Any Monorail News?

Joepic

This thread is pretty funny. I like the new Monorail concept for DL, I just can't really picture it in WDW, they look too modern and don't 'fit' with WDW, in my opinion. maybe because I'm so used to the current Monorails. I don't feel right about the Monorails running on the ground, because travel would be a lot more limited-over roads, trees, water, ect.

Having the monorails run through all the parks will probably never happen. It would cost too much money and would take years and years to complete. Besides all the construction debris would really impact WDW's visual appeal...in my opinion.

jmvd20

Having the monorails run through all the parks will probably never happen. It would cost too much money and would take years and years to complete. Besides all the construction debris would really impact WDW's visual appeal...in my opinion.

The system could be built quickly. All of the pylons and beams are pre-cast so it goes up very quick. More along the lines of months as opposed to years.

mickeymouse2818

Having them linked to all four parks would be great, however there are only two downsides I can think about. From the times that I have parked hopped, say from Epcot to Animal Kingdom, the buses were never full. Using the monorails to park hop like that would be a waist of money because the monorails would never run at full capacity. To add more guests onto those monorails, the monorail would have to stop at every park just to add guests.If the monorail were to stop at every park, there would also be a conflict with each park's open and closing times. Personally, I'd rather stay with the buses.

Buried20KLeague

Does anyone know what the probable lifespan of the columns and track are? I'd assume we'll reach a point in time where it costs more in maintenance (and down time) to keep them up and running than the bean counters will allow... I'm sure it's WAYYYYY down the road, but the fact is they're concrete... I've got to imagine they've got an "end of useful life". :shrug:

Anyone know?

I hate to barge in, but I'm guessing no one has a potential answer for the above question I posted on page uno?

MickeyTigg

I wish Disney will link all four of the parks together with the monorail. I hate whating for the buses it takes so long for the next bus to come around. The monorails are much faster. It will be much better for park hopping. It will also be great for the earth. The monorail doesn't use up all the gas that the buses do.

At park closing for Epcot and MK I really don't think that the Monorails load any faster than the buses. People just like the Monorails better because they're...cool.

jmvd20

I hate to barge in, but I'm guessing no one has a potential answer for the above question I posted on page uno?

They will last a very long time - I doubt they will last a googolplex years but eleventy-billion years is possible as long as they are maintained properly.

cloudboy

It cost $1 million per mile in 1971. Recent estimates have put the BEAM ONLY estimate anywhere between $1.2 -$2.00 BILLION.

By a bunch of people who have no clue about monorails and still insist that switches are difficult and expensive, don't uinderstand teh construction costs and design issue, and are only looking to knock down monorails because they want the money to be spend on new rides to keep them coming back instead.

There have been several threads in the past few years discussing these issues. Every point that has been brought up has been argued extensively, all sorts of data provided, and still the same excuses keep coming back as though they are hard and fast facts. Whether or not the monorails would be a good idea, too many people throw out false facts virtually guaranteeing that Disney would never build a monorail again simply due to the bad publicity. Why can't people just state that they don't like the thing and don't want the company to spend any more money on anything other than rides?

MickeyTigg

Personally, I think monorail access to all 4 parks would increase attendance to DAK and DMGM. MK an EC have the highest attendance, they're also both on the monorail...coincidence?

The monorail has absolutely nothing to do with the attendance of these parks. MK an Epcot have the most attractions and the most to do. AK has made great strides in attendance recently because of Everest and Nemo....it's almost caught up to the Studios...no monorail. With or without a monorail, the Studios will languish until they give people a reason to go there.

Glen Quagmire

Having them linked to all four parks would be great, however there are only two downsides I can think about. From the times that I have parked hopped, say from Epcot to Animal Kingdom, the buses were never full. Using the monorails to park hop like that would be a waist of money because the monorails would never run at full capacity. To add more guests onto those monorails, the monorail would have to stop at every park just to add guests.If the monorail were to stop at every park, there would also be a conflict with each park's open and closing times. Personally, I'd rather stay with the buses.
I agree with you but then again i somewhat disagree. Yes the buses are empty but that is because I feel that most resort guests just go back to their resort because the bus situation can be exhausting(in some peoples minds). They take a break then head on a bus from their resort. I think if Disney Made direct monorail routes from each park they wouldnt have too much trouble running at full capacity. i also realise that this is expensive and somewhat unrealistic. My point is a bus brings about negative fealings(crowded, hot, city public transportation) while a monorail is always looked in a positive light because its different and futuristic. Maybe some sort of creative light rail system would do the trick but hey we all know none of this is going to happen anyway. Alright, good talk.

JWG

I don't think the different open/close times would affect the monorail. All stations are outside the ticketing area and station's could be bypassed for closed parks.

Heck, if they really plan and invest, they could create a staion bypass that allows for express monorails (similar to many city commuter train systems). The station is off the main track so they could 1) park monorails at a station and not block the track and 2) bypass stations to have a "DAK - Epcot Express" for example and not have to worry about running into "stopped" trains.

I'd love to see them expand the monorail system. I, too, hate the bus system. It takes a long time to get a bus at times, they're dirty and loud, they take up significant space on the roads due to their numbers.

Heck, I'd settle for Webway People Mover's throughout the grounds.

DisneyDefenders

Monorails To All 4 Parks Means More $$$ For Disney

It was mentioned that running the monorail to all 4 parks wouldn't work because of different park operating hours.

I would proport, that is precisely why you want the monorail to run to all 4 parks.

You see, right now, if a family that is not staying at a Disney Resort parks their car at Animal Kingdom, spends the beginning of their day there and then park hops over to Magic Kingdom...they have to cut their day short to get back over to Animal Kingdom in time before the buses stop running there, so they can get to their car. Hence, they don't spend the additional hours at Magic Kingdom and end up spending their money for dinner and other recreation possibly off Disney property.

If the monorails ran to all 4 Disney parks, and gave you access to their parking lots until 2 hours after the last park closed, that problem would be eliminated, and Disney could earn the money they are losing right now.

JML42691

It was mentioned that running the monorail to all 4 parks wouldn't work because of different park operating hours.

I would proport, that is precisely why you want the monorail to run to all 4 parks.

You see, right now, if a family that is not staying at a Disney Resort parks their car at Animal Kingdom, spends the beginning of their day there and then park hops over to Magic Kingdom...they have to cut their day short to get back over to Animal Kingdom in time before the buses stop running there, so they can get to their car. Hence, they don't spend the additional hours at Magic Kingdom and end up spending their money for dinner and other recreation possibly off Disney property.

If the monorails ran to all 4 Disney parks, and gave you access to their parking lots until 2 hours after the last park closed, that problem would be eliminated, and Disney could earn the money they are losing right now.
If a person were to park their car and then park hop by means of busses, they woulld be wasting their time. When you park in the park parking lots, you save your reciet and use it to gain free parking at any of the other parks that day. And when you travel using your own car, you will probably get their at about the same time because you wouldn't have to wait for a bus. I don't mean to critisize, but your logic does not make all that much sense.

And to add into the monorail expansion, when we joined DVC this year, the agent told us that there is the possibility of using Disney land to expand the monorail, but right after she said this she added, "BUT THAT IS PROBABLY NEVER going to happen and that she was only legaly obligated to tell us." Adding a monorail would cost BILLIONS of dollars with $0 in revenue. The buses are just fine for park-park transportation and they are converting the busses to more enviormentally friendly designs. And to the person that said that busses are too city-like and depressing, until you have been on a true city bus, do not make that comparison. Boston busses are becoming better, but they are disgusting, NOTHING like a Disney bus.

Running a [clean:lol: ] bus between parks and only having to pay for the fuel, driver's pay, and bus maintenance is a hell of a lot cheaper than adding a multi-BILLION dollar monorail sytem that will not generate and income to the parks at all. Like someone said right before. Would you rather a 2+ billion dollar monorail, or 20-40 more E-tickets?? I don't think that question needs answering.

Bratstarman

Running a [clean:lol: ] bus between parks and only having to pay for the fuel, driver's pay, and bus maintenance is a hell of a lot cheaper than adding a multi-BILLION dollar monorail sytem that will not generate and income to the parks at all. Like someone said right before. Would you rather a 2+ billion dollar monorail, or 20-40 more E-tickets?? I don't think that question needs answering.

20-40 more E-tickets? Oh come now - the monorail must cost trillions, quadrillions, or even gazillions, given the inflated estimates I see here.

Champion

Based on what definition of "safe"?

Based on projecting the 1971 cost of the monorail onto what it would cost today, and expanding it to a park wide system. Also taking into account the cost of newer monorail systems, such as the one in Vegas.

For instance: Here's one site. http://www.austinmonorail.org/monorail_costs.htm
$87m a mile actual construction cost.

That would be about 23 miles of track. This isn't enough for an entire property monorail. Not to mention that the LV monorail is just a straight line, and not in swampland.
So, if you take the 'should have been' figure on that page, which is $50m, and you add the costs of the necessary turns and sinking pylons and road crossings and such, you would be right back to the $87m number again, which (and I have no facts for this part, but I'm going to state it anyway) would be LOW on what actually happens -- I'd estimate it would cost $100m a mile total for WDW property.

Bratstarman

Based on projecting the 1971 cost of the monorail onto what it would cost today, and expanding it to a park wide system. Also taking into account the cost of newer monorail systems, such as the one in Vegas.

For instance: Here's one site. http://www.austinmonorail.org/monorail_costs.htm
$87m a mile actual construction cost.

That would be about 23 miles of track. This isn't enough for an entire property monorail. Not to mention that the LV monorail is just a straight line, and not in swampland.
So, if you take the 'should have been' figure on that page, which is $50m, and you add the costs of the necessary turns and sinking pylons and road crossings and such, you would be right back to the $87m number again, which (and I have no facts for this part, but I'm going to state it anyway) would be LOW on what actually happens -- I'd estimate it would cost $100m a mile total for WDW property.

To use technical jargon, the acronym for such estimates is PIDOOMA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom