Any truth to any of this? (The latest on Tomorrowland Rumors following the pandemic)

Brer Oswald

People keep saying Tomorrowland needs to be fixed but it isn't really broken. They've invested so much in it, probably more than any other land at Disneyland. I think we all realize that the Subs, Monorail and Autopia are not really pulling their weight and in danger of replacement, so rumors about them being removed or tweak all make sense, but in the short term, they are all just fine where they are. I'm convinced that people who think Tomorrowland at Disneyland is broken, have never been to the Magic Kingdom.
Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom is much better. Better Space Mountain (IMO). Peoplemover. CoP. It’s getting Tron.

The only weak links are Speedway, Laugh Floor, and Buzz.

britain

People keep saying Tomorrowland needs to be fixed but it isn't really broken. They've invested so much in it, probably more than any other land at Disneyland. I think we all realize that the Subs, Monorail and Autopia are not really pulling their weight and in danger of replacement, so rumors about them being removed or tweak all make sense, but in the short term, they are all just fine where they are. I'm convinced that people who think Tomorrowland at Disneyland is broken, have never been to the Magic Kingdom.
The number one reason TL is considered broken is because of the rusting Rocket Rod track weaving its way throughout the land, unused for TWENTY YEARS. It’s akin to having NO boats of any kind on the Rivers of America for twenty years. Wouldn’t Frontierland be operationally fine, but feel broken?

Secondarily, there are areas that scream “I haven’t been used properly for what I was designed for in decades,” all around the Space Mountain complex: StarCade, Tomorrowland Path of the Jedi Theater, and all the outdoor pizza seating - not to mention the unused upstairs at the Carousel Theater / Star Wars Launch Bay.

If all they did was tear down the Rocket Rod tracks, and give those awkward areas a delightful purpose, Tomorrowland would feel fine.

el_super

Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom is much better. Better Space Mountain (IMO). Peoplemover. CoP. It’s getting Tron.

The only weak links are Speedway, Laugh Floor, and Buzz.

Strongly disagree on Space Mountain. The Peoplemover is nice, but everything else in Tomorrowland aside from Space and the Peoplemover is a miss for me. Carousel of Progress is nice for the history of it, but it seriously either needs an upgrade or a downgrade to make much sense in the context of Tomorrowland.

I've been on Tron in Shanghai. It's OK, but it's feels just as out of place as the other attractions in Tomorrowland.

el_super

If all they did was tear down the Rocket Rod tracks, and give those awkward areas a delightful purpose, Tomorrowland would feel fine.

Mostly I agree. Tomorrowland isn't really broken, the (mostly) empty carousel theater is. I can pretty much excuse the Rocket Rod tracks because, unless you've been around for a long time, you probably don't even know that an attraction was up there at all.

Brer Oswald

Strongly disagree on Space Mountain. The Peoplemover is nice, but everything else in Tomorrowland aside from Space and the Peoplemover is a miss for me. Carousel of Progress is nice for the history of it, but it seriously either needs an upgrade or a downgrade to make much sense in the context of Tomorrowland.

I've been on Tron in Shanghai. It's OK, but it's feels just as out of place as the other attractions in Tomorrowland.
I’m just not sure what would make Disneyland’s Tomorrowland better? Space Mountain preference is up for debate. The only thing that Disneyland has that MK doesn’t is Star Tours...which is in DHS, and the subs, which have been marked as “ not pulling their weight”.

el_super

I’m just not sure what would make Disneyland’s Tomorrowland better?

Yeah ... that's kind of the point: Disneyland's Tomorrowland has the Submarines and Monorail and Star Tours, but somehow it's broken and needs to be fixed? If any Tomorrowland needs to be fixed, it's the one that relies on Stitch's Great Escape and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Love or hate what this Alex guy is rumoring about, but he did raise one interesting point. This isn't 1983 anymore and Disney is definitely not going to shut down an entire land at one time. With prices the way they are, guests are not going to enjoy paying full price for a diminished experience, and we know Disney isn't going to reduce prices for it either.

Regardless of whether it's a whole new reimagined land, or simple refreshes, they are going to have to do it piecemeal as that is just way too big of an area to close all at once.

Brer Oswald

Yeah ... that's kind of the point: Disneyland's Tomorrowland has the Submarines and Monorail and Star Tours, but somehow it's broken and needs to be fixed? If any Tomorrowland needs to be fixed, it's the one that relies on Stitch's Great Escape and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor.
But it doesn’t rely on MILF or Stitch (closed). It relies on Space Mountain, Peoplemover, and COP, two of which DL doesn’t have. Buzz is lame on both coasts. I’ve heard mixed things about the Subs. Star Tours is at another park.

MK Tomorrowland also looks nicer

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

The number one reason TL is considered broken is because of the rusting Rocket Rod track weaving its way throughout the land, unused for TWENTY YEARS. It’s akin to having NO boats of any kind on the Rivers of America for twenty years. Wouldn’t Frontierland be operationally fine, but feel broken?

Secondarily, there are areas that scream “I haven’t been used properly for what I was designed for in decades,” all around the Space Mountain complex: StarCade, Tomorrowland Path of the Jedi Theater, and all the outdoor pizza seating - not to mention the unused upstairs at the Carousel Theater / Star Wars Launch Bay.

Perfectly summarized. Disneyland’s Tomorrowland feels underutilized, with a lot of wasted or arbitrarily-used space. Compare that with the western side of the park, where space is utilized astonishingly efficiently.

britain

Love or hate what this Alex guy is rumoring about, but he did raise one interesting point. This isn't 1983 anymore and Disney is definitely not going to shut down an entire land at one time. With prices the way they are, guests are not going to enjoy paying full price for a diminished experience, and we know Disney isn't going to reduce prices for it either.

Regardless of whether it's a whole new reimagined land, or simple refreshes, they are going to have to do it piecemeal as that is just way too big of an area to close all at once.

And in theory I’m fine with phases, as long as there still is an inspired master plan. MK’s Tomorrowland revision is happening in phases but the design choices (and the budgets) seem to change direction every year.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Of interest to note, he also said that we should expect to hear the fate of the carousel building by the end of 2021. I'll believe that when I see it.

el_super

Star Tours is at another park.

But it's not at Disneyland, and that's what I don't understand with the concept of DL's Tomorrowland being broken. If we went by the straight number of attractions between the two, wouldn't Disneyland win? Past that you can go on and argue that Launch Bay and Path of the Jedi aren't really attractions, but as far as quality goes, doesn't Disneyland win again? Subs, Monorail, Space and Star Tours all opened as E tickets - so does the MK have 4 E ticket level Tomorrowland attractions? Maybe you can argue they will have two soon?

I understand that one could make the case that the Monorail and Subs are not E tickets any longer, but do we really want to pair them up to Stitch and Monster's Inc? And how many plans for "fixing" Tomorrowland advocate for keeping those two attractions in place out of nostalgia?

So what exactly needs to be "fixed" about Tomorrowland? The attraction count? The attraction density? Is it an issue with individual attractions? Or is it just the overall theme of the land? Lot of people seem to agree it's broken but not agree on the solution.

MK Tomorrowland also looks nicer

I will say that I like some of the more recent changes, but they're basically just following DL's footsteps in reverting back to a previous look and stripping away an past overlay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom