes to firearms, even ones that are obviously fake. I'd rather not take any chances.

Why not just follow their own rules? That fake firearm is on a plane hauling commercial cargo and US Mail that has not been inspected and mine is safe in the luggage hold.

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

MCO is my favorite air port i love that i get on a shuttle to go from one building to a next my air port from home MIDWAY in chicago is definaltly not as nice but its nice when i kno im going to disney !!!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member

The wine? your own fault for not following the rules posted everywhere and before you fly too.

The toy gun? They've been doing that for decades - you have to check it.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The wine? your own fault for not following the rules posted everywhere and before you fly too.

The toy gun? They've been doing that for decades - you have to check it.

Definitely their fault on that one. Liquids are never allowed in carry on luggage, sealed or not. And a gun, toy or not, should just be obvious that you can't carry it on.

This is exactly what I mean...it's not the TSA's fault that people bring things like this onto a plane. These are the kinds of things that delay a line, not the TSA workers.

This whole discussion reminds me of that scene in the (hilarious) movie Up in the Air, where George Clooney's character is explaining to his new co-worker how to efficiently move through the airport. They're scanning the security lines and he tells her to "Avoid kids and couples." He recommends getting in line behind Asians because "they pack light and move fast."

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Some reviews from yelp about MCO that echo my statements. Only posting these to prove I am not seeing things or. crazy:)

"The TSA lines are usually always long in length. Allow for 20-30 minutes to go through that process. The TSA staff work the lines well, regularly reminding people about liquids, taking out the laptops, emptying the pockets of keys, adults taking off the shoes and *if you are a child to keep your shoes on*. Since there are a lot of international travelers flying, there is a lot of passport checking- so allow for some time."

"Great airport ... horrible security procedures and a bit of a confusing layout for a first time traveler."

"No surprise in Orlando, but a great disproportion of vacationers and especially families with kids. This in and of itself is not a problem but there is no priority line for frequent flies or first class travelers. There is an "experienced traveler" line, but as there is no real enforcement via a ticket type or frequent flyer status, its just as crowded as any other line.

On departures, to be safe in catching a scheduled flight, one needs to give this airport more time than others as you have to navigate all the hoards of vacationers to make your flight. Gets worse at peak tourist travel times - Sunday afternoons is their rush hour."

"That's it, I've made up my mind, I hate Florida airports. I hate everything about Orlando International. I haven't written a review in quite a while, but I logged-in to the airport wi-fi just to review this place before my hatred seeped away.

This place is a f-in ZOO. There are a bajillion people here, and this airport was not built to accommodate them. I literally have not experienced lines like this, both at check-in and security, since a flight to Japan I took in 2004."

"We've had mixed experiences over the years at this airport and do not count it among our favorites. Arrivals are ok; departures can be a challenge if you don't leave enough time to make it through security. Keep that in mind and time your departure appropriately."

"The security pass was heinous. If you are in a short line that isn't moving, get in the longer line that is moving. This way you won't get stuck staring at disgusting body scans for a half hour."

"Cons -
* It probably has one of the worst security lines I've ever been through. You would think for the amount of traffic that goes through this airport daily...they would open more than 3 security lines at a time.
* No expert traveler lane at security, YET they usually have a family line. It doesn't matter...they are all slow."

"The scenario: Two TSA workers checking ID's for about four lines on either side of them; standard but grossly understaffed for a major airport checking ID's for 70+ gates on a holiday. After they check your ID the lines get funneled into one mass to the right or left. If you are in a wheelchair somehow you wind up in your line - which when there is no one in line, they will not pull people out of the cattle call to move people along.

So there you stand: cutting people off or letting people go in front - families, old peeps, first time fliers, dip tourists and the general menagerie that makes up America. All to go into ONE security checkpoint.

It was a slow moving debacle. Granted once you actually got up to the conveyor belt they were waving people through the metal detectors; but what a questionable security mess."

"For any outbound flight, get here EARLY! Out of all the airports I've gone through, this airport has the longest security lines. Give yourself at least an hour and a half, even for national flights."

"Anyhow, the TSA line at MCO is ridiculous due to the multitude of crazy families who have just completed a stress filled "vacation" (a.k.a. stress-o-cation). Black, blue, green line... it doesn't matter because all of them are full and all of them lead you into the void of screaming children everywhere."

"The TSA line should have it's own Yelp review page as we could definitely improve the overall rating of MCO by splitting the TSA from the operation of the airport itself.

Okay, the 800lb gorilla in the room....The security lines. Central Florida is where I was raised and where I return to so I may visit family. I fly to MCO everytime. The lines are just absolutely ridiculous. Last I flew out of there, the lines were well past the middle of the great hall separating the A and B terminals. I could go on and on, ranting about this. But previous reviewers have already done so."

"One problem is that the security lines are usually really long and are filled with tourists! And everyone knows that Disney tourists are always hauling ten kids, eight strollers and twenty-five pieces of luggage with them. So, this adds to the chaos in the security line. I think the best solution is to have Disney people go through one security line and everyone else go through another. Woohoo problem solved. I will let TSA know whats up!"

"Cons: security sucks major a$$. Slower than molasses lines that are not well set up. You would think with the amount of family traffic that comes through this airport that they would know how to handle... uhm... families. But, nope. For seasoned travelers, it is painful (and plan more time)."

Upvote 0

Maerj

I have to disagree.... a family member of mine works for TSA, the horror stories agents hear on a daily basis, and given they have to follow FEDERAL rules and regulations, down to the wire, may seem a bit tedious?? But consider the alternative. For every story you hear about *an old woman, or child was aggressively screened....* here's the deal.... most likely they (the older population) or the family (of the child) were on a watch list. Yes, I agree, at times, some (and very, very few) TSA Officers go over the line, and by all means, need to be reprimanded. What gets me?? Is there are SO many situations, where the TSA thwarted possible terrorist attacks, that the general public doesnt hear about. Personally, I feel alot better when going thru a security check point (and I HATE to fly for reasons thru out my life) than if they weren't there at all. MCO is one of the safest airports to fly out of. As far as TSA not knowing what they're doing ... its due to screening processes being changed almost daily, and the only thing they have in mind, is getting passengers and their families, to their destination safely.

Sorry but I really have to disagree with this. I had no problem with airport security until November of last year when they started all of this x-ray scanner pat-down stuff. We went ten years without that and were fine but all of a sudden there is a need for it? Metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs work pretty well.

The scanners that are being used do not scan for explosives. They show medical anomalies but no explosives. An Israeli security official said that these things would not prevent him from carrying on enough explosives to take down a plane.

Now the TSA has said that due to public complaints they are going to start using new scanners which will only show contraband items, ie weapons and explosives, without actually showing people naked. Hopefully they won't have the radiation levels that the current ones have either. Anyway, that is a step in the right direction.

As far as the pat downs go, there are many cases where they have gone too far. Search online, you'll find some of the personal stories. Search Youtube and you'll find the videos. Pat downs should really only be used if a passenger has set off the other screening devices and you can't figure out why. In other words, as a last resort. Having children remove their clothing is going to far. Repeatedly touching passengers genitals is going too far.

Upvote 0

Maerj

With all of the above said, I have to say that personally I have never had any trouble flying out of MCO or any other airport.

The last time we flew out of MCO, it was a huge disorganized mess. We were flying with a toddler and she was in tears. People were everywhere, there were no lines, just a huge mob of people not knowing or caring which way to go. It wasn't the most pleasant experience but hopefully they can make it run smoother in the future.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Sorry but I really have to disagree with this. I had no problem with airport security until November of last year when they started all of this x-ray scanner pat-down stuff. We went ten years without that and were fine but all of a sudden there is a need for it? Metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs work pretty well.

The scanners that are being used do not scan for explosives. They show medical anomalies but no explosives. An Israeli security official said that these things would not prevent him from carrying on enough explosives to take down a plane.

Now the TSA has said that due to public complaints they are going to start using new scanners which will only show contraband items, ie weapons and explosives, without actually showing people naked. Hopefully they won't have the radiation levels that the current ones have either. Anyway, that is a step in the right direction.

As far as the pat downs go, there are many cases where they have gone too far. Search online, you'll find some of the personal stories. Search Youtube and you'll find the videos. Pat downs should really only be used if a passenger has set off the other screening devices and you can't figure out why. In other words, as a last resort. Having children remove their clothing is going to far. Repeatedly touching passengers genitals is going too far.

I partially disagree with you and your information, YES the scanners are a bit much, and I can't say that every TSA officer is completely professional, just like doctors, policeman, dentists etc... always one to spoil the profession itself. No child has ever stripped naked (any lose clothing on anyone is asked to be removed) no one's genitals have ever been intentionally groped, alot claim they were *brushed over* (like the guy 'you touched my junk', the woman screaming about her were touched by a female TSA female agent) The mere fact that people have to take their shoes off, ticks them off. I agree, security goes to extremes, unfortunately, that's the way of the world now. The body scanners were a result of the infamous underwear bomber. As far as passengers should only be patted down unless another screening device is activated, I partially agree with, however, alot of people you see being patted down (not all mind you) are on an FBI watch list. With the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 coming up, every airport is on high alert, again, there are countless times TSA thwarted disasters that the public never hears about. I do feel, TSA and Homeland Security are a necessary evil, given the state of the world and the hatred of Americans and our freedom by some other countries. Consider the alternative. Guess where Disney bag check guards get their outline for screening park -goers, thats right, TSA ... and I've seen guests get really ticked off because they had sanitary products questioned. Unfortunately, the time we live in, dictates these measures. I'm with you my friend, but we have no other choice. IF I have to take my shoes off, empty my coca cola, get patted down because I have loose fitted clothing on, so be it... as long as myself and my family get to disney safely :) It's a minor inconvenience, I don't mind it at all. :wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Once again Nick, I agree. At 30,000 feet, the sight of a gun, by a fellow passenger, could cause panic. People will automatically think it's real.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom