Anyone else get annoyed when...

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
...people assume Universal is Disney? Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but I can't help it, it's a severe pet peeve of mine when people say they are going to Disney and they are really talking about Universal. I know not everyone is as fortunate as we are to have all the Disney knowledge we do, :rolleyes:, but it really gets under my skin when this happens!!!

For example, my mother-in-law called me a couple weeks ago because she and a co-worker were talking about Disney and she remembered me saying something about the Fantasyland expansion. She asked me what I was talking about. I explained it again and she said that her co-worker had said that Disney was doing all of this in preparation of next year (she didn't explain, but I assumed they were referring to the 40th anniversary). Anyway, she also said they were doing all this stuff for next year like the new Harry Potter Ride...I was like, "What?" and she said her co-worker said they were building a new Harry Potter ride along with everything else new they are doing....now, this was before I even heard of Universal doing the HP ride, I don't follow Universal or pay attention to what they have or are building, so I didn't know yet that this was taking place there. One thing I did know was that it sure wasn't going up at Disney! I told her that it was probably Universal and for sure not Disney and she actually argued for a minute, then must have remembered who she was arguing about WDW with and realized I must be right...

I hope she corrected her co-worker before that news spread...:brick:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't get annoyed with the mix up as I know 99% of the other humans on the planet could care less what is Universal and what is Disney. The only thing that will get under my skin is when someone will not accept that they could be wrong about it.

rsoxguy

I don't get annoyed with the mix up as I know 99% of the other humans on the planet could care less what is Universal and what is Disney. The only thing that will get under my skin is when someone will not accept that they could be wrong about it.

I could have said that, but he did.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yep that rather irks me....but what irks me more is when people state " We don't do theme parks...." when I mention we went to WDW.....:lookaroun....IMO Universal, Cedar Pointe, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens...etc are theme parks....Disney is in a class all by itself and not to be confused with those other things....:animwink:

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
Its more bothersome when they say "I went to Epcot, and Disney World"
Yes, I agree, that too is bothersome! Or when they say their going to Disney World and you ask them if they are going to go to Epcot, they look at you blankly and say no, they are going to Disney World...only to find out later they meant MK...

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
Yep that rather irks me....but what irks me more is when people state " We don't do theme parks...." when I mention we went to WDW.....:lookaroun....IMO Universal, Cedar Pointe, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens...etc are theme parks....Disney is in a class all by itself and not to be confused with those other things....:animwink:
Yes, or when they say they go to all those other places and not Disney because their kids are older or they don't have kids...:brick:

Oh well, less crowds for us!

rodserling27

YES! I asked one of my third grade students how she enjoyed Disney last week, and she said to me "We didnt' go to Disney, we went to Epcot." :shrug:

But on the note of the OP, I can't stand the mix-up of Universal and WDW. I don't even consider them in the same realm of theme parks/vacation attractions. It's like mixing up a violin with a tuba. They both serve a different purpose, and to compare them is just stupid. I can't stand when people say "Well, Disney has a better presentation, but Universal has better rides." :brick:!!!!!!!!

Master Gracey 5

YES! I asked one of my third grade students how she enjoyed Disney last week, and she said to me "We didnt' go to Disney, we went to Epcot." :shrug:

But on the note of the OP, I can't stand the mix-up of Universal and WDW. I don't even consider them in the same realm of theme parks/vacation attractions. It's like mixing up a violin with a tuba. They both serve a different purpose, and to compare them is just stupid. I can't stand when people say "Well, Disney has a better presentation, but Universal has better rides." :brick:!!!!!!!!

I hear that. You tend to find out that the people with these opinions haven't been to Disney since they were 8 and only went to MK. The end result is people connect WDW with kids and Universal with "adult rides". They never believe you when you try to explain how much more there is to WDW than the castle and meeting princesses.

EaglesfanNJ

That's a good one, i cringe when i hear that stuff. A co-worker got wind that i'm the "office Disney Junkie" and came over for advice. He was in the Orlando for only 1 day and wanted to stop at Disney while there. I said "Well which park did you want to check out" He looked at me like I had 10 heads. Then i asked if he was planning ahead for anything "Nah, it's Disney, no planning needed, we're just going to show up" Yikes

need2go2wdw

Original Poster
That's a good one, i cringe when i hear that stuff. A co-worker got wind that i'm the "office Disney Junkie" and came over for advice. He was in the Orlando for only 1 day and wanted to stop at Disney while there. I said "Well which park did you want to check out" He looked at me like I had 10 heads. Then i asked if he was planning ahead for anything "Nah, it's Disney, no planning needed, we're just going to show up" Yikes
just "show up".....??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Word has spread to friends of friends at this point that I am the Disney junkie they know and now these people (people I haven't ever met or talked to) are calling me for advice. The other day, the daughter of one of my DH's friends called and asked for advice. She said she wanted to stay on property. I asked her which parks she wanted to visit. She said Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Universal....:zipit: I politely informed her that Universal was not Disney. After describing Hollywood Studios, she realized that was the place she wanted to go, not Universal...

flyer31

The only thing that really annoys me is when I am telling people that I am on my way to DisneyWorld they say "isn't that place for kids". That is what really really bugs me!!!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The only thing that really annoys me is when I am telling people that I am on my way to DisneyWorld they say "isn't that place for kids". That is what really really bugs me!!!

That too AND when my very own Mother says "Aren't your children too OLD for Disneyworld?":lookaroun....her's isn't and never will be.....:sohappy:

Astro_Digital

Alright I been to Walt Disney World five or six times no planing just drop in for a day. I have no problems and lots of fun. The area has more hotel per square mile than any where on the planet. I just dropped in places that look good that show they have rooms, next day pick the theme park, usually Magic Kingdom but sometimes Epcot. I just show up.

zurgandfriend

True:
Recently someone at work asked me to help them with their trip to WDW. The first question they asked was do you take a monorail or a bus to get to Universal and to Sea World? I explained Disney Vs Universal, is like Coke Vs Pepsi or Ford Vs GM etc. I then spend an hour discussing the ticket prices, theme parks, water parks, golf courses, the different types and themes of the resorts, DME, EMH, the dining options and dining plan, referred them to Kingdom Konsultants or AAA as well the websites and guide books. They looked at me and said great! But how do you get from Disney to Universal. I then told them to just ask a cast member when they get there, and said to myself I’ll see you on SGT.

Patrick_Ears

True:
Recently someone at work asked me to help them with their trip to WDW. The first question they asked was do you take a monorail or a bus to get to Universal and to Sea World? I explained Disney Vs Universal, is like Coke Vs Pepsi or Ford Vs GM etc. I then spend an hour discussing the ticket prices, theme parks, water parks, golf courses, the different types and themes of the resorts, DME, EMH, the dining options and dining plan, referred them to Kingdom Konsultants or AAA as well the websites and guide books. They looked at me and said great! But how do you get from Disney to Universal. I then told them to just ask a cast member when they get there, and said to myself I’ll see you on SGT.

LOL, I would love to see the CM reasction to when they ask that question haaaaahaaaaa.. :sohappy:

Astro_Digital

LOL, I would love to see the CM reasction to when they ask that question haaaaahaaaaa.. :sohappy:

I would be helpful and tell them. Not be annoyed, surprised or shocked. They are in the area to have good time and personally I find Universal Studios entertaining and worth a day or two. Why feel threatened?

MAGICFLOP

My first trip to WDW in 1977 I kept calling it Universal too. Now I know the difference because I have been there so many times I just laugh about it now.:lol:

CAPTAIN HOOK

What annoys me is when people get annoyed by honest mistakes made by others :mad:

We're all human - politely correct them in the error of their ways and GET OVER IT

devoy1701

Well actually Disney Parks are Theme Parks. Walt Disney created the modern theme park in 1955 when he opened Disneyland. Universal would definitely fall in to the Theme Park genre too. For your point i think you meant you would consider the other ones Amusement Parks???

Anyway...for everyone who cringes when they hear MK referred to as Disney World...to alot of people who vacationed there between 1971 and 1982, Magic Kingdom was Disney World...so don't hate everyone for it! Now I could understand getting annoyed with those of a younger generation who make the mistake!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom