Any truth in this

MiddKid

I found it interesting to look through this photo report on how Universal Singapore has been operating with social distancing. They just announced they are going to close as well but as of today are still operating with these dramatic operational changes. Never say anything is impossible...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bread and butter is the basics, not the bulk. Translation lost over the Atlantic.
No...not lost in translation at all...I agree with the “bread and butter”...

I’m just going beyond your statement to ask: “how do they get enough of the money crowd back?”

Different question.

DVC will be their highest priority...no doubt. Anyone questioning that is nuts. They are guaranteed clientele, the highest earning overall segment, and requires LESS staffing. Though I have NO idea how they spin once a week housekeeping now? That’s an interesting sidebar.

APs and Florida residents are great for their flexibility/loyalty...but the per person spending is erratic. You don’t get the full ticket price...Florida residents are fickle as to when and what they’ll spend on. All those things are up in the air now too.

I don’t know how they open if they can’t resume the “big shot” onetime clientele now? Which is one of my fears about Iger from the start.

For my friends across the pond...when is it safe for a 3 week holiday in the fall in Florida? 4 months from now? Does that seem possible? Florida delayed the impact of this by a legit month...and this thing doesn’t “burn off” in the heat. And it’s a highly suspect population.

I’ll take the victory lap...this is why Eisner was better on the clientele. The frequent, loyal customer helps you in times of crisis. There was always gonna he a big recession and Bob was gonna go out the back door...that was a certainty. But this is a completely different twist. I expected another financial mismanagement crisis or hurricanes to crush Florida before I ever thought of a plague. I was wrong.

Just musing...you know me. Enjoy the “salad”.

ImperfectPixie

I’m just going beyond your statement to ask: “how do they get enough of the money crowd back?”

Different question.

DVC will be their highest priority...no doubt. Anyone questioning that is nuts. They are guaranteed clientele, the highest earning overall segment, and requires LESS staffing. Though I have NO idea how they spin once a week housekeeping now? That’s an interesting sidebar.

APs and Florida residents are great for their flexibility/loyalty...but the per person spending is erratic. You don’t get the full ticket price...Florida residents are fickle as to when and what they’ll spend on. All those things are up in the air now too.

I don’t know how they open if they can’t resume the “big shot” onetime clientele now? Which is one of my fears about Iger from the start.

For my friends across the pond...when is it safe for a 3 week holiday in the fall in Florida? 4 months from now? Does that seem possible? Florida delayed the impact of this by a legit month...and this thing doesn’t “burn off” in the heat. And it’s a highly suspect population.

I’ll take the victory lap...this is why Eisner was better on the clientele. The frequent, loyal customer helps you in times of crisis. There was always gonna he a big recession and Bob was gonna go out the back door...that was a certainty. But this is a completely different twist. I expected another financial mismanagement crisis or hurricanes to crush Florida before I ever thought of a plague. I was wrong.

I have a friend who is a DVC owner who lives near the New England area. She just said last night that she'd be 100% up for a trip that included resort-only activities as soon as WDW starts to re-open.

eliza61nyc

Different question.

Actually I was thinking that would be the easy part. I know many dvc'ers enjoy not having housekeeping and after this I think many would prefer knowing they could clean/sanitize to their own specific comfort level and not worry about some unknown person coming in.

can't give an opinion on Florida residents. DVC'ers I think are spenders in different ways. most I know don't do a lot of the spending on the souvenirs but do drop a wad on dining and the up sells.

I do think a lot will ride on how folks feel after we "flatten the curve". will we feel "comfortable". will we have a "V" economy where every thing bounces back quickly?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually I was thinking that would be the easy part. I know many dvc'ers enjoy not having housekeeping and after this I think many would prefer knowing they could clean/sanitize to their own specific comfort level and not worry about some unknown person coming in.

can't give an opinion on Florida residents. DVC'ers I think are spenders in different ways. most I know don't do a lot of the spending on the souvenirs but do drop a wad on dining and the up sells.

I do think a lot will ride on how folks feel after we "flatten the curve". will we feel "comfortable". will we have a "V" economy where every thing bounces back quickly?
I thought of that...the question is do they let the “members” determine their own standards of cleanliness for 6 outta 7 days a week?

Interesting

Thelazer

They’d lose money if they don’t bring back mass crowds.

I say this all the time...the profits are produced by mass numbers. Can’t restate that anymore. Having 25% capacity is a non-starter...likely so is 50%

Doesn't matter, if the crowds don't show. Disney can't just magically ginn up some crowds.
When they reopen, they get what they get and will adjust hours / operations to meet that.

If it means one person selling popcorn on main-street with no attractions open, they will do that.

Everyone seems to forget, that you can't just paper over demand with money.
Doesn't work that way.

Scare 100% of the country into not traveling, give them $20k bonus.. they still are not traveling.

wdw71fan

I've recently been tipped that a plan is being discussed to ONLY open MK and Epcot at first, with Studios coming online as crowds and cast increase.

We may not see operating in Animal Kingdom until Fall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Doesn't matter, if the crowds don't show. Disney can't just magically ginn up some crowds.
When they reopen, they get what they get and will adjust hours / operations to meet that.

If it means one person selling popcorn on main-street with no attractions open, they will do that.

Everyone seems to forget, that you can't just paper over demand with money.
Doesn't work that way.

Scare 100% of the country into not traveling, give them $20k bonus.. they still are not traveling.
What I’m saying is that a lot of the operational cost is guaranteed if you open back up. It’s not like 10% of crowd required 10% of the employees.

My guess...and it’s just that...is they need a minimum 50% to open up. Perhaps they can do a limited timeframe ramp of a week or two at lower...but the large scale business is like a bicycle...you have to keep peddling to get up to speed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've recently been tipped that a plan is being discussed to ONLY open MK and Epcot at first, with Studios coming online as crowds and cast increase.

We may not see operating in Animal Kingdom until Fall.
Animal kingdom is sunk cost...it makes more sense to open there...

Unless it’s about containing the activity to one area...which could indicate resort alignment in some fashion?

Simba’s Mom

WDW would probably rethinking loading guests and pack them in like sardines in buses, monorails, ferryboats, boating craft, as other examples. Not only do we need to pack a lot of $$ but we need to pack a lot of patience.
Packing people in like sardines has been a critical piece of their business plan in recent years. It's going to be fascinating to see how they approach this moving forward.

This question is exactly why I'm not comfortable with going to WDW when it reopens, until I hear about how all this is being handled. I do remember Disney encouraging everyone to "fill in all available space", stand more closely together on buses, etc. I've already rescheduled my September trip to January, just in case. But fortunately I had enough DVC points to reserve January, and still keep my September reservation, just in case the question of packing guests in like sardines gets answered sooner.

RememberWhen

I have a friend who is a DVC owner who lives near the New England area. She just said last night that she'd be 100% up for a trip that included resort-only activities as soon as WDW starts to re-open.
We’re DVC with a trip planned for 4th of July. It’s supposed to be a couple days, a DCL Cruise, then a week. We’re not canceling yet, but I suspect that DCL is going to cancel the cruise. We’re a big group (17 total—it’s supposed to be a trip for my mother’s 70th) and I’m sure some of us would cancel. But some of us would definitely stay for just a resort stay. Or even with just a couple of parks open. Probably. It would be a significantly different trip, but I would expect Disney would add a little entertainment at the resorts and if there were restaurants and the pool, I could see it being okay. But we’ve got a smaller trip booked next February. And maybe a few days in December. This is all a lot. The uncertainty is what makes it hardest.

Kman101

As they continue to Marriot-ify the resorts and de-theme them there is even less incentive to stay at a Disney hotel that is not part of a park visit...

Yep. I can often find good to great rates elsewhere and be just as close ultimately. Haven't stayed truly on property since the 2006-2008 timeframe.

Kman101

The guest that cast members hate the most👹👺🤡

Actually not true. I'm sure they hate the many entitled ones, of course. Not all of us are terrible humans who demand special attention. LOL. The casual guests screaming at them for every little thing they hate a little bit more ;) Now Disneyland AP'ers at Disneyland who camp out at all day ... I can believe that one.

wdw71fan

Animal kingdom is sunk cost...it makes more sense to open there...

Unless it’s about containing the activity to one area...which could indicate resort alignment in some fashion?

MK and Epcot can share infrastructure.. Additional, from what understand transportation will likely reopen using busing ONLY.. no boats, monorails or skyliner.

DoleWhipDrea

Haha, there seems to be plenty of entitlement to go around between all types of guests! The type of pass one uses to get into the parks doesn’t determine how awful the guest is. I hope Disney doesn’t exclude any type of ticketed guest and I don’t think they’ll want to.

Disney will ultimately have to rely on locals heavily in the beginning. There will be travelers eager to reschedule their trips right away, but restrictions between countries may still be in effect, people will have to go back to work and have to re-schedule their time off, budgets may be ruined from the effects of a changing economy, etc. A lot of people have lost their jobs in just a few weeks...

Here is a crazy thought Disney could open the parks to only those individuals who have contracted covid-19 and have recovered. They can't spread it, can't catch it

No, sadly one can catch it again. There’s no “immunity” after having recovered from it. The only thing that will protect one from catching it will be getting whatever vaccine is developed...which won’t help us now, as it’s estimated to take a year.

A big part of the problem with this virus is that we’re still learning about it. People think they take the necessary precautions and yet they still catch it. China is now entering a second wave - they loosened restrictions too soon. We just don’t know enough and guessing means gambling with lives.

Ultimately, Disney is the type of company that’s going to err on the side of caution. They did wait too long to close to help flatten the curve, but they were also one of the first to lead in that initiative over the government, encouraging other businesses to follow suit. Orange County didn’t enact their stay at home order until last week.

Lilofan

MK and Epcot can share infrastructure.. Additional, from what understand transportation will likely reopen using busing ONLY.. no boats, monorails or skyliner.
That's a number of specially trained cast that are not needed to work if those transportation options are not needed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
No, sadly one can catch it again. There’s no “immunity” after having recovered from it. The only thing that will protect one from catching it will be getting whatever vaccine is developed...which won’t help us now, as it’s estimated to take a year.

A big part of the problem with this virus is that we’re still learning about it. People think they take the necessary precautions and yet they still catch it. China is now entering a second wave - they loosened restrictions too soon. We just don’t know enough and guessing means gambling with lives.
Time magazine has a good article on Covid-19 reinfection...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom