Any Garmin Forerunner 305 users?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

JillC LI

Ok... thread bump. I just bought a 305 today. $130 on amazon. Brand new, not used or refurbed.

Sam felt that it was a safety issue that I couldnt maintain my pace over a Full attempt. :lookaroun

Ill make sure and enjoy all the techy stats it gives you, along with that safety feature.

Great price. Of course having the data and LISTENING to the data are two different things!

Doesn't the monitor go around your chest? So many people swear by the 305, but I think the feel of the monitor would drive me crazy. Or am I remembering the wrong monitor?

joel_maxwell

Great price. Of course having the data and LISTENING to the data are two different things!

Doesn't the monitor go around your chest? So many people swear by the 305, but I think the feel of the monitor would drive me crazy. Or am I remembering the wrong monitor?
My Polar has a chest strap too. I swear I dont even notice it after a while. If you are use to wearing bra's, I would imagine that it would be easy for you. Im not use to having anything on and to be honest, I feel naked if Im running with out it.

The only thing Ill have to get use to is the watch size wince Im use to the very small polar watch.

scorp111

My Polar has a chest strap too. I swear I dont even notice it after a while. If you are use to wearing bra's, I would imagine that it would be easy for you. Im not use to having anything on and to be honest, I feel naked if Im running with out it.

The only thing Ill have to get use to is the watch size wince Im use to the very small polar watch.

I'm with Joel, it reminds me of wearing a bra....:lookaroun Kidding of course!

But I thought I wouldn't use it much, used it the first time, and now haven't run without it. In fact, today, I came back in the house because I realized I didn't have it on when I was getting ready to start my run.

JillC LI

But I thought I wouldn't use it much, used it the first time, and now haven't run without it. In fact, today, I came back in the house because I realized I didn't have it on when I was getting ready to start my run.

LOL, you men are just full of surprises! :animwink:
Actually even my running bra annoys me (although it would annoy me far more to run without it! :lol:) so the thought of adding anything else around my chest is not appealing. Besides, the only time I ever came close to passing out from running too fast was the final kick in a handful of short races where I was trying to set a PR, and I'm sure that even if a heart rate monitor was screaming at me to slow down, I would have ignored it if I had an ounce of strength left to kick with!

Phonedave

I used to run with it. I never set the watch to display HR, just looked at the data when I got home.

It was interesting, but not interesting enough to keep wearing it.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I don't wear the chest strap. If I had a heart condition, maybe I would, but I don't.
I dont know if I have a heart condition or not. I guess it would have exposed itself this past summer while running in upper 90 heat and high humidity.

I wear it whenever I am pushing or going to do a hard pace. I really dont want to hear a lifelong "I told you so" from Sam. She wants me to wear it so I can monitor my heart.

JillC LI

I dont know if I have a heart condition or not. I guess it would have exposed itself this past summer while running in upper 90 heat and high humidity.

I wear it whenever I am pushing or going to do a hard pace. I really dont want to hear a lifelong "I told you so" from Sam. She wants me to wear it so I can monitor my heart.

Do you have any reason to think you MIGHT have a heart condition, Joel? If not, the way I see it is, my doctor knows how often and how far I run, and he says I'm in excellent health and I have no reason to worry. He's a runner too, and he knows how runners push themselves in training and in races. Is there a chance that something awful could happen to me like it sometimes happens to elite athletes (runners, skaters, ball players) spontaneously without warning? Yes, but the odds are far lower than the enhancements to my health that I receive overall from the running I do. A heart monitor would not likely have helped Ryan Shay in the Olympic Trials when he passed out suddenly and died. I think that a heart monitor is a good workout tool for gauging your level of effort, but I'm not so sure that it's going to protect your health from sudden disaster. Just my two cents (and it may be worth even less than that!).

scorp111

Do you have any reason to think you MIGHT have a heart condition, Joel? If not, the way I see it is, my doctor knows how often and how far I run, and he says I'm in excellent health and I have no reason to worry. He's a runner too, and he knows how runners push themselves in training and in races. Is there a chance that something awful could happen to me like it sometimes happens to elite athletes (runners, skaters, ball players) spontaneously without warning? Yes, but the odds are far lower than the enhancements to my health that I receive overall from the running I do. A heart monitor would not likely have helped Ryan Shay in the Olympic Trials when he passed out suddenly and died. I think that a heart monitor is a good workout tool for gauging your level of effort, but I'm not so sure that it's going to protect your health from sudden disaster. Just my two cents (and it may be worth even less than that!).

That's what I wear it for, to gauge my effort. I have this mental thing where I like to overdo things (imagine that), so if my pace isn't what I want it to be, and if I am already pushing 172 or better, I tell myself to just wait a few minutes. At the same time, if I am coasting, I can see that too, and for longer runs, obviously that is what I want.

I imagine at some point, I will know my body better anyways. I did run without the HR monitor yesterday. I also have been running without my ipod a good 80% of the time over the last two weeks...

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
That's what I wear it for, to gauge my effort. I have this mental thing where I like to overdo things (imagine that), so if my pace isn't what I want it to be, and if I am already pushing 172 or better, I tell myself to just wait a few minutes. At the same time, if I am coasting, I can see that too, and for longer runs, obviously that is what I want.

I imagine at some point, I will know my body better anyways. I did run without the HR monitor yesterday. I also have been running without my ipod a good 80% of the time over the last two weeks...

Good for you Steve! I never run with an iPod or listening to music. If it were safe, I would run with earplugs and just zone..........................

joel_maxwell

I think I am extremely healthy and have never had any physical show any sign of abnormality. Heart, lungs, muscular and "mentally" (99.9% of the time) :lol:. I agree on the fact that it wont prevent the inevitable. If something is destine to happen, it will happen. I like to see it at times to know what effort is being put out. I dont look at it all the time. Maybe after pulling a hill. I think it is interesting to see the more shape you are in, the less bpm it takes to do the same task. I might be crazy, but the same pace I ran last Sunday was an average of 180 bpm. The same pace before my injury was about 170 bpm. I just like all the techy info.

I guess the only thing that I can see it being beneficial besides the mentioned above, is that if I feel like something is wrong, I could check the monitor with a quick glimpse and if my HR is thru the roof, I could potentially stop and start walking, cool down and get it checked out. Im not a hypochondriac by any means, but if I have a tool that could potentially be useful and it isnt hard to use it, might as well. I have way to much sitting at home in 2T PJ's watching cartoons not to be slightly conscious of something like this. :D If the only reason I wear it is to make Sam rest at ease, then it is worth wearing. By 33, both her parents have past away. Im all she has. That is a huge thing in the back of the mind.

I have done the same the last 6 months. No music during the week for 3 of my runs. the long run on Saturday morning I do use it. However, I dont consider listening to musical scores from movies the same type of musical distraction mentally that "regular" music may cause. It is extremely peaceful.

JillC LI

For that use, I can definitely see it being helpful. It was the life-saving aspect I questioned.

I think it is interesting to see the more shape you are in, the less bpm it takes to do the same task. I might be crazy, but the same pace I ran last Sunday was an average of 180 bpm. The same pace before my injury was about 170 bpm. I just like all the techy info.

I have way to much sitting at home in 2T PJ's watching cartoons not to be slightly conscious of something like this. :D If the only reason I wear it is to make Sam rest at ease, then it is worth wearing. By 33, both her parents have past away. Im all she has. That is a huge thing in the back of the mind.

Yeah, I like the techy info too. And if wearing it gives the people who love and depend on you peace of mind, then I agree it is worth it. Hope you didn't think I was trying to talk you out of it.

joel_maxwell

For that use, I can definitely see it being helpful. It was the life-saving aspect I questioned.

Yeah, I like the techy info too. And if wearing it gives the people who love and depend on you peace of mind, then I agree it is worth it. Hope you didn't think I was trying to talk you out of it.
Lord no. :animwink: I was just trying to clarify why I wear it. I like knowing my HR just from an interest point, and it is one of those things that if I know Sam is anxiety free, then Im anxiety free and we all win.

To say it again though, it surely wont prevent anything. If it is going to happen, it shall happen regardless.

Same thing with me running at night during the winter months after work. She was all in a tizzy thinking I was going to gt hit by a car in our neighborhood. So, I bought a $10 firefly from roadid.com and she rests easy now. My daughter calls it my Rudolph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom