Any suggestions on traveling w/money options?

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
My husband and I are trying to figure out how to take money to disney. I don't like using credit cards because I seem to have a problem submitting the payments (oh, I'll pay it next month type thing), and I don't want to travel with my bank account debit visa incase it gets stolen (takes forever to get all the money back). I was wondering about using the prepaid visa card that AAA offers. Does anyone know anything about these? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions? thank you in advance.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you feel comfortable traveling with cash, I believe most of the resort rooms have in room safes where you keep the key. We did that and used our Disney Visa. I know what you mean about the credit cards, they can build up fast at WDW....they put something in the air to make you want to spend more....

Upvote 0

coln84

moriah said:
My husband and I are trying to figure out how to take money to disney. I don't like using credit cards because I seem to have a problem submitting the payments (oh, I'll pay it next month type thing), and I don't want to travel with my bank account debit visa incase it gets stolen (takes forever to get all the money back). I was wondering about using the prepaid visa card that AAA offers. Does anyone know anything about these? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions? thank you in advance.

Are you staying at the resort? If so, when you get there put cash on your room key so you can use that while your visiting. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Well, We are staying at the shades of green. I am not sure if they put money on your room key or not. But, that sounds like an option. Is there any type of protection on these cards if they become lost or stolen?

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

We have used those prepaid cards and they work just like a credit card;and you can get a balance from any ATM. We have also used those old-fashioned travelers checks. Those are well protected against theft.

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

Sorry for the second response - yes, if you get a card with theft protection. Check with AAA, also most banks have them also now. We paid a small fee for the additional protection, but I felt itwas worth it.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

We usually use cash and traveller's checks. I prefer having a set amount. When we went this fall, I just used my Disney Visa, and I didn't feel as in control of my spending as I usually do. It was easy to get caught up in the just charge it mentality. I don't know how people stand charging on their room key--I think I'd be bankrupt. :xmas:

Upvote 0

coln84

moriah said:
Well, We are staying at the shades of green. I am not sure if they put money on your room key or not. But, that sounds like an option. Is there any type of protection on these cards if they become lost or stolen?

I would imagine so, but if there was a travel agent or someone who works there knows that would help. However, if you put money on your key, at least you can use it anyhwere while on property (except for baloons and toys at fantasmic) plus its your key, admission ticket (if you put them on) and you'll need it for fastpasses. However, I have had a key linked to a card and lost it on the cruise and it was no hassel at all. Another thing, I highly doubt Disney is really the place you have to worry about someone stealing. I have left my car unlocked in thier parking lots all day before and nothing was missing or touched.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We usually bring cash and also have extra in our account that we can tap thru an ATM in the resorts. I bring my Disney Visa also, but try not to use it. :lookaroun

We add charging privileges to our room keys and our oldest daughter's (17 y/o). That way when she takes her sister to the gift shop or snack bar or heads off on her own she is covered and you don't need to carry cash into the parks. Since the room key is also your admission ticket you always have it with you. We pay off the balance before we leave the resort.

Upvote 0

barnum42

In the UK we have debit cards, in both Visa and Mastercard flavours. You can use them wherever credit cards are accepted (most places, including vendor carts in Disney). Unlike credit cards they money is taken automatically from your account, so you would not have to worry about remembering to make the payment (Just make sure you have enough money in your account to cover the purchases in the first place).

I would assume a similar thing is available in America?

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

moriah said:
and I don't want to travel with my bank account debit visa incase it gets stolen (takes forever to get all the money back).
If you take cash and it gets stolen you'll NEVER get it back.

Either take a credit card and MAKE sure that you pay when your first bill arrives after you return, or set up a credit on your Disney Room (by doing this you have to present a credit card) and pay when you leave - so you'll still have a credit card bill to settle when it arrives on your door step

Upvote 0

Debbie

Traveling with cash on vacation seems crazy, but that's how we do it. My husband and I split it up, with me having the big bills. He pays for everything as we go, and as he needs a refill; I give it to him before we leave the hotel room. We've used the safe in our rooms before. We never carry our money in wallets, or purses, only in our front pocket. We only have one credit card and pay it off every month, so I guess we use it like a debit card of sorts.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Debbie said:
Traveling with cash on vacation seems crazy, but that's how we do it. My husband and I split it up, with me having the big bills. He pays for everything as we go, and as he needs a refill; I give it to him before we leave the hotel room. We've used the safe in our rooms before. We never carry our money in wallets, or purses, only in our front pocket. We only have one credit card and pay it off every month, so I guess we use it like a debit card of sorts.

We usually split the money also...my hubby & I and lately Lil'mermaid gets some too. That way you are never without cash in case a wallet or purse is lost or stolen. We leave the cash (and the credit cards) in the safe . When we are in the parks we charge back to the room and pay it off as we check out.

Upvote 0

Mystic

When we go down we take a credit card that the hotel room is charged to and that is the only thing the credit card is used for. We take $1000 each (my mom and I) in a combination of traveller's cheques and cash. We make use of the in room safe while we're there because we only carry at max $200 ($100 in cash, $100 in traveller's cheques) on us each day.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

barnum42 said:
In the UK we have debit cards, in both Visa and Mastercard flavours. You can use them wherever credit cards are accepted (most places, including vendor carts in Disney). Unlike credit cards they money is taken automatically from your account, so you would not have to worry about remembering to make the payment (Just make sure you have enough money in your account to cover the purchases in the first place).

I would assume a similar thing is available in America?
Absolutely correct there Barnum!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

If we take cash we put some in the safe and hubby and I split the money, he gets a few large bills, I get a few that way we are covered just in case. I don't take a purse down usually to the parks, just give my hubby the license and debit card for his wallet, the rest stays back at home.

We usually end up just using the room key and paying if off before we leave the hotel for home.

Upvote 0

DisneyMissy

I only used cash that last time me and my husband went and will be doing the same for our next trip. I held some of the money and he held some as well and we kept it in different spots on us. I don't take a credit card to Disney. I did take my debit card just in case but did not use it. Since we are staying in a resort this time I like the idea of putting cash on my room key! I may do that this time around.

Upvote 0

Raven66

My hubby and I each carry about 150.00 and the rest comes from our debit. I balance the checkbook each night when we get back to the room. I carry mine in my camera bag in a special place and my hubby has his wallet which he puts in the pack. So it never leaves our bodies.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

I've always preferred plastic. Cash is too easy to loose and too hard to replace. With plastic, wether credit or debit, just remember to record each disbursement in your check book just like a check. Also a plastic card is alot easier to carry around. No bulky wallet or purse to carry around.
I do believe you can put a "deposit" on your room key and use the key as a debit card against your deposit. Only problem is when you forget to add to the deposit and "run out of money". The most important thing is to relax, have fun and enjoy the magic.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

WTBAD said:
I've always preferred plastic. Cash is too easy to loose and too hard to replace. With plastic, wether credit or debit, just remember to record each disbursement in your check book just like a check. Also a plastic card is alot easier to carry around. No bulky wallet or purse to carry around.
I do believe you can put a "deposit" on your room key and use the key as a debit card against your deposit. Only problem is when you forget to add to the deposit and "run out of money". The most important thing is to relax, have fun and enjoy the magic.

We use our credit card for that and pay off the balance before we leave (with the cash we brought along).... you never run out that way

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom