Any Garmin Forerunner 305 users?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
HI Guys,

Just wondering what you think? WOuld you recommend it?

Thanks
Sources around here say ABSOLUTELY. I couldnt afford it quite yet, so I will throw some love to my Polar RS100. Half the price and unfortunately, a fraction of the functionality.

I hope to get on one day.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I live by the 305. Keeps me honest, and no guessing games with my runs. Almost has too many great functions.

If you want accurate, on-the-fly data, and to maximize your training, you cannot go wrong with the 305.

JillC LI

I've been using it for several years and I really like it. The one thing you have to be careful about is that mine takes about 10-20 seconds to register changes in pace. So if you think you sped up and look down at the watch and it says the same pace you've been going, don't think you have to step up the pace even further - just give it a few seconds to recalculate your pace. That said, I enjoy evaluating my stats after a run. I'm sure I don't use half the features it is capable of, but I like it for the time, distance, pace, and for comparison purposes when I download the info. It's bulkier than a normal watch, so I don't wear it to race, just for training.

As a new runner, though, I don't think it would be too helpful to you since you're probably working on completing a specific amount of time or distance running, not really working on pace at this point. But it probably couldn't hurt either. :wave:

Ariel484

YES...love it. Before I got mine I was planning my runs out on mapmyrun.com, which was annoying...my only issue is that sometimes it takes awhile to find sattelites, but once it does I am good to go :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Does any of you use it for heart rate monitoring in a workout session (non-running, gym based)?

Basically I need a heart rate monitor for workouts, and it seems with this device I can get both the heart rate, and all the GPS functions all in one unit for a great price.

joel_maxwell

YES...love it. Before I got mine I was planning my runs out on mapmyrun.com, which was annoying...my only issue is that sometimes it takes awhile to find sattelites, but once it does I am good to go :D
I still map my routes out. The reason is I like to plan for a nice mixture of hills, flat and down hills. Also, it is a safety thing. I leave the route Im taking up on the screen so that my wife can drive my route in reverse order in the event of an emergency or I havent shown back up in plenty of time allowed. Weather pops up very suddenly too. If a lightning storm popped up, I would love to see her drive over the horizon.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Does any of you use it for heart rate monitoring in a workout session (non-running, gym based)?

Basically I need a heart rate monitor for workouts, and it seems with this device I can get both the heart rate, and all the GPS functions all in one unit for a great price.
Yes, it is an all in one masterpiece. If you just need the heart rate monitor, I have found the Polar I referred to above very nice and accurate. It was referred to me by several people, and I think Nick had one before his 305.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I still map my routes out. The reason is I like to plan for a nice mixture of hills, flat and down hills. Also, it is a safety thing. I leave the route Im taking up on the screen so that my wife can drive my route in reverse order in the event of an emergency or I havent shown back up in plenty of time allowed. Weather pops up very suddenly too. If a lightning storm popped up, I would love to see her drive over the horizon.

Yes, it is an all in one masterpiece. If you just need the heart rate monitor, I have found the Polar I referred to above very nice and accurate. It was referred to me by several people, and I think Nick had one before his 305.

Yupper. The Polar was a great HRM. If accurate calorie burn is important to you, go with the Polar, because that has heart-rate based calorie computation, whereas the 305 takes information from time, distance, speed, and pace to calculate the calorie burn. From what I have read, heart-rate based calorie computation tends to be just little more accurate, but not by much.

If you want all the features, go with the 305, you won't regret it.

But Polar is top-notch and accurate as well.

Ariel484

Ah, good idea. I really nee to get better about stuff like that (i.e. carry a cell phone, get a RoadID, etc.)...thanks for posting this, it never would have occurred to me. :wave:

Steve - I never use the strap, I mostly got the 305 one because the included software is Mac-compatible. Other than that and the strap I think the 205 and 305 are very similar, but the 305 is listed as costing much more on the Garmin website. On Amazon, the costs are very similar so it was only $5 more for me to get the 305.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I don't know the model numbers, but I've got the real basic model and I just use it to set pace and keep track of distance and time.

My wife has one with a heart rate monitor and she swears by it. She charts things out and tries to see where her rate is climbing past where it should be and then we work on adjusting our pace next time to keep it more where it needs to be.

If you don't have anything yet, I would HIGHLY recommend getting something to help pace your runs and then it's only a matter of what features you want and how much you want to pay.

Garmin is a good brand and while my wife and I have different models, they're both Garmin's and they both work great for what they're designed to do.

joel_maxwell

Yupper. The Polar was a great HRM. If accurate calorie burn is important to you, go with the Polar, because that has heart-rate based calorie computation, whereas the 305 takes information from time, distance, speed, and pace to calculate the calorie burn. From what I have read, heart-rate based calorie computation tends to be just little more accurate, but not by much.

If you want all the features, go with the 305, you won't regret it.

But Polar is top-notch and accurate as well.
So far, the calorie count has been extremely accurate from what I can tell. Comparing my HR stats with other runs, you are correct, it is HR based and seems to be mathematically dead on

Ah, good idea. I really nee to get better about stuff like that (i.e. carry a cell phone, get a RoadID, etc.)...thanks for posting this, it never would have occurred to me. :wave:
Glad I could pass along an idea. Hopefully we will never need this, but it is like RoadID, Id rather have it and need it than the alternative.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
So far, the calorie count has been extremely accurate from what I can tell. Comparing my HR stats with other runs, you are correct, it is HR based and seems to be mathematically dead on

Glad I could pass along an idea. Hopefully we will never need this, but it is like RoadID, Id rather have it and need it than the alternative.

Glad you're liking the Polar...accuracy is key.

JillC LI

I leave the route Im taking up on the screen so that my wife can drive my route in reverse order in the event of an emergency or I havent shown back up in plenty of time allowed.

I always leave a description of my route and my anticipated return time as well for my husband. Only once was I later than 10 minutes late. It was a beautiful Fall day, and the urge struck to go several more miles than I had planned. It was about 11am so I didn't think the hubby would worry. Big mistake. After I was a half hour late, he got the kids in the car and started driving my route looking for me. Problem was, I had started a new route when I finished the originally planned one! He was on the verge of calling the police when I got home and found a note from him scribbled on the table saying "CALL MY CELL! WHERE ARE YOU? I"M GOING TO CALL THE POLICE IF I CAN'T FIND YOU!" I called before he contacted the police, thank goodness. Of course, I'm still trying to live that one down ages later because once he knew I was fine, he wanted to kill me! And the kids were really worried too. I felt awful. Now if I'm going out for a long weekend run and I think there's a chance I might extend it, I carry my cell phone. Live and learn! :)

joel_maxwell

I always leave a description of my route and my anticipated return time as well for my husband. Only once was I later than 10 minutes late. It was a beautiful Fall day, and the urge struck to go several more miles than I had planned. It was about 11am so I didn't think the hubby would worry. Big mistake. After I was a half hour late, he got the kids in the car and started driving my route looking for me. Problem was, I had started a new route when I finished the originally planned one! He was on the verge of calling the police when I got home and found a note from him scribbled on the table saying "CALL MY CELL! WHERE ARE YOU? I"M GOING TO CALL THE POLICE IF I CAN'T FIND YOU!" I called before he contacted the police, thank goodness. Of course, I'm still trying to live that one down ages later because once he knew I was fine, he wanted to kill me! And the kids were really worried too. I felt awful. Now if I'm going out for a long weekend run and I think there's a chance I might extend it, I carry my cell phone. Live and learn! :)
Sam would be so mad at me. She would be like your husband. Once she found out I was fine, she would be so mad at me. :D

I hate when Sam asks me how long I should be running because I am always to generous. I think of the mileage and say it out loud, then I calculate my desired pace and say that total out loud with a finishing time. Once on my run, if Im not feeling it or something just doesnt feel good that day I always stress about being way over that pace I told her.

I need to just add a minute per mile to compensate but then i get the look oh, "It is going to take you that long... i thought you were running better than that and pushing yourself"

JillC LI

Sam would be so mad at me. She would be like your husband. Once she found out I was fine, she would be so mad at me. :D

I hate when Sam asks me how long I should be running because I am always to generous. I think of the mileage and say it out loud, then I calculate my desired pace and say that total out loud with a finishing time. Once on my run, if Im not feeling it or something just doesnt feel good that day I always stress about being way over that pace I told her.

I need to just add a minute per mile to compensate but then i get the look oh, "It is going to take you that long... i thought you were running better than that and pushing yourself"

I hear ya. It's hard to know if you're going to have legs of lead or feel like you're flying on any given day. More likely than not, something in the middle. I always overestimate my time by about a minute per mile and my husband, who is not a runner, never does the math to see if that's fast or slow for me - he just accepts whatever time I say (or write as the case may be - he's usually asleep when I leave on my long runs so I write him a note before I head out).

WishIwasThere

Its not easy for us runners widows or widowers. My DW does this to me all the time. "I'm going for a 20 mile run"...in my head...lets see 10 min pace...20 miles...200 minutes...add on a couple potty stops...just under four hours. Four and a half to five hours later she shows up...:dazzle:

Cramps, had to walk...ran into a friend...had to find some water...etc.

Phonedave

I have the 305 as well.

I stopped wearing the HR strap with it, but not for any particular reason. It was not uncomfortable, and it worked fine. Ijust stopped using it.

Other than that, the 305 is a great unit. I have the footpad unit for it as well, and when calibrated that it pretty accurate as well (as long as you don't vary your stride, which I sometimes do)

I should really do somthing like leave a note when I run. I often run in parkland that can have very few people in it - especialy on days like yesterday 6:00 PM with a light rain. Very few people out an about. I also don't normaly carry ID or a cell phone (or water)

Oddly enought, when I go hiking, I leave a detailed trail map and expected times, I carry supplies so that if necessary I can overnight without a problem, I also leave a boot print on the seat of my car (put a peice of tin foil on soft ground and step on it then leave in on your seat - that way if they have to look for you they know your boot prints). Running just never seemed 'dangerous' to me.

-dave

JillC LI

Its not easy for us runners widows or widowers. My DW does this to me all the time. "I'm going for a 20 mile run"...in my head...lets see 10 min pace...20 miles...200 minutes...add on a couple potty stops...just under four hours. Four and a half to five hours later she shows up...:dazzle:

Cramps, had to walk...ran into a friend...had to find some water...etc.

But we are ever-so-grateful for you. Without you, moms of young kids like me couldn't enjoy our running passion. Thank you. :sohappy:

The foot pod is also a good accessory if you're into running indoors. It's mostly accurate and fits inside the Nike+ compartment easily of the Nike's that are compatible.

Used it to time my inagural Half and it was darn close. Probably more accurate than the course itself since it always measures the shortest distance.

WishIwasThere

My DW just got her 305 yesterday. If you are going to get one...shop around. We got it through Walmart online for about $20 less than other places, with free shipping too.

Now that she has her new toy, I get her Nike+ stuff for my iPod. I only care about general distances, where she cares more about distance accuracy and current pace, as well as a HRM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom