Any truth in this

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hiring, training cast members - working out the knicks??
Sorry - Disney can't pay the Knicks enough to work for them.
1586136490936.png

HauntedMansionFLA

Disney is going to have an easier time hiring people since the economy is going to be so bad, lots of people looking for work...
They haven’t let anyone go yet. Plus, the transfer genie that does transfer request for cast members have been suspended. I see a hiring freeze at WDW. They have plenty of cast members.

Lilofan

They haven’t let anyone go yet. Plus, the transfer genie that does transfer request for cast members have been suspended. I see a hiring freeze at WDW. They have plenty of cast members.
That's another issue. When business slows, and a company has too many on the payroll, no one can not be so naive to know that restructuring and consolidating are not being looked into.

HauntedMansionFLA

That's another issue. When business slows, and a company has too many on the payroll, no one can not be so naive to know that restructuring and consolidating are not being looked into.
That’s why they cancelled the college program / international cultural representative program for the near future. Full time and part time cast members will be deployed to different areas with the most need.

Jayhawker

As they continue to Marriot-ify the resorts and de-theme them there is even less incentive to stay at a Disney hotel that is not part of a park visit...

I had been wondering and looking for a word to describe the newer Disney hotel properties (Riviera, Coronado Tower, etc.) other than being tall tower like structures far removed in overall layout and feel compared to earlier WDW accomodations. Most Disney World hotels/DVC/lodging were groups of low (2 to 3 stories for Poly, All-Stars, etc., maybe 4-5 stories for GF and some others) structures. Some other properties like WL and AKL were definitely taller, but they still feel like Disney resorts rather than just bland, non-descript hotel towers that I can find all over the country. These lower structures were highly advantageous for sight lines, especially around the Seven Seas Lagoon. I know, I know the Contemporary is tall, but there is a clear reason for this.

I believe your phrase, "Marriot-ify" perfectly describes the look and feel of the new properties. Now full disclosure, I have yet to stay at the new Coronado tower or the Riviera. I understand that Coronado is more of a convention property, and that they may have wanted to go for a more upscale look and feel. However, the Riviera also being a tall tower makes me think that this is probably the general design for any future Disney hotel/DVC accomodations. With Corona, any new hotel construction will not happen for the forseeable future. Still, when it is time to build again, I do hope that all Disney properties do not end up being towers.

Lilofan

That’s why they cancelled the college program / international cultural representative program for the near future. Full time and part time cast members will be deployed to different areas with the most need.
Full time cast working at the world pavilions in Epcot? Don't see it happening or Epcot even opening at all while the parks and resorts slowly open.

wishiwere@wdw

For whatever it’s worth (feel free to disagree with me), multiple scenarios are being discussed, including the one being described here. This also includes the what-ifs like remaining entirely closed for a year+. Not likely I know but just throwing it out there that this park opening with that one, phased openings, this resort area closed and this one open, etc are all being considered. Just sharing what I’ve heard.

I suspect (purely my opinion now!) that Epcot is being considered not just for the reasons mentioned in this thread (all of which are valid) but also because of profit margins. Locals in particular, which will likely make up a large chunk of guests early on after opening, spend more $$$ at Epcot vs any other park. Ironically, I was also told that Epcot would likely be the last phased in park to open a month or so ago so it would seem things are not surprisingly in a constant state of change. Basically, who knows ☹️

HauntedMansionFLA

For whatever it’s worth (feel free to disagree with me), multiple scenarios are being discussed, including the one being described here. This also includes the what-ifs like remaining entirely closed for a year+. Not likely I know but just throwing it out there that this park opening with that one, phased openings, this resort area closed and this one open, etc are all being considered. Just sharing what I’ve heard.

I suspect (purely my opinion now!) that Epcot is being considered not just for the reasons mentioned in this thread (all of which are valid) but also because of profit margins. Locals in particular, which will likely make up a large chunk of guests early on after opening, spend more $$$ at Epcot vs any other park. Ironically, I was also told that Epcot would likely be the last phased in park to open a month or so ago so it would seem things are not surprisingly in a constant state of change. Basically, who knows ☹️
They need a summer festival!!

peter11435

@wdwmagic @marni1971
How many restaurants are operated by Disney World vs. third party vendors in Epcot?

Food service in Mexico, China, Italy, Japan, France, and Morocco are all third party. Space 220 will also be third party.

Everything in Norway, Germany, America, United Kingdom, Canada and future world is operated by Disney.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

If anything it should be opened initially and exclusively to us Florida Resident APs. 🤷‍♂️

I agree....or maybe a combo of FL residents and FL AP.
It has nothing to do with entitled, and every thing to do with logic.

Disney can't know if the whole world is virus free, but we will likely reach a point where we can determine that a particular state has been virus free for x number of days. So if FL is virus free, and they only allow FL residents, it would be relatively safe to open. The main danger would be FL residents with recent travel exposure.

Widespread testing would have to be in place, and likely also tracing.

Personally, I also see WDW waiting until there's a vaccine, and it is safe for people with medical vulnerabilities, including the elderly, to travel.

peter11435

Personally, I also see WDW waiting until there's a vaccine, and it is safe for people with medical vulnerabilities, including the elderly, to travel.
That could likely be late next year with a majority vaccinated population not existing until sometime in 2022. I don’t think its realistic to expect WDW not to open until then if you expect them to be able to reopen at all.

UNCgolf

That could likely be late next year with a majority vaccinated population not existing until sometime in 2022. I don’t think its realistic to expect WDW not to open until then if you expect them to be able to reopen at all.

Even that is speculative. People are optimistic about a vaccine, but there's no guarantee one can be developed that is both safe and effective.

MickeyLuv'r

I don’t think its realistic to expect WDW not to open until then if you expect them to be able to reopen at all.

I'm not 100% sure they will reopen.

But then, I was reading these boards way back when folks on these boards said this pandemic would NEVER reach the USA, and that WDW would never close for this pandemic, and then they said it would reopen by Easter, and....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom