Any hope for MK's Space Mountain?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
tirian said:
On a side note, there is a side-by-side SM car backstage at the MK. I wonder why that's there?

Interesting... If I`m not mistaken WDW`s SM is too narrow for the side by side cars to pass between scenery/supports - even if the track gauge was the same - just look at the tight turns as it leaves the loading area.

Austin1

This is my absouloute favorite ride at WDW but like many others I agree that it needs a good face lift. My Ideas are: Keep the exterior the same maybe just a new paint job. Totally redo the que line, keep the original SM feel like the new DL version. Once you get to the loading area totally update it, new carpet, paint job, rockets, control center, projections,etc. The one thing they can't change is I love being able to look up and see the rockets in the loading area (that so cool!!!) A new track would be nice along with an onboard sound system and new effects, just don't go too far out It doesn't need to look as out of this world as the rest of fantasy uhh I mean Tomorrowland.

bgraham34

I think SM is a great coaster, but if they want to do a rehab it will not make me angry. If they changed Peter Pan that would anger me, but changing coasters keeps things fresh and have less of an impact on your mind. At least I think so.

Word at Disneyland is that the refurbishment has done wonders for Space Mountain! People are raving about how smooth the new track is.

Let's hope WDW gets the same treatment soon!!!

wdwishes2005

tirian said:
A few notes about WDW/DL's Space Mountain...

I recently spoke to a fellow CM who rode the soft opening of SM at DL. He told me that he was extremely disappointed in everything but a few of the projections, and he felt like he did nothing but "make a lot of right turns." (I have personally never ridden SM at DL). In his opinion, if WDW's SM got the same paint job and some of the projectors, it would be much better than DL's, even if Imagineers didn't change the track.

On a side note, there is a side-by-side SM car backstage at the MK. I wonder why that's there?

As for everyone who complains about how bumpy WDW's SM is, I want to know how many coasters you've ridden. Despite its age, SM is quite smooth compared to many newer steel coasters I've experienced. The only parts of SM that annoy me are the light leaks when you pass near the exit!

i think its a little bumpy, and yes, i am qualified to say that. ive ridden on space mountain MK Space mountain DLR, RnRC, Matterhorn, Mantis CP, Magnum xl200 CP, Raptor CP, and Wicked Twister CP off the top of my head.

Chape19714

I think a good rehab would do SM very well. We don't want it to get too out-of-hand runned down like iasm was before it's rehab, do we? Space Mountain should keep up with new technoligies. Now, I do NOT want a Space MT. like the one in Paris, but like what DL now has would do great, and bring younger poeple into the park, as it's already a teen favorite. Darker, maybe the 2 per row, sound system, and new special effects.

i think its a little bumpy, and yes, i am qualified to say that. ive ridden on space mountain MK Space mountain DLR, RnRC, Matterhorn, Mantis CP, Magnum xl200 CP, Raptor CP, and Wicked Twister CP off the top of my head.

You went on the Matterhorn and think WDW's Space is bumpy...I've never been on a ride as bumpy as the Matterhorn. :lol: It was great, just a bit bumpy, which i found suprising. I do admit, WDW's Space Moutain could be smoother.

maxime29

Premium Member
For the sake of everyone, let's hope the ride(s) are "jerky" or "rough". "Bumpy" makes it sound like the cars will fly off their track. :D

wdwishes2005

Chape19714 said:
I think a good rehab would do SM very well. We don't want it to get too out-of-hand runned down like iasm was before it's rehab, do we? Space Mountain should keep up with new technoligies. Now, I do NOT want a Space MT. like the one in Paris, but like what DL now has would do great, and bring younger poeple into the park, as it's already a teen favorite. Darker, maybe the 2 per row, sound system, and new special effects.

You went on the Matterhorn and think WDW's Space is bumpy...I've never been on a ride as bumpy as the Matterhorn. :lol: It was great, just a bit bumpy, which i found suprising. I do admit, WDW's Space Moutain could be smoother.

matterhorn was very bumpy, and i think sm is bumpy also, but not nearly as bumpy as matterhorn.

wdwishes2005

maxime29 said:
For the sake of everyone, let's hope the ride(s) are "jerky" or "rough". "Bumpy" makes it sound like the cars will fly off their track. :D

but thats what make dated rides fun, the feeling that at the next turn the car is going to go flying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom