Any hope for MK's Space Mountain?

raven

djlb16 said:
i think disney have to add new effects and music (and maybe new ride vehicles or something) to SM but keep the ride as it is now, just upgrade it... i forgot... make it darker

Exactly. They could put some special effects in it like the ones at DL. Some strobe lighting and smoke in the tunnels and a dramatic start and ending would be cool as well as a soundtrack to the ride.

HinunterZuNich

I keep seeing "wild mouse" and Space Mountain mentioned together? The type of track and ride experience Space Mountain gives is nowhere like a wild mouse coaster.

I love the layout of the ride and would want it to stay, a nice re-theming or enhancements would only make it that much better.

Figment1986

HinunterZuNich said:
I keep seeing "wild mouse" and Space Mountain mentioned together? The type of track and ride experience Space Mountain gives is nowhere like a wild mouse coaster.

I love the layout of the ride and would want it to stay, a nice re-theming or enhancements would only make it that much better.

Acording to RCDB it is nor classified as a mouse...

They might be similar but remember.. this is an old coaster and the way they were built back then is different from today..... (it is similar but not completely a mouse...)

I still feel.. a track replacement would be good... but keeping same layout and giving it the saem treatement of DL's with new effects. and darker....

testtracker

hakunamatata said:
For some reason my mind is drifting towards a Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy theming,.....I dont know why.....

I seriously doubt that will happen, and just the thought makes me puke. :hurl: Why ruin a good ride with some stupid movie theme.

dave2822

LudwigVonDrake said:
They just finished a massive rehab of IASW.

No I meant a similar type of rehab for Space Mountain (i.e. serious sprucing, but not actually changing the attraction itself)

raven

Figment1986 said:
Acording to RCDB it is nor classified as a mouse...

They might be similar but remember.. this is an old coaster and the way they were built back then is different from today..... (it is similar but not completely a mouse...)

RCDB has not catagorized the coaster as a Wild Mouse anymore. It is listed at "enclosed" and a "twin" coaster (meaning twin tracks). Check here: http://rcdb.com/id267.htm

The definition of a wild mouse is: "Wild Mouse - rides using single-car trains on a track with very tight turns. The cars' wheels are positioned closer to the rear of the car than a traditional coaster. The front of the car travels past the turn before changing directions, giving the sensation that the car will fall off the track."

:wave:

Ellen Ripley

I would be alright with them making it have a smoother ride but I wouldn't want them to change anything cosmetic on the ride. Also, I love Space Mountain's queue area, and those funky holographic scenes, please leave them the way they are.

psuchad

dave2822 said:
An IASW rehab would make me happy

Please everybody referring to needed rehabs as IASW style makes me think that POTC, Splash, and Space Mountain will have little dolls singing in that nauseating manner. :hammer: :brick: :lookaroun :cry: Can't we just call it a nice fresh rehab?<o:p></o:p>

Discmen

Just got back and have to weigh in. Space Mountain is still a great ride. I have ridden it maybe fifty times over the years, so it isn't entirely new any more, but my ten year old daughter rode it for the first time and just loved it. It is her new favorite ride. I always ride SW at least two times when I visit, and think it is no less fun that RNR. The old ride technology, while no less safe, feels less safe, adding to the thrills. I remember being there a couple of weeks after it opened, waiting with my two brothers and father for them to open, and then running in a stampeed reminicent of a Who concert to get in line. It didn't dissapoint then, and doesn't dissapoint now. A rehab would be fine, though the ride doesn't seem dated or in disrepair, but it wouldn't be SM if they changed the actual ride.

OmegaKnight

Plus since Magic Kingdom was the first Disney park in the world to get Space Mountain, wouldn't it be nice to give "the original" a sprucing up like the DL and Paris ones got?

CTXRover

I just got back from a trip on the West coast Disney cruise and 2 days at DL resort. Hopefully, if I have time, I will try and get some pics and a trip report up later this week.

In the meantime, I went on DL's new Space Mountain last Sunday. The last time I was on DL's SM was nearly 10 years ago, so I can't compare it to what was there before. However, I can say that after riding it, I can only hope the MK's SM gets a rehab soon. The ride is incredibly smooth and you can easily tell its a brand new track and as a result seems much faster than MK's. The sound system in the trains is great and the soundtrack they've added is wonderful and adds A LOT to the experience. The other big difference I noticed between DL's "new" SM and the MK's is how much darker DL's is. There where stars everywhere, but unlike the SM in MK, you could hardly ever see the track and it really did feel like you were flying through space vs riding a coaster in the dark.

I've heard a lot about how cool the reentry tunnel is for DL's, but I must say that was the one part of the ride I wasn't impressed by. Perhaps the effect wasn't working properly, but I don't really remember much of anything besides a short red tunnel followed by a flashing light to take a picture.

righttrack

SM is a classic. It packs a neat thrill, for moderate/light thrill-seekers. WDW is the home of milder coaster rides and they do it wonderfully. I wouldn't change the ride mechanics, other than maintain them. I would focus on the theming, colors, etc. A facelift would be nice, but I'm not for a practically new ride.

MSTINKHERBELL01

Maybe it's just me but I find SM to be a uncomfortable ride. I understand that its a rollercoaster however its very very bumpy and at times I felt as though my head was bouncing all over the place.....I literally felt that my head was going to hit the sides of the ride. I love SM dont get me wrong....but I honestly feel it needs some work. I visit WDW 2x a month and have done so since I was a child (now im 26). I dont think they should get rid of it...just update it...making it a smoother ride..more appealing to the eye!:wave:

brich

I think pre-RnRC, a change would have been nice to SM. But with RnRC, I don't see a need to make it any more wild than it is. I would love to see a new track and car system. Even a new layout so long as it maintains the perceived speed and the great cornering, the elements that give SM it's character. As for not having room to do to much, with the lights on, it's amazing how much room it appears is there for a larger track system.

Of the 3 Space Mountains I've been on, Paris rates as number one for me. It's very similar to RnRC but the launch is soooo much better going up the outside of the Mountain and then down into it. So maybe a launch system thats not as wild as RnRC would be a nice addition instead of the clunk clunk chain. Sooo many ways to spruce up a cool ride yet maintain whats made it a classic... :D

Epcot82Guy

I really don't think SM would make a top 10 list for a refurb right now. I definitely think it could use some small cosmetic changes such as darkening the ride (possibly by placing a roof over the queue), but I think:
1. Mansion
2. SSE
3. CoP
4. Peter Pan
5. Pirates
6. Great Movie Ride
7. Imagination (whole pavilion, yes, again)
8. Living Seas (Sea Cabs)
9. All film parts of WS attractions (except France and China).
10. The American Adventure (mostly the ending).

could all use help before SM.

CaptainMichael

mkepcotmgmak said:
i would love to have DLP's space mountain at wdw! i don't care for wdw's too much.

I like ours, but Paris' seems so frickin' cool! Of course, an original new design would be welcome also. It is old now, and it shows! The queue is especially boring.

grandmath

Tokyo's SM is next on the rehab plan and they have started working on it. MK will be the only one not being updated? I can't believe it. It think it's only a matter of time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom