Anyone dined inTeppanyaki recently?

hls1023

Original Poster
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to WDW Sept 21 and one of the places we would like to dine at is Teppanyaki in Japan. I was there about 6 or 7 years ago but haven't dined there since. Just wondering if anyone has been there recently. We eat Japanese food often here in town (The last time I dined at Teppanyaki was the first time I'd ever had Japanese) and we were wondering how it compares as far as food quality and such.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite honestly it has never been that impressive in the realm of Teppanyaki dinning. If I am not mistaken there is a Kobe' at The Crossroads that is much better an less expensive. Also not knowing what part of Florida you are from they are missing 1 very key thing...shrimp sauce. From what I have found this incredibly tasty and possibly chemically addictive sauce seems to be unique to North Florida. One last thing they are one of the few table service restaurants that don't take DDE discount card.

mhead

My family loves it! True enough that it does not have all the extras of the mainstream Japanese steakhouses but it is great. They do not have the shrimp sauce that is common here in Alabama - but still a great meal. This is a must do for us everytime.

The only real complaint I have is that they do not take the DDE card and only offer AP discount at lunch Mon-Thurs.

hls1023

Original Poster
We are staying in WDW as part of the Stay, Play, and Dine package and Teppanyaki is on the list of places to eat for table service.

MouseMadness

If you eat there often in your hometown, I'd skip it at WDW and do something unique to WDW, if that makes sense. :) The food and the "show" are no better than any places I"ve been able to find outside WDW. Sometimes the sushi lovers in the family will stop in for that, but otherwise, we don't go anymore. :wave:

lentesta

Premium Member
The last couple of times I've been there (March '05, Dec '04, Jan '04), I can't say I was particularly impressed. In terms of Japanese teppan dining, it's nothing special. Food quality is average. The chefs' skills are about average, too.

I'd think that any moderately large city has at least one restaurant that's better. My town (Greensboro, North Carolina) has one that's far superior, and we ain't exactly a metropolis. I'm sure the greater Orlando area has something better.

In terms of service, MHO is that it's now below average for both Disney restaurants and Japanese restaurants in general. And it pains me to say that, because I love everything else about the Japan pavilion, including Yakitori House and the Matsu No Ma lounge. Both of those are much better dining choices (for their respective categories), I think.

Len

hls1023

Original Poster
Well, now I'm afraid it's probably too late to change our dining plans. I guess as long as the food doesn't totally suck (we're going to indulge in lots of sake during dinner so that will be a distraction :) ) I guess we can deal.

wannab@dis

Master Yoda said:
...shrimp sauce. From what I have found this incredibly tasty and possibly chemically addictive sauce seems to be unique to North Florida.

Got it here in TN and have to agree with you! Nothing quite like it to make the food EVEN better. :lol:

wannabeBelle

Teppanyaki Grill was just OK as far as I was concerned. I do have a fabulous place over by me that blows Teppanyaki away frankly. I love that type of food though so it is a possibility, but with the fact that they dont take the DDE discount card (GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) it is getting harder to justify the higher prices, not as good food quality ( Comapre it to someplace like Le Cellier!!) and it really is no contest!!! Does anyone know why Disney doesnt put it's foot down on the discount thing?? Picture how many other Japanese hibachi style places would LOVE to get into a guaranteed market like that??? Belle

mhead

hls1023 said:
Well, now I'm afraid it's probably too late to change our dining plans. I guess as long as the food doesn't totally suck (we're going to indulge in lots of sake during dinner so that will be a distraction :) ) I guess we can deal.

Like I said, we love it. They have good food at Disney prices. I can see where others might think it was just o.k, but I am telling you that you won't be disappointed - there is certainly worse at Disney (i.e. Mexico, and dare I say it ...California Grill)

It is a good meal in an enjoyable environment.

hcswingfield

hls1023 said:

We had lunch there last December and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Got it here in TN and have to agree with you! Nothing quite like it to make the food EVEN better. :lol:
It must be a "southern" thing like sweet iced tea. I've asked for shrimp sauce in Orlando and in Dallas and they looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head.

SheenaXena

hls1023 said:
We are staying in WDW as part of the Stay, Play, and Dine package and Teppanyaki is on the list of places to eat for table service.
I called Disney Dining a few hours ago, and the CM said that it was on the dining plan and it counts as 1 TS. He said it used to be 2. We also have reservations and I was all freaked out ready to change restaurants. I think I'm going to change it to Le Cellier. But as of a few hours ago, they only had 8:50 pm tables available. I like Japanese food, but I think I'm going to change it after some of the posts I've read. And everyone seems to love Le Cellier.

SheenaXena

And this time I mentioned that we were on the dining package, and he said that it wasn't specified on my reservations. This didn't change anything, but why would you have to specify this? I thought it was kind of weird that you did.

wannabeBelle

SheenaXena said:
I called Disney Dining a few hours ago, and the CM said that it was on the dining plan and it counts as 1 TS. He said it used to be 2. We also have reservations and I was all freaked out ready to change restaurants. I think I'm going to change it to Le Cellier. But as of a few hours ago, they only had 8:50 pm tables available. I like Japanese food, but I think I'm going to change it after some of the posts I've read. And everyone seems to love Le Cellier.
OK Up until the upgrade ( Which encompassed os of World Showcase actually) the only places that were on the MYW Dining program in EPCOT were Le Cellier at 2TS, Coral Reef also at 2 TS and Norway I think at 1 TS. With the upgradde almost everyplace in WS joined. All of the places are 1 TS with the exception of the Coral Reef now. Teppanyaki is not horrible and you will enjoy it unless you have a killer Japanese hibachi place in your hometown as I do. I cant help but make comparisons because I do have both. Le Cellier is just an amazing place which is why it is getting more and more difficult to get seating there!!! Belle

Yellow Shoes

OK--I'll ask.

What kind of shrimp sauce are you talking about?

I assume it's something more interesting than the ketchup-and-horseradish stuff you can get at Long John Silver's.

As I recall, the last Japanese restaurant I ate at had green sauce and yellowish brown sauce. Are you talking about one of those?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yellow Shoes said:
OK--I'll ask.

What kind of shrimp sauce are you talking about?

I assume it's something more interesting than the ketchup-and-horseradish stuff you can get at Long John Silver's.

As I recall, the last Japanese restaurant I ate at had green sauce and yellowish brown sauce. Are you talking about one of those?
Shrimp sauce is really hard to describe. It is kind of like the Bloom sauce you get at Outback (same color and texture) but replace the spicy flavor with a shrimp flavor.

imamouse

Len - my thoughts exactly.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet - Teppanyaki has stopped including the tossed green salad with the ginger dressing (which I love) with the meal. They now bring you 5 slices of rather sad, wilted looking pickle and if you want the salad you have to order it ala carte. What a let down! Couple that with not accepting the DDE card, and I have to pass. I agree with Belle - Le Cellier beats Teppanyaki hands down!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom