Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

StAug WDW fan

TT redo Cancelled?

The sight claims that all mention of the redo has been removed from the Disney Press/Media website. The other site was looking for additional information or confirmation of this particular rumor

disnyfan89

It sure seems to be downplayed considering Disney has not released any more information or just re-releasing the same information as a hype for the new stuff coming if nothing else.

There are enough CM's around here that should of heard of a new location if they are closing any time soon.
In theory, there is no reason to train CM in their new location until the attraction goes down and in no way does Disney have an obligation to tell CM ahead of time that they are being cross trained at another location. I would even be willing to wager a good percentage of TT CM are already cross-trained at another attraction to begin with.

The way Disney scheduling works, CM already have their schedule through the 7th of April and this sunday the schedule through the 14th of april comes out. Which means we will find out on the 8th if anyone is scheduled to work TT the week starting the 15th.

Alektronic

Maybe people are confused about the post show and the ride, originally the post show was going to close a month early and have a construction tunnel leading from image capture to the merchandise shop. I think that got pushed back to the ride closing date to make things easier. The attraction is still scheduled to close on April 16.

RSoxNo1

I'd put Peter Pan's Flight ahead of TT.

Yeah, I'm with you. My list of overrated attractions is as follows:

1. Peter Pan's Flight
2. Space Mountain
3. Test Track
4. Toy Story Mania

I actually like all of these attractions (probably in reverse order of how they're listed). It's also a question of how you judge an attraction as overrated. I'm looking at popularity with guests vs. actual quality. If it was cost vs. quality than Mission: SPACE would be #1.

As the father of an autistic child, the elimination of the GAC would be terrible news. :(

I'm with you. Have you used Universal Studios' Guest Assistance Pass? It's not great, but it's something.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You can say that there are a ton of rides in Disney world. I have 4 favorites. I go there for those 4 rides. With Big Thunder Mountain down, I'm never going to be able to get on Splash Mountain. If Test Track is down, I'll never get on Soaring. By closing those two rides, they knock out the possibility of going on all four. It's not all about the closing, it's about the notification. I can't cancel my trip now. Had I known that those two rides would be down, I would have. It's about notifiying people so they can make an educated choice. I told the person from customer service that he wouldn't want to go to an adventure movie, pay for that move, and be told oops... it's broken, watch Barnie instead. Anything can break at any time. I get that. But, to plan it and not tell people is irresponsible!

While I'm not a fan of withholding information about major planned refurbs, I do think your post above overstates the consequences. With Fastpass and riding first thing in the morning, there is no question you'll be able to ride Splash and Soarin', and multiple times each if you so choose. Just go at park opening, get a fastpass and wait in a 30 min standby line or so right after getting the FP -- you've got two rides on each with minimal waits.

That being said, if it is true that you'd have canceled if you'd known these two rides would be down, and if it is true that Disney knew these two rides would be down and didn't tell you, then you have good reason to be upset. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it except vent, which you've done, and then try to make the best of it, which I suspect you will do.

So have a good trip, and, as I always tell my son when this kind of stuff happens -- "Don't focus on the fun things you AREN'T doing -- focus on the fun things you ARE doing!" OK, it's pithy and obvious, but maybe it'll help to remember it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Barnie is a big purple dinosaur... it's a kids program. My comparison is saying that I wouldn't really want to go if these rides are not open and as a Disney Vacation Club Member, I CAN'T get a refund past 30 days.... so it's too late for one.
In reference to not "physically being restricted from the rides" actually, I am. I have severe arthrits and I am not able to stand for long periods of time. At this point I have never asked for a disability pass becaue I don't feel I'm at that point yet. I can't wait in line for an hour and I'm sure that the line even for the fast pass will be at least that long. So, yes, I am being physically restricted from the rides.

This is just plain false. The fastpass line will not be an hour, or anything close to that. You are not being physically restricted. You are being slightly inconvenienced.

Lucky

I have always planned to never ask for one until I am completely unable to get around on my own. I don't like seeing 20 people flash a card and go to the front of the line while one person walks better than me from their wheel chair. I can still walk... and I plan to continue to do so for as long as possible! :)

It's not just for physical disabilities...

As the father of an autistic child, the elimination of the GAC would be terrible news. :(

I agree, but I assume they wouldn't do away with it entirely - maybe just require some sort of documentation, or at least ask you a few questions before issuing one. I wouldn't mind that, if they think the current system is being abused.

RSoxNo1

It's not just for physical disabilities...

I agree, but I assume they wouldn't do away with it entirely - maybe just require some sort of documentation, or at least ask you a few questions before issuing one. I wouldn't mind that, if they think the current system is being abused.

Yeah a doctor's note can be easily forged so I'm not sure that's the best approach. Perhaps an application before the trip or some other layer of prevention?

We get one for my autistic brother. Physically he is absolutely fine, but our rationale is that the pass helps eliminate the risk of a meltdown in the parks. He's 35 years old, and a temper tantrum from him can be far more damaging than from a 2 year old. There have been times when he was younger (going through puberty) where he simply couldn't deal with the stimulation of the park and my parents had to bring him back to the hotel for the bulk of the trip. More recently, we came very close to seeing a temper tantrum outside of it's a small world because we were trying to go home and he still saw things he wanted to do.

It is quite apparent that my brother is autistic, but things like ADHD are far less apparent. As are some physical issues that also require proper use of a Guest Assistance card. My guess is that Disney isn't trying to eliminate proper usage of the GAC, but they are trying to eliminate those people that are aware that there really is little to no check for it.

If they change what the "benefits" are, but not the screening process they really wouldn't have solved anything.

Todd H

Sadly, I think it's being abused as well.

During our last trip, we actually brought a letter from our child's doctor to show them in case there were any questions, but they never asked to see it. I'd be fine with producing paperwork if it would help stop the abuse.

I_heart_Tigger

Yeah a doctor's note can be easily forged so I'm not sure that's the best approach. Perhaps an application before the trip or some other layer of prevention?

We get one for my autistic brother. Physically he is absolutely fine, but our rationale is that the pass helps eliminate the risk of a meltdown in the parks. He's 35 years old, and a temper tantrum from him can be far more damaging than from a 2 year old. There have been times when he was younger (going through puberty) where he simply couldn't deal with the stimulation of the park and my parents had to bring him back to the hotel for the bulk of the trip. More recently, we came very close to seeing a temper tantrum outside of it's a small world because we were trying to go home and he still saw things he wanted to do.

It is quite apparent that my brother is autistic, but things like ADHD are far less apparent. As are some physical issues that also require proper use of a Guest Assistance card. My guess is that Disney isn't trying to eliminate proper usage of the GAC, but they are trying to eliminate those people that are aware that there really is little to no check for it.

If they change what the "benefits" are, but not the screening process they really wouldn't have solved anything.

Is ADHD actually a reason for a GAC now...no wonder people think it's being abused with at least half of kids today diagnosed with ADHD in one form or another

Lucky

During our last trip, we actually brought a letter from our child's doctor to show them in case there were any questions, but they never asked to see it. I'd be fine with producing paperwork if it would help stop the abuse.

If they think it's a big enough problem I think they could screen out most of the cheaters without making it so cumbersome as to deter too many of the valid cases. Following your suggestion, require an application in advance, where you have to list the contact info for a doctor that can verify the condition. Very few cheaters will have the nerve to apply if they think there's a chance they might show up for their card at Guest Relations only to be told face to face that their info didn't check out as truthful. It wouldn't take much actual spot checking to make the system credible. Maybe check out 1 in every 50 or so applications. Keep a database so anyone who is verified once is permanently verified.

This would cost Disney something, so it all depends on just how serious they think the cheating problem is. They shouldn't assume there are a lot of cheaters just because they issue a lot of cards. Disney has a reputation for being disability-friendly so maybe we just go more often than disability-free families.

jmmc

I don't know what the alternative would be, and I understand they may be concerned about people who don't need the card getting it. But I don't see that they can just end it without something to replace it. My little nephew will be going to Disney for the first time, soon. He is also autistic, and though he is not as severe as some cases, the family wants to get a card because it's sometimes impossible for him to be patient in long lines, especially with lots of strangers crowded around.

Abuse of the system is unfortunate -- and really despicable -- but a complete elimination can't be the solution.

Monsterfan99

To those brining up the doctors note, they can not legally ask for one. This goes back to the medical privacy act (whos name I forget.) Six Flags used to require one and when the act passed it became the current free-for-all you see today.

Lucky

There should be subtle ways to screen out most potential cheaters. Suppose when you ask for a GAC at Guest Relations that instead of immediately being issued a card by whichever smiling college kid happens to be at the counter, you're referred to a serious-looking adult who asks you a few questions, and explains who the GAC is intended for and why the questions are necessary - that unfortunately sometimes other people try to take advantage of the benefit. That would probably be enough to deter most cheaters, although the most determined liars wouldn't be stopped by any system. The questions wouldn't need to be too prying if there are privacy concerns, but could still be enough to make most liars uncomfortable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom