Anyone else disappointed...that they expand FANTASYLAND?

I agree.

In general, I wish Disney was adding more to WDW faster. In a way, I think that is at the heart of the FLE frustration. There are just so many things Disney should be doing.

I guess any time anything gets announced, someone else is bound to be disappointed that thei pet project or cause got bumped in line.
TLM and the BATB restaurants are good. The meet and greets are wasted millions that could have been used to build an E Ticket in another land of MK.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I agree.

In general, I wish Disney was adding more to WDW faster. In a way, I think that is at the heart of the FLE frustration. There are just so many things Disney should be doing.

I guess any time anything gets announced, someone else is bound to be disappointed that thei pet project or cause got bumped in line.

I would say this development was initiated by Walt's death. After he died everything became much more commerce-and-profit-orientated. Walt added rides and other attractions just because he wanted his creation to grow on and become even more entertaining. He added attractions to add something. The present management only adds something if it absolutely necessary and is guaranteed to increase the ROI and for no other reasons. And halfway into the realisation they cut at least away half of it. They are bureaucrats, Walt was a visionary.

Lee

Adventurer

Agreed.
You want to build the swimming pool....but you get the jelly of the month club.
:rolleyes:

Truly. After 18 years of waiting for the next big thing at MK (A New Mountain! Indy! Space Mtn. 2.0!).....FLE is kind of a wet blanket.:shrug:

cheezbat

While I would LOVE and really want to see another E-ticket at the Magic Kingdom, I think the reality of what the FLE really was kind of a disappointing blow to me. I figure, if they're gonna spend that much money, they should at least add more than one ride. Where is the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast dark ride? Now those could've been attractions that actually cater to the interests of both genders. I do have to agree that adding some C ticket, or even B ticket attractions instead of the Meet and Greets would've alieviated some of my anguish of FLE. Instead we only get one true attraction/ride. The Little Mermaid.

Indy coming to WDW is many a fanboys dream. Mine included. Sadly, We'll probably never see that happen.
Another mountain? Someday...if the gang at TDO actually sees that as a good investment...which they should know WOULD be.

RadioHead

While I would LOVE and really want to see another E-ticket at the Magic Kingdom, I think the reality of what the FLE really was kind of a disappointing blow to me. I figure, if they're gonna spend that much money, they should at least add more than one ride. Where is the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast dark ride? Now those could've been attractions that actually cater to the interests of both genders. I do have to agree that adding some C ticket, or even B ticket attractions instead of the Meet and Greets would've alieviated some of my anguish of FLE. Instead we only get one true attraction/ride. The Little Mermaid.

Indy coming to WDW is many a fanboys dream. Mine included. Sadly, We'll probably never see that happen.
Another mountain? Someday...if the gang at TDO actually sees that as a good investment...which they should know WOULD be.

But isn't in rumored that part of the Phase 2 development of the FLE in 2014 would be the addition of Pixie Hollow, and a C ticket Pixie Hollow dark ride?

I mean I understand things change, granted it's still in the plans, no?

RadioHead

Agreed.

Truly. After 18 years of waiting for the next big thing at MK (A New Mountain! Indy! Space Mtn. 2.0!).....FLE is kind of a wet blanket.:shrug:

But wait, after say, 50-100 years. Will there still be room in MK for expansion of further lands or attractions? Or will it be just the replacement of old attractions with new attractions, to me that's lame, getting rid of the classics.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
But wait, after say, 50-100 years. Will there still be room in MK for expansion of further lands or attractions? Or will it be just the replacement of old attractions with new attractions, to me that's lame, getting rid of the classics.

There is still some room for expansions, e.g. legendary FIRE MOUNTAIN (I said it!) would have been built outside the berm in an area southwest of the existing AL. There are some expansion areas east and southeast from TL. Frontierland is a little more complicated to expand with the river as a major barrier to the north and most of the west but it's not impossible. FLE takes up pretty much of what is possible to the north and northeast. But the space around MK is quite small compared eg. to EPCOT where without any problems at least SIX new pavillons could be constructed in WS without any major preparation work and another 2 pavillons, Germany and Japan, have huge ridebuildings which are unused till today.
Of course there is plenty of space in DAK, whole lands coulrd be added easily and in DHS there is quite some place left too. MK is the only park, that really has only very few areas left.

RadioHead

There is still some room for expansions, e.g. legendary FIRE MOUNTAIN (I said it!) would have been built outside the berm in an area southwest of the existing AL. There are some expansion areas east and southeast from TL. Frontierland is a little more complicated to expand with the river as a major barrier to the north and most of the west but it's not impossible. FLE takes up pretty much of what is possible to the north and northeast. But the space around MK is quite small compared eg. to EPCOT where without any problems at least SIX new pavillons could be constructed in WS without any major preparation work and another 2 pavillons, Germany and Japan, have huge ridebuildings which are unused till today.
Of course there is plenty of space in DAK, whole lands coulrd be added easily and in DHS there is quite some place left too. MK is the only park, that really has only very few areas left.

Potentially speaking, how many themeparks are there still room for?

misterID

I don't think Fire Mountain was ever real.

Eddie Soto, who was at WDI when this was supposedly planned, never even heard of it or Bald/Villain Mountain. I think FM was just a made up fan boy story that took on a life of its own.

Agreed.

That's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark.

And SPACE MOUNTAIN mission 2 can go to EPCOT with a new Horizons ride :D

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Potentially speaking, how many themeparks are there still room for?

Entire themeparks? I guess a lot. Take a look at the area of WDW at google earth and look how many areas are still empty. Of course some areas are mere swampland but there is still enough space for at least another 4 themeparks the size of EPCOT or DAK I would estimate.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I don't think Fire Mountain was ever real.
Eddie Soto, who was at WDI when this was supposedly planned, never even heard of it or Bald/Villain Mountain. I think FM was just a made up fan boy story that took on a life of its own.
That's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark.
And SPACE MOUNTAIN mission 2 can go to EPCOT with a new Horizons ride :D

Well the ballon-tests were real, we have eyewitnesses. And they were done in exactly the area where Fire Mountain was said to be built.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

When you talk about adding attractions I think space is less of an issue then revenue potential. Remember evey attraction that gets added to a park has a construction cost that must be earned back, but also an operating cost. If the added attractions don't come with a corresponding increase in attendance, you will eventually reach a point of dimishing returns. As for older attractions, thier operating cost continues wether people ride it or not, so eventually it's just better to replace it with something new.

I am thinking the money might be one of Disney's incentives for taking the meet and greet route with Fantasyland. A MG could potentially cost less to operating the a new E-Ticket ride, and provides other revenue stream, for example paying for photos with the princesses, souvenir's, etc.

In the end, like it or not, Disney is a business and they do what they need to do to make money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
TLM and the BATB restaurants are good. The meet and greets are wasted millions that could have been used to build an E Ticket in another land of MK.

I am taking a wait and see attitude towards the meet and greets. Reading the descriptions I don't see these as being just meet and greets but almost as interactive shows. I don't have kids so these probably aren't going to be of interest to me, but I think this could really be something kids will enjoy.

lebeau

We'll have to agree to strongly disagree on this.

For the umpteenth time in this thread, if Disney were going to build an e-ticket, it wouldn't be at MK. It would be better to build it at another park (like AK) that desperately needs it).

The meet and greets will be insanely popular and add capacity to the park. How is this wasted millions?

(Oh yeah, cause you don't like them.)

lebeau

Agreed.

(Nice X-Mas Vaca reference.) :ROFLOL:

In that context, FLE is a huge disappointment. I'm right there with you.

But in the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many people who have been watching MK and waiting for the next big thing. Disney just wants to do what makes business sense. And the general population doesn't know the difference between WDW and DL. Or they get angry when Universal won't accept their Disney tickets.

In order to objectively evaluate the project, I think you need to take a step back from the fan's point of view. This makes sense for Disney and will enhance the guest experience for the majority of tourists (even if they don't necessarily realize it.)

When you look at it that way, FLE is a good project.

misterID

Well the ballon-tests were real, we have eyewitnesses. And they were done in exactly the area where Fire Mountain was said to be built.

Those tests really could have been for anything, though. There is a big plot of land in AL and I'm sure there have been proposals for rides in that spot. Like the Indiana Jones mine car ride (which would have been huge) could have been in the mix for that plot. Funny enough, that ride was actually rethemed to Grizzly Bears and is now being built in HKDL.

I thought those rumors were real myself, including Bald Mountain/ Villain Mountain. But according to Eddie, who was there at the time this was supposedly being planned, and would have known about it, FM or BM/VM were never discussed or planned at WDI.

Tigerace81

But isn't in rumored that part of the Phase 2 development of the FLE in 2014 would be the addition of Pixie Hollow, and a C ticket Pixie Hollow dark ride?

I mean I understand things change, granted it's still in the plans, no?

Phase 2? From all the concept art from Disney everything will be done in 2013. According to their concept image which shows pixie hollow and a copyright notice on the right that says "Planned Completion 2013" Plus Iger said they wouldn't be spending alot on things like this after 2014.

lebeau

Phase 2? From all the concept art from Disney everything will be done in 2013. According to their concept image which shows pixie hollow and a copyright notice on the right that says "Planned Completion 2013" Plus Iger said they wouldn't be spending alot on things like this after 2014.

Pixie Hollow is Phase 2.

If I remember correctly, Phase 1 was supposed to come out in 2012 with Phase 2 in 2013. But word on the street is to expect delays. Phase 1 will likely be 2013 and Phase 2 (if it happens at all) will likely be 2014. At least, that's the rumor.

Lee

Adventurer
Pixie Hollow is Phase 2.
Maybe.

If I remember correctly, Phase 1 was supposed to come out in 2012 with Phase 2 in 2013. But word on the street is to expect delays. Phase 1 will likely be 2013 and Phase 2 (if it happens at all) will likely be 2014. At least, that's the rumor.
Phase 2 is kinda up in the air at this point. If I ask three people from three different departments what is up, I get three different answers.:lol:
Basically, I'm told that everything east of Mermaid is a bit unsettled. Or it was as of several weeks ago.

lebeau

Maybe.

Phase 2 is kinda up in the air at this point. If I ask three people from three different departments what is up, I get three different answers.:lol:
Basically, I'm told that everything east of Mermaid is a bit unsettled. Or it was as of several weeks ago.

I assume they are squeezing in that e-tic everybody wants. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom