Any suggestions on traveling w/money options?

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
My husband and I are trying to figure out how to take money to disney. I don't like using credit cards because I seem to have a problem submitting the payments (oh, I'll pay it next month type thing), and I don't want to travel with my bank account debit visa incase it gets stolen (takes forever to get all the money back). I was wondering about using the prepaid visa card that AAA offers. Does anyone know anything about these? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions? thank you in advance.

Mori Anne

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Questions with regards to Travelers Checks?

Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appriciate them. I think I might go with the travelers checks and take a visa card incase the inevitable happens. But, I see that you can get visa travel checks and also american express travel checks which ones are better? How do you get change from these? Is it cash? Do the counter service eating places at Disney take travelers checks? Thank you again in advance :)

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

I've used travlers checks in the past at Disney (American Express from my Credit Union, no extra charge) and when I used one they gave me cash for change, which is just as good as money! Last year I just carried cash, my wife had the debit card and she would just to the balance in the room each evening so we knew how much we were spending.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

moriah said:
Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appriciate them. I think I might go with the travelers checks and take a visa card incase the inevitable happens. But, I see that you can get visa travel checks and also american express travel checks which ones are better? How do you get change from these? Is it cash? Do the counter service eating places at Disney take travelers checks? Thank you again in advance :)

We've used both and there really isn't any difference. They are treated like a check, but you get cash back as change. Try not to get too many large denomination ones, because some places may not have the change when you need it.
We never traveled with just Traveler's cheques, we usually do half and half. To be honest we no longer use them because we found that splitting up the cash works better for us.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I'm a Disney Visa card user on vacation becasue I figure what I spend is helping fund the NEXT trip! :lol:

Just wanted to add though, with regard to travelers checks...you should check with your bank, as many sell them to their own customers without a service charge. To get them online, there is often a hefty fee. You will probably end up using whichever brand your bank can give you for the lowest additional cost!

HAVE FUN!

:wave:

Upvote 0

Debbie

tigsmom said:
We usually split the money also...my hubby & I and lately Lil'mermaid gets some too. That way you are never without cash in case a wallet or purse is lost or stolen. We leave the cash (and the credit cards) in the safe . When we are in the parks we charge back to the room and pay it off as we check out.

I know you and I have the same point: when we finish our trip; we make sure we are not paying on it for the next two years!

Upvote 0

saltmom1

The prepaid Visa cards are OK. My daughter used one in Europe last year, but found it difficult to keep track of the balance. There is a charge to get one. She got hers at AAA and it was less expensive than getting it at a bank or credit union.
Traveler's check can only be bought at your bank because of the Patriot Act. Everything must be attached to your account number.
Merry Christmas everyone ! ( or Hannukkah or Kwaanza )

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom