Any hope for MK's Space Mountain?

Goofster

Original Poster
Hey, I was just checking out the first pictures of the awesome complete rebuilding and retheming of Disneyland's Space Mountain (here if you're interested)

Anyway, it looks like they totally did amazing work with over there, and I know The layout of WDW's Space Mountain is dramatically different and not only is the California building smaller and Disneyland only has one track, but when I was in the Magic Kingdom last Friday, Space Mountain was really the one major attraction that shouted "Fix Me, Clean Me, I wreak of the 70's!," especially after being compared to the killer rehab of the also classic Small World. Does anybody see Space Mountain getting a Small World-like rehab soon, possibly even a Disneyland-like retheming? Not necessarily a complete track replacement, but at least fixing up the queue areas and tunnels?

And what is the deal with the windows in the queue? I have to assume that an interesting depth creating effect once worked in those star fields, but now it just gives me a headache to look at. It seems like a big flat photo of stars in the windows would be a lot better.

Not to completely Bash SM, because the ride itself is still excellent, but maybe if they added a sound system...
:drevil:

Figment1986

what caused the DL ride to need refurbish badly was adding a sound system in 98.....

(thrown off center of gravity and caused more stress on track..)

WDW may one day get a refurbish.. but not soon enough.. AS DL was easy since Intamin was already making the same track for HK i remember hearing.. so they doubled up on orders...

WDW might cost more and currently does not need it entirely yet....

However I wouldn't mind it in the future...

dave2822

Space Mountain was so innovative for its time, I do believe it was the first attraction to actually have warning signs (or if not, the first to gain publicity for it). It's still a great ride, and not in the same condition as DL's was in before its rehab.

First, I wouldn't go and gut the ride. Putting in a new roller coaster, adding a sound system, it wouldn't even be the same attraction at all anymore, you have to at least keep the heart of Space Mountain. Obviously it isn't going to be a huge roller coaster no matter what you do, I don't know how much feasible space they have to work with in there.

An IASW rehab would make me happy, but it's not happening in the near future, we're talking years here. There is a lot more money well spent in WDW than shutting down and fixing a wildly popular attraction in the #1 most attended park in the U.S.

So my vote is sometime sure, but not now. And never gut it.

Goofster

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they need to gut it, the ride itself is still in excellent shape. It's just the theming and whatnot that I feel are in need of updating.

AEfx

Space Mountain used to be about the concept of the future, yet the best things people can say about it these days are nostalgic.

The type of mouse coaster featured inside of Space Mountain has been dismantled at even regional parks - it can't stay forever unless we turn it into a walk-through museum at some point.

I'm all for keeping the exterior...but for Space Mountain to live up to it's legend for future generations the inside is going to take some MASSIVE work.

AEfx

dave2822

AEfx said:
I'm all for keeping the exterior...but for Space Mountain to live up to it's legend for future generations the inside is going to take some MASSIVE work.
AEfx

Do you (or anyone) know exactly how much area they are working with though? It's what, like 180 feet, and completely contained, it wasn't really designed for a massive roller coaster, hence the wild mouse.

You probably couldn't fit a very large coaster in there, maybe they have more space than what they are currently using now, because by the track layout presently it doesn't seem like space is abundant.

Any educated guesses as to how much bigger or faster a coaster could actually be built in there?

Goofster

Original Poster
ogryn said:
I thought WDW's Space was 300ft Diameter, and DL's was 200ft Diameter?

You are correct. There's a fantastic comparing Space Mountains site here for more info.

If Orlando's Space Mountain is 100 feet wider and 40 feet taller than the one in Paris, they have more than enough room to build a killer steel coaster inside, and since it is on the outside of the park, they could always build another show building behind like Splash Mountain.

Once again, not saying that a Paris-like coaster is needed, just that the building is more than big enough.

snoopi_grl

I saw the pictures. i agree that they did a really great job.
But i like the current MK Space Mountain like what it is now, and i don't really want it to be changed...

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Goofster said:
You are correct. There's a fantastic comparing Space Mountains site here for more info.

If Orlando's Space Mountain is 100 feet wider and 40 feet taller than the one in Paris, they have more than enough room to build a killer steel coaster inside, and since it is on the outside of the park, they could always build another show building behind like Splash Mountain.

Once again, not saying that a Paris-like coaster is needed, just that the building is more than big enough.

Theres a Space Mountain in Orlando?

on topic: I could see them waiting for WDW's 50th for a complete, Small World style rehab, with smaller ones until then.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
AEfx said:

AEfx

Its more cost effective and easier to build a new E-ticket. I don't see a whole lot of money being invested to gut and redo a popular ride. (Unless there are issues with continued operation). Personally I'd rather see a cosmetic upgrade of the que and ride cars and have the bulk of the money go towards another e-tckt somewhere else in the MK.

AEfx

monothingie said:
Its more cost effective and easier to build a new E-ticket. I don't see a whole lot of money being invested to gut and redo a popular ride. (Unless there are issues with continued operation). Personally I'd rather see a cosmetic upgrade of the que and ride cars and have the bulk of the money go towards another e-tckt somewhere else in the MK.

That may be true, but as the money they have poured into Space Mountain at Disneyland and the publicity it's going to garner, it may just be worth it.

Space Mountain is the second most recognized landmark at the Magic Kingdom. They can keep the layout the same, as was done at Disneyland - I'm not saying it needs to be made more "thrilling", simply that the technology has changed a lot in thirty years and it could be done so much better.

I no longer ride Space Mountain. It's fun to ride through on the TTA, but as a coaster fan even I can't stand the herky-jerky nature of the ride, and the effects are outdated because of their nature - projections and other ride elements could be done with the same spirit but just so much better.

Once Disneyland has their Space Mountain up, our Space Mountain is going to be the only one that remains a relic. Nostalgia can only take us so far.

I just hope someday Space Mountain can live up to it's name again, instead of remaining a legend only in the eyes of those who remember it for what it was and not what it is, or could be.

AEfx

Lynx04

As I say in every other WDW SM thread, Disney needs to take advantage of the the largest SM building and make some completely innovative!!!

disneywy

I just got back from riding the new SM at Disneyland and it was a lot of fun. Not sure if all of the effects were operating, but it is a lot darker and many more stars than I remember it having before. I think WDW's SM could use an upgrade, but I would keep them same basic premise and layout. No need for it too get too wild, but new effects and music could add some fun.

BTW: The new re-entry tunnel at DL blows WDW's out of the water.

sheryl2007

I know rides can't stay the same based on nostalgia, but I still have vivid memories of my first ride on SM when I was 10 years old, I think it was the beginning of my love affair with WDW!

djlb16

i think disney have to add new effects and music (and maybe new ride vehicles or something) to SM but keep the ride as it is now, just upgrade it... i forgot... make it darker

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom