Any truth to any of this? (The latest on Tomorrowland Rumors following the pandemic)

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
I want to start this thread post off, by first saying that I am in no way intending to damage anyone's credibility or reputation within the theme park community. I am simply making this thread in favor of speculation and curiosity.

A couple of hours ago, Youtube user Alex the Historian uploaded a livestream on what he claims to be, the latest rumors regarding a Tomorrowland overhaul. In the livestream he made a few reasonable points as to what they'll be doing with TL in the future. Most of these points seem fairly realistic, especially considering the reduction of CapEx spending within the parks, so I thought it would be worth it to post the live here, so we can speculate on whether any of this seems credible, or is complete utter nonsense. Alex did make the claim, that TDA wanted to do away with IASW in 2018 along with ToonTown, but they were stopped by Kim Irvine and a few other Imagineers at the time, so the plans fell through and thankfully never came to fruition (yes, I am aware this already sounds completely unrealistic). He told me all of this last year (November 2020) in a comment section, and it seemed to be centered around a similar rumor from Micechat (which of course turned out to be complete utter nonsense), so he doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to some things. I'm sure that one instance was some sort of misunderstanding.

With that said however, these TL rumors, in the way they were presented in front of a fairly large audience, seem to hold some amount of credibility in my eyes, considering current circumstances. Let me know what you all think of this, and whether it seems realistic to any of you.

Again, this is in no way to discredit Alex in what he's been saying, but rather a thread created out of pure curiosity on what's to come, and whether any of this or some of this is indeed true.

(Skip to 50:55 to hear a recap of everything he mentioned in the live)

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
He lost credibility with me when he said Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be refreshed. There’s no way that will happen.
Yeah, I was pretty shocked myself. Then again, ripping them out would require much of the surrounding area (possibly even including The Autopia) to be removed and replaced entirely, which isn't necessarily the most financially feasible option with current CapEx reductions in place. Maybe this overhaul proposal is the most recent one stemming off of the Disneyland Forward project, as Disney may now see replacing attractions in the original park unnecessary (due to the additions DLR Forward may bring), and is now attempting to refresh all existing attractions within DLR over the next couple decades.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1618030246779.png

DanielBB8

Yeah, I was pretty shocked myself. Then again, ripping them out would require much of the surrounding area (possibly even including The Autopia) to be removed and replaced entirely, which isn't necessarily the most financially feasible option with current CapEx reductions in place. Maybe this overhaul proposal is the most recent one stemming off of the Disneyland Forward project, as Disney may now see replacing attractions in the original park unnecessary (due to the additions DLR Forward may bring), and is now attempting to refresh all existing attractions within DLR over the next couple decades.
Autopia being removed was always the same rumor in the New New Tomorrowland. Demolition is much cheaper than maintaining deteriorating attractions and should include People Mover tracks and Innoventions. Maybe the Monorail tracks will be shortened. This CapEx talk is an excuse. If they can’t afford it, doing nothing is what they always done.

britain

If true, it simply looks like they have decided to NOT to redo Tomorrowland. The next 10 years of Disneyland lies in the new area across the street. Maybe by 2030 there will be a new IP, a new executive, a new technology that will make an ambitious Tomorrowland redo worth considering again. And then it would take another 5 years to really happen.

BUT they know Tomorrowland needs some damage repair if it’s going to limp on for another 10-15 years. This sounds like they’re preparing for that.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
During his Q&A he talked about how the fireworks launchers that were used along the 2D hills behind ToonTown are now sitting on the northern side of the MMRR building now putting them 150 feet away from guest areas in ToonTown. He believes this could allow ToonTown to be open during fireworks.

He talked about how at one point it was considered to tear down the PM tracks and rebuild them to accommodate a Tron light cycle attraction around TL. Now the plan is to destroy the Carousel building and build an indoor Tron dark ride possibly getting rid of Pizza Planet if they need more room.

Buzz would be staying but get new ride tech and show scenes.

Star Tours would stay but get a few upgrades to queue scenes.

Nemo would stay, but get fresh paint on the plants in the lagoon and perhaps fix the EAC scene that got the shaft due to running out of budget.

Nothing to Space Mountain except a refresh on paint and such.

Autopia would remain but he expects with the advancement in solid-state battery technology that they could go to battery power some time in the next 5 years.

Monorail stays.

If PM tracks get demolished, Astro Orbitor would move to the back where the loading area for PM was, but stay at ground level.

He suggested that with the concrete falling off the Matterhorn that it would need to be demoed and completely rebuilt sometime in the next 10 years.

When asked about when we will get a new Fantasyland, he said we already have been. That the upgrades to Alice, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Snow White have been the new Fantasyland being done in stages, with Pinocchio being next and a debate going on at WDI as to whether to keep it and make it less scary or change it completely. He says that Tomorrowland would be done in stages in a similar way, one attraction at a time.

Oh, and the part we will all hate. He said that Joe Rhode was supposed to be in charge of the TL refurb, but states that it's now in the hands of..................Kim Irvine. He loves her. 🤮

That's about all I can remember. I don't believe any rumors until they are official. With DisneyForward happening I kinda expected it to be something like this if it actually happens. He never claims any of this is factual, only rumors that have come his way. (that was not a statement of defense, just repeating what he claims)

Brer Oswald

During his Q&A he talked about how the fireworks launchers that were used along the 2D hills behind ToonTown are now sitting on the northern side of the MMRR building now putting them 150 feet away from guest areas in ToonTown. He believes this could allow ToonTown to be open during fireworks.

He talked about how at one point it was considered to tear down the PM tracks and rebuild them to accommodate a Tron light cycle attraction around TL. Now the plan is to destroy the Carousel building and build an indoor Tron dark ride possibly getting rid of Pizza Planet if they need more room.

Buzz would be staying but get new ride tech and show scenes.

Star Tours would stay but get a few upgrades to queue scenes.

Nemo would stay, but get fresh paint on the plants in the lagoon and perhaps fix the EAC scene that got the shaft due to running out of budget.

Nothing to Space Mountain except a refresh on paint and such.

Autopia would remain but he expects with the advancement in solid-state battery technology that they could go to battery power some time in the next 5 years.

Monorail stays.

If PM tracks get demolished, Astro Orbitor would move to the back where the loading area for PM was, but stay at ground level.

He suggested that with the concrete falling off the Matterhorn that it would need to be demoed and completely rebuilt sometime in the next 10 years.

When asked about when we will get a new Fantasyland, he said we already have been. That the upgrades to Alice, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Snow White have been the new Fantasyland being done in stages, with Pinocchio being next and a debate going on at WDI as to whether to keep it and make it less scary or change it completely. He says that Tomorrowland would be done in stages in a similar way, one attraction at a time.

Oh, and the part we will all hate. He said that Joe Rhode was supposed to be in charge of the TL refurb, but states that it's now in the hands of..................Kim Irvine. He loves her. 🤮

That's about all I can remember. I don't believe any rumors until they are official. With DisneyForward happening I kinda expected it to be something like this if it actually happens. He never claims any of this is factual, only rumors that have come his way. (that was not a statement of defense, just repeating what he claims)
A few things:
1) What’s with the Tron obsession? Feels like fans want to put Tron in everything, even though the movie isn’t “relevant”.
2) “Demo and completely rebuild the Matterhorn”. LMAO. It’s possible, but if so, how come nobody else has mentioned that?
3) Why replace Pinocchio? I get that it’s one of the weaker FL dark rides, but why remove the IP? Do they really want to replace both of the company anthems?

britain

A few things:
1) What’s with the Tron obsession? Feels like fans want to put Tron in everything, even though the movie isn’t “relevant”.
2) “Demo and completely rebuild the Matterhorn”. LMAO. It’s possible, but if so, how come nobody else has mentioned that?
3) Why replace Pinocchio? I get that it’s one of the weaker FL dark rides, but why remove the IP? Do they really want to replace both of the company anthems?

1) It’s an IP that looks really good. Antithesis to Star Ward’s junky aged sci-if. Futuristic clothes/vehicles while not being tied down to any real predictions about actual technology. Fast bikes are always cool. And the Tron look is relatively easy to recreate in dark indoor settings.

2) I have heard the Matterhorn rebuild will be necessary... someday.

3) Only makes sense if they want to put something more popular in its place. Tangled? I don’t know.

Brer Oswald

1) It’s an IP that looks really good. Antithesis to Star Ward’s junky aged sci-if. Futuristic clothes/vehicles while not being tied down to any real predictions about actual technology. Fast bikes are always cool. And the Tron look is relatively easy to recreate in dark indoor settings.

2) I have heard the Matterhorn rebuild will be necessary... someday.

3) Only makes sense if they want to put something more popular in its place. Tangled? I don’t know.
I just don’t see the need to theme something to Tron if you just want “neon lights aesthetic”. Calling it “Tron” isn’t moving the turnstiles anymore than calling it something else.

I think Tangled’s popularity is on a timer, but that’s just me.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
A few things:
1) Couldn't agree more. As britain said, Tron can look cool in dark places, but I do feel like Disney is pushing so hard to make something that's not relevant to be relevant.

2) I should have made it more clear that this was his opinion based on the recent events of the chunk falling down, not necessarily something that's being talked about at WDI. I personally believe it was an isolated incident due to years of constant water hitting and eroding that piece of concrete. Water is a powerful eroder (or else the Grand Canyon wouldn't exist). I don't believe the entire mountain needs to be replaced. Just my opinion.

3) He had stated that things seem to be leaning more toward keeping it, but to expect them making it less scary given that's what they just did with Snow White. Toad refresh would come after Pinocchio.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Yeah, I was pretty shocked myself. Then again, ripping them out would require much of the surrounding area (possibly even including The Autopia) to be removed and replaced entirely, which isn't necessarily the most financially feasible option with current CapEx reductions in place.

Right, so maybe they won't rip out Autopia or the subs in the immediate future. But the subs are crazy expensive to maintain, and that whole corner of the park has been on the chopping block for some time. I don't see them meaningfully upgrading either attraction at this point.

Brer Oswald

Wait... is Pinocchio really considered scary? What would a less-scary version of that ride even look like?
I’m not sure. It was also mentioned that the ride would have its “problematic” elements removed, but aside from one particular doll near the beginning, I have no idea what they are referring to.

I think people are just enjoying the sport of having “problematic” elements removed from things.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I’m not sure. It was also mentioned that the ride would have its “problematic” elements removed, but aside from one particular doll near the beginning, I have no idea what they are referring to.

I think people are just enjoying the sport of having “problematic” elements removed from things.

I'm curious what doll you're referring to. One of the marionettes in the opening scene? I've ridden many times but don't believe I've ever noticed anything problematic.

And of course you're right; there is a subsection of "fans" determined to eliminate anything edgy, challenging, or dare I say artistic from the parks.

Pinocchio's Daring Journey is a fine attraction with a few great little moments, but it certainly could be dramatically improved. Removing it entirely makes little sense and IMO is unlikely (doesn't Disney have a forthcoming live action adaption?). And as you mentioned earlier, it would be such a loss to remove When You Wish Upon a Star from the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom