Any truth in this

peter11435

I'm not 100% sure they will reopen.

But then, I was reading these boards way back when folks on these boards said this pandemic would NEVER reach the USA, and that WDW would never close for this pandemic, and then they said it would reopen by Easter, and....
Certainly anything is possible. But I don’t think the public will be satisfied being restricted to their homes and restricted from gatherings forever and I find it highly unlikely billions of dollars in assets will be allowed to sit unutilized forever.

Bpmorley

So I have reservations for me and my nephew in August. it's gonna be hot, so hypothetically, they take our temperature and it high. So they don't allow us to enter the park? What would happen to that park ticket we paid for? They're don't do non-expiration anymore. We're only there 6 days and have a 4 day ticket. We'd be getting to BLT about 2 on the 23rd and leaving early on the 29th, so really only leaves 1 makeup day(wednesday) and that's the day we go from BLT to BCV.

Silveroak

Wouldn’t it make more sense to NOT open the hotels up and therefore put a damper on lots of out of state people just moving the germs around again? Back on airplanes and crowding in buses? What’s local is local and only so many people. It would be a slow but steady start and allow them to get procedures in place before opening the flood gates again. Igar already stated they are considering taking temperatures on those entering the parks, based on how China is trying to reopen. You will never make everyone happy at first, but I really think slow and cautious is going to win this race for everyone.

Wendy Pleakley

Wouldn’t it make more sense to NOT open the hotels up and therefore put a damper on lots of out of state people just moving the germs around again? Back on airplanes and crowding in buses? What’s local is local and only so many people. It would be a slow but steady start and allow them to get procedures in place before opening the flood gates again. Igar already stated they are considering taking temperatures on those entering the parks, based on how China is trying to reopen. You will never make everyone happy at first, but I really think slow and cautious is going to win this race for everyone.

It's so hard to say what the approach will or should be right now, as we don't know what it will look like.

Maybe airports will pre-screen people. Buses can be run with a limit on the number of guests onboard, and clean them between trips.

A soft opening with locals could be a way to get things going again, but the locals don't pay the bills the way tourists do. Running WDW takes money, and doing so with the relatively low revenue stream of local passholders, may not make sense.

tinker-ella

I don't post here often. The past few weeks have given me ample time to reflect on these issues. Please know that the following is just speculation and my own opinion.

I don't see how one profitably runs a theme park and maintains social distancing guidelines in any effective way. There are a lot of theoretical ideas that have been bandied about here, eliminating interior queues, reducing restaurant capacity, eliminating entertainment that promotes massed gatherings of people, etc. The bottom line is that a place like WDW or Universal are very expensive to run and if any theme park operator engages in these tactics to promote social distancing, the experience is going to be so compromised that admission prices would have to be slashed. This, in tandem with a practice like limiting the number of guests at the gate, would make the parks unprofitable to run. That being said, I don't foresee theme parks reopening until people can gather in crowds in a fairly normal fashion. Remember, even during events where admission to a park is very limited, you still end up with massed gatherings of people. People are not going to go to a place with employees barking at them to disperse or maintain separation. It's fundamentally counter to the purpose of the experience. Now, when this is all over with, I do hope some of the hygiene habits stay in practice.
As sad as this sounds, I do agree with your assessment. I certainly wouldn't want to pay big bucks for a Disney vacation, only to have limited attractions, shows, restaurants open. As much as we love Disney, I'd need to know their game plan before booking right now. (We're out-of-state annual passholders).

BASS

I'm a skeptic. I think there is just too much damn money to be made (and re-made) for Disney to limit its guests. I suspect they'll hire more cleaning crews (who'll be quite visible to guests) and perhaps limit park hours to give the appearance that it cares; when, in reality, the likelihood is that folks who willingly travel to Disney (or elsewhere) are voluntarily assuming a risk of CV-19 and Disney will be just fine with that.

TrojanUSC

I'm a skeptic. I think there is just too much damn money to be made (and re-made) for Disney to limit its guests. I suspect they'll hire more cleaning crews (who'll be quite visible to guests) and perhaps limit park hours to give the appearance that it cares; when, in reality, the likelihood is that folks who willingly travel to Disney (or elsewhere) are voluntarily assuming a risk of CV-19 and Disney will be just fine with that.

This. This is also why they'll err on the side of caution and open later. They'll lost more money operating a 1/4 park for two months rather than waiting for a 3/4 full one a month or two later.

Getachew

Unless it spreads rapidly, then there's a problem/

SpiteriFam

Rather than limit hours I would (once they feel compelled to open) go in the opposite direction.

I’d open all parks for all hours but limit severely the number of people allowed in each. This could be either hotel only guests or not (provided the maximum occupancy wasn’t met).

By having all the parks open for all the hours, you’re surely limiting the build up of crowds. If you only opened 50% of park capacity then even with less guests you would have more crowding.

Additional measures you could obviously be added where possible. Less people per bus, no buffets and of course more cleaning.

TrainsOfDisney

Rather than limit hours I would (once they feel compelled to open) go in the opposite direction.

I’d open all parks for all hours but limit severely the number of people allowed in each. This could be either hotel only guests or not (provided the maximum occupancy wasn’t met).

By having all the parks open for all the hours, you’re surely limiting the build up of crowds. If you only opened 50% of park capacity then even with less guests you would have more crowding.

Additional measures you could obviously be added where possible. Less people per bus, no buffets and of course more cleaning.

I agree 100% if the number 1 goal was to spread out the crowds. Unfortunately Disney will also be wanting, and needing to watch the budget, so I doubt we will see long hours.

It will be really interesting to see how this plays out.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I agree 100% if the number 1 goal was to spread out the crowds. Unfortunately Disney will also be wanting, and needing to watch the budget, so I doubt we will see long hours.

It will be really interesting to see how this plays out.
I've read the suggestion of crowds being something similar to 2001/2002 and 2008, after those events and recessions. The comparison being more like 2001/2002, that crowds may not be as large from people not wanting to be in large crowded areas. Plus, add in the amount of people currently out of work & or lost their job and may have to put their magic plans on hold for a year or two before heading back.
When the parks do open up, I also agree their goal will be to spread the crowds out, which I think how they do that will depend on the size of the attendance. How they handle this will be interesting and probably changing as needed.

TrojanUSC

I'm not understanding how reducing operational hours, even ostensibly, helps reduce spreading.

It doesn't but if they are going to limit capacity in any meaning fun way (which I think is still kind of silly given how easily this spreads), they'll lose money every hour its open beyond the minimum.

I'd assumed the logic is that by closing at 5pm or whatever, people will assume they will use all that extra time to clean? I don't know how it helps the optics.

jaklgreen

I think it's possible to at least disinfect the toilets and sink/s during daily resort room mousekeeping, using Clorox, instead of the cleaning supplies they're currently using for bathrooms.

I agree with you that park restrooms, are a whole other story.

Why would they need to disinfect the toilet seats between people for? Are you licking the seat? This is not transmitted through the skin. Wash your hands. There is this increased paranoia that people are falling into that is very disturbing.

jaklgreen

Reduced Hours, 9 - 5
Perhaps only a few resorts open
Temperature checks, hand sanitizer and masks (think of the marketing on the masks, mickey masks!)
Virtual line
One showing per week of a fireworks show.
Reduced food and beverage offering
no meet and greets, but there will be a parade.

Your plan is basically funneling people into less space. Not at all smart or practical.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Why would they need to disinfect the toilet seats between people for? Are you licking the seat? This is not transmitted through the skin. Wash your hands. There is this increased paranoia that people are falling into that is very disturbing.
First of all, It wasn't me who initiated the toilet seats' conversation. Second, if you read my posts, you'd clearly see that I'm referring to mousekeeping at Resort Rooms, which btw, many agree, could be better.

Just because we're all concerned about this virus, doesn't mean that we shouldn't adress other forms of infectious deseases.

Lastly, all I can say about your "licking the seat" comment is: Charming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom