Any major dislikes of PORFQ?

Looking at a potential trip for next year.. Thinking PORFQ is a possibility.

Does anyone have any bad experiences or stuff they didn't like about the resort?

DizneyPryncess

I can only sing praises about PO. I stayed at the FQ side, but we walked to Riverside all the time, and we loved both sides. FQ was smaller & quieter, and we liked the pool there better. Riverside had a lot of activities, and was really scenic, so we'd have no problems staying there either.

Try the beignet's in the cafeteria ~ delicious! And the ferry ride to DTD is fast & convenient. We never waited long for the buses. If I had any critiques I'd tell you, but we really loved it there!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
My stay there is 23 days away instead of right now is a MAJOR dislike.:lookaroun

In all seriousness there is not too much to dislike and now with the room refurb there is even less to dislike but if i had to pick something i would say the food court? :shrug:
But thats a stretch to call it a dislike.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We have stayed here twice (and we've just decided that we're returning here for our next WDW trip).

There are NO dislikes to POFQ but there are two minor things which could be better. 1) Buses - Always visit Riverside afterwards which lengthens your journey time to the parks and leads to overcrowding. 2) Water transportation to DTD always starts at Riverside and you can be waiting at POFQ while full boats go by.

Other than that - a great resort

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

We have stayed here twice (and we've just decided that we're returning here for our next WDW trip).

There are NO dislikes to POFQ but there are two minor things which could be better. 1) Buses - Always visit Riverside afterwards which lengthens your journey time to the parks and leads to overcrowding. 2) Water transportation to DTD always starts at Riverside and you can be waiting at POFQ while full boats go by.

Other than that - a great resort

Actually, the bus to Magic Kingdom always goes straight to Magic Kingdom after picking up at FQ. Either way, you are first on and first off. Gotta like that!

Upvote 0

Doombuggy13

Loved the resort, one of the best! Pool was great! Theming was wonderful.
However, when I went in 2008 the busses were horrible! Waited one morning for 45 min for a MK bus and ended up needing to get a taxi to make our breakfast reservations at Crystal Palace.
So this year, since there are five of us we had to book at Riverside so we could get a trundel bed room. So I guess I get to give Port Orleans bus service another try but no breakfast reservations this year.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

POFQ is by far my favorite resort, and the only one I stay at anymore...

POR is better if you have younger kids in your group as it has more activities for them.

POFQ is better for adults and older teens. Although over the years, they have tried to make it a bit more family oriented like showing outdoor movies on warm evenings on Beignet Square...

As to the busses that is COMPLETELY dependent on the time of year you go and the resort capacity level...There are times that the busses go ONLY to POFQ and never go to Riverside....and there are times that they go to both. Usually, POFQ has dedicated busses to Epcot and to Magic Kingdom all morning long (they share busses back from all the parks except MK). The busses are dispatched by a strange mathematical paradigm and are different almost every day. That being said, I have never had a wait longer than 10 minutes for any bus (except Downtown Disney which runs every 30 minutes) and that is in 14 plus stays at POFQ.

They do slow bus service during the afternoon, especially between 12 - 3, and then the bus service is heavy on returns from DHS and AK from early afternoon onwards as people leave those half-day parks and head back to the resorts to regroup and start park hopping for the rest of the day...That can mean, at times, that you have increased waits at the resort between 2 - 4

The Boats to DD are also completely dependent on the time of day and the time of year....they run about every 10 minutes most of the afternoon onwards...but if you wait until 6 pm to go down to DD for dinner, you will find that both POR and POFQ can have long waits for the boats. Go an hour earlier at 5 and you will share the boat with 20 other people from both resorts combined...like everything else at WDW, if you don't want crowds, do good time management and go down an hour earlier...

I highly (but reluctantly) always recommend POFQ to my adult friends -- reluctant because it used to be quiet and low capacity and now the secret is out and it is always full...

Upvote 0

Rob562

Other than all the masks in the food court freaking DS out, not a thing :lol:

Actually, that was going to be my one critique as well... The giant masks and props in the FQ food court creep me out. :lol:
I know the theme is a float-building warehouse, but it comes across as a little TOO warehouse, with tables just kinda plopped in the middle of it.

The Riverside food court is much better themed (and less scary), and I think its layout feels more like an eating establishment rather than an open room with tables.

-Rob

Upvote 0

donvincenzo

I too have stayed at FQ several times and have no complaints. It's a great resort especially for a moderate.

I also second that make sure you get the beignets, they're delicious and as far as I know, only available here.

One thing to note that isn't a big deal to me but can be to some people is that there is no on-site table service restaurant, only the food court. Riverside does have a table service restaurant that you could walk over to for dinner if you wanted.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Our favorite resort!! Only problem was on one trip we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and the mousekeeper came right in without knocking! She didn't speak English either. Good thing we were dressed! Went and told guest services and it never happened again. Only time we had a problem in many many visits. Have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I can't think of anything I don't like about POFQ. :shrug: It is by far my favorite resort. I am not a fan of Riverside though. Way too big and crowded for me. Foodcourt was always a zoo and it took way too long to walk anywhere. After a long day in the parks the last thing I want is to walk another 10 minutes just to get to my room.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

POFQ is by far my favorite resort, and the only one I stay at anymore...

POR is better if you have younger kids in your group as it has more activities for them.

POFQ is better for adults and older teens. Although over the years, they have tried to make it a bit more family oriented like showing outdoor movies on warm evenings on Beignet Square...

As to the busses that is COMPLETELY dependent on the time of year you go and the resort capacity level...There are times that the busses go ONLY to POFQ and never go to Riverside....and there are times that they go to both. Usually, POFQ has dedicated busses to Epcot and to Magic Kingdom all morning long (they share busses back from all the parks except MK). The busses are dispatched by a strange mathematical paradigm and are different almost every day. That being said, I have never had a wait longer than 10 minutes for any bus (except Downtown Disney which runs every 30 minutes) and that is in 14 plus stays at POFQ.

They do slow bus service during the afternoon, especially between 12 - 3, and then the bus service is heavy on returns from DHS and AK from early afternoon onwards as people leave those half-day parks and head back to the resorts to regroup and start park hopping for the rest of the day...That can mean, at times, that you have increased waits at the resort between 2 - 4

The Boats to DD are also completely dependent on the time of day and the time of year....they run about every 10 minutes most of the afternoon onwards...but if you wait until 6 pm to go down to DD for dinner, you will find that both POR and POFQ can have long waits for the boats. Go an hour earlier at 5 and you will share the boat with 20 other people from both resorts combined...like everything else at WDW, if you don't want crowds, do good time management and go down an hour earlier...

I highly (but reluctantly) always recommend POFQ to my adult friends -- reluctant because it used to be quiet and low capacity and now the secret is out and it is always full...

Great post! This can be said for any resort. That is how you deal with bus service.

Upvote 0

Firepath

We have also stayed at FQ several times at different times of year and it is our favorite resort. The only negative we ever experienced was the last week of Sept. in 2009. It was really hot and humid. We were in Building 1 right on the river. Every night when we came back to our room there were several brown frogs on our door and the surrounding walls, once even on the door . I'm not sure if this was just the time of year or if other resorts have the frogs too. We stayed at AK the same trip and never saw frogs anywhere. If frogs freak you out, you might want to choose a room further from the water.

Upvote 0

El-Fuego

Stayed at Riverside, June 2010 for second time and once again loved it. Dropped into French Quarter to give it the once over but it didn't really appeal. The food court isn't as good and the leafy walks in Riverside cannot be surpassed. There's certainly more to the Riverside development and yes it is spread out but that's the appeal. What could be better than a slow leisurely walk after all the hustle and bustle of the parks and it looks a treat all lit up at night. Even when it's busy it doesn't seem so, except when you go to the food court which can be a little crowded at times.

I don't know if there's a price difference but if not I would 100% go with Riverside.

Upvote 0

guitarnut99

My wife and I love this resort because of the size. We've stayed there 3 times, and two of the times, we were in rooms farthest from the food court. It wasn't that long of a walk. We stayed at Riverside once, and it was a very long walk to the food court. Loved Riverside but the walk was kind of disheartening. We would get back from the parks and want a soda, but we were too tired to do the walk.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom