Any word on why the stalled progress of the Skyway station section?

NewfieFan

The demolition of the existing structure was extremely tedious. Not only were they working in very close proximity to guests, but they had a very small footprint of land from which to work.

They can't just tear it down like they did with the TL version, where they had the luxury of space. They literally took this building apart, down to its foundations, which are old and heavy and had to be pulled out. Plus, I imagine a lot of the work happened at night, also because of proximity to guests. Night work is about half as productive as the day shift.

Interesting, thanks for the update! Just curious... why is night work half as productive? Is it due to lighting/visual issues or something else?

So, will the rebuilding/new construction be just as tedious as demolition? I would assume that this work site will always be in very close proximity to guests? Unless they plan to close that walkway... and they couldn't do that, could they!?! :shrug:

Disaddict

So, will the rebuilding/new construction be just as tedious as demolition? I would assume that this work site will always be in very close proximity to guests? Unless they plan to close that walkway... and they couldn't do that, could they!?! :shrug:

The construction would be a little easier based simply on the fact that they may not be building such a huge structure there and will have more room to move behind the walls. I think it will be easier to build something in that area than to destroy something. And no, they wouldn't close that walkway. That would create a nightmare of a traffic situation in that area.

Tom

Beta Return
Interesting, thanks for the update! Just curious... why is night work half as productive? Is it due to lighting/visual issues or something else?

2nd and 3rd shift construction work is typically less productive than any other shift. Often times, the workers were already on another project during 1st shift (7a-330p), so they're tired and have been awake for a while. Besides that, even working under massive halogen lights, nothing equals natural sunlight. It makes it more dangerous, and you spend more time being careful than working. Lastly, even if you slept all day, your body's natural melatonin and internal clock know that you should be in bed. So, your brain starts to shut down and your body prepares for sleep. So, unless you work nights all the time, you're naturally less productive than you would be during the day, when you're full of energy.

Rebuilding won't be too bad. It's going to be a simple building. The hard part will be the sitework, which will happen first. There will be LOTS of contours, creeks, a waterfall, and steps.

Donfan

Night shift at WDW is also considerably shorter than day shifts. If you only work when guests are not in the parks, that can easily be an 8-hour maximum shift instead of the 16 hours that guests are often there.

wdw71fan

2nd and 3rd shift construction work is typically less productive than any other shift. Often times, the workers were already on another project during 1st shift (7a-330p), so they're tired and have been awake for a while. Besides that, even working under massive halogen lights, nothing equals natural sunlight. It makes it more dangerous, and you spend more time being careful than working. Lastly, even if you slept all day, your body's natural melatonin and internal clock know that you should be in bed. So, your brain starts to shut down and your body prepares for sleep. So, unless you work nights all the time, you're naturally less productive than you would be during the day, when you're full of energy.

Rebuilding won't be too bad. It's going to be a simple building. The hard part will be the sitework, which will happen first. There will be LOTS of contours, creeks, a waterfall, and steps.

very well said.. additionally, keep in mind guys that there is a LOT of infrastructure in that area for drainage, electrical, etc that is being rerouted..

Including some data conduit for DACS... which is right below this area in the tunnel.

disneyWX

Saw an update on another site that showed the base has now been removed from the old skyway building so it looks as if work is starting to move forward again.

Thanks djkidkaz. What site was this? Been hoping to get new news/catch a glimpse. Was the clock tower still intact by any chance???

Unplugged

I believe f-sky is the fantasy land skyway station. The replacement is going to be a bathroom. Whether the bathrooms turn out to be an attraction is subject to debate, and is a little creepy. :ROFLOL:

Yeah, it may be creepy, but if it becomes a "Show" :)eek:) then the creep factor is way up there! :lol:

WDW1974

I just want to make sure the Fantasyland (quail tile) restrooms next to Pan are still open and useable for the rest of the month?

I need to pay them one last visit and remember the MAGIC!

Tom

Beta Return
I just want to make sure the Fantasyland (quail tile) restrooms next to Pan are still open and useable for the rest of the month?

I need to pay them one last visit and remember the MAGIC!

Heh, yeah.

I imagine they'll remain open until the new princess potties are in working order.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom