Another Recent Returnee, With Controversial Opinions

PLTram

Original Poster
EDIT (with thanks to Slappy Magoo): I've become aware that I came across more negative than I had intended, and have made some followup posts to better explain myself. I know the thread is now an epic poem, but please try to read my followup posts before commenting, as I may have made myself more clear there than here. Sorry for any confusion.

My family and I just returned from a 9 day trip to WDW. This was our first trip in 7 years, and the first trip for my two kids (B6, G3). Overall we had a great trip and my kids want to go back immediately.

After about my 10th Disney experience (beginning with the 1964 New York World’s Fair), including two trips to Disneyland and about 7 or 8 trips to WDW, I come away with the following impressions (many I’m sure the fans here will find irritating).

• The Rides – Disney rides need a thorough updating. Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan. With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything. The animatronics don’t seem to cut it any more. I appreciated that they added that mist projection thing at the beginning of Pirates. This is a step in the right direction, but not enough to hold up the ride.
o Jungle Cruise – I took my first ride in probably 20 years. Really sad. The only thing that made it interesting was the jokes, and many of them were about how sad the ride had become (the guide made some crack that ‘if you think this ride is lame, check out the Hall of Presidents (we didn’t).
o Carousel of Progress – I saw this one in 1964. It is still charming, but the last scene definitely needs an update. For all the Disney nostalgists out there, this is probably the only ride worth preserving IMHO.
o The New Nemo ride at Epcot – Yawn. It seems an afterthought. Nothing to knock my socks off.
o Stitch Escapes – I was shocked at how much they kept from the previous incarnation of this ride. They ought to gut that building in do something new and unique.
o The Tommorowland Speedway – Here is one example of a ride that Dollywood actually does better. These noisy exhaust belching relics are incredibly out of place anywhere in a high tech amusement park. How about electric cars? How about cars that wont give a little kid a twisted arm from a wild steering wheel once the vehicle hits the guide tracks?
o Snow White, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan – These are nothing more than slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals around the country. Cheap.
o Country Bear Jamboree – Sad. Though the park was pretty full, this ride was more than half empty. It seemed nobody cared. They were just dropping in to get away from the heat. These old rides remind me of having to watch the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over. If it isn’t a thrill ride, then the 30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.
o Haunted Mansion and Pirates – I loved them back in ’73. Today they are hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation. I fear the refurb planned for HM will not cut the muster.
o Muppets 3D – Another example of Disney coasting on something that worked 10+ years ago.
o Kilamanjaro Safari – Frankly, I don’t get it. I could barely understand what the guy on the radio was saying. Poor sound. The whole poaching thing was unnecessary. The breakaway bridge is barely noticeable. Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.
o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.
o Lights Motors Action Stunt show – Cool, but too long. Too much explanation for me. Just give me the show.
o Rides I liked – Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Buzz Lightyear. Most, sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics.
All in all, I think Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder that Walt Disney brought to the table. I know many of you are just fuming over the thought of gutting the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, but I think Walt would be searching for that magic that had people really believing back in ’64. Hanging on to the nostalgia for the sake of security is not what made the Disney parks great, and in another generation, if nothing radical is done, nobody is going to care anymore.
• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.
• The Resorts themselves are great – My main regret after 9 days of running from theme park to water park to show, was that I didn’t schedule some down time to enjoy our resort (Port Orleans Riverside). It’s a beautiful place with lots to do.
• The Waterparks are a highlight. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are great. Last time I was there, I decided I liked BB better for their cool and better slides, this time we liked TL better for its superior landscaping and better music. As far as the music goes, though, they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago, for the most part. If I worked there I’d have gone totally insane. Especially BB, with the constant Xmas music and reggae rehashes.

Despite, the disappointments, WDW is a fascinating place that offers up a ton of fun. I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place. Just incredible. Next time, however, I might actually venture beyond the world to see what else there is in the greater Orlando area – like Universal studios. Bigger and better coasters, I hope.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Wow shame you didnt have a good time. Sounds like you didnt really like anything, which is a pity.

Beware, this site is a Disney fan site, so expect the replies to this to be pretty opposite to yours.

maggiegrace1

My family and I just returned from a 9 day trip to WDW. This was our first trip in 7 years, and the first trip for my two kids (B6, G3). Overall we had a great trip and my kids want to go back immediately.

After about my 10th Disney experience (beginning with the 1964 New York World’s Fair), including two trips to Disneyland and about 7 or 8 trips to WDW, I come away with the following impressions (many I’m sure the fans here will find irritating).

• The Rides – Disney rides need a thorough updating. Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan. With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything. The animatronics don’t seem to cut it any more. I appreciated that they added that mist projection thing at the beginning of Pirates. This is a step in the right direction, but not enough to hold up the ride.
o Jungle Cruise – I took my first ride in probably 20 years. Really sad. The only thing that made it interesting was the jokes, and many of them were about how sad the ride had become (the guide made some crack that ‘if you think this ride is lame, check out the Hall of Presidents (we didn’t).
o Carousel of Progress – I saw this one in 1964. It is still charming, but the last scene definitely needs an update. For all the Disney nostalgists out there, this is probably the only ride worth preserving IMHO.
o The New Nemo ride at Epcot – Yawn. It seems an afterthought. Nothing to knock my socks off.
o Stitch Escapes – I was shocked at how much they kept from the previous incarnation of this ride. They ought to gut that building in do something new and unique.
o The Tommorowland Speedway – Here is one example of a ride that Dollywood actually does better. These noisy exhaust belching relics are incredibly out of place anywhere in a high tech amusement park. How about electric cars? How about cars that wont give a little kid a twisted arm from a wild steering wheel once the vehicle hits the guide tracks?
o Snow White, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan – These are nothing more than slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals around the country. Cheap.
o Country Bear Jamboree – Sad. Though the park was pretty full, this ride was more than half empty. It seemed nobody cared. They were just dropping in to get away from the heat. These old rides remind me of having to watch the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over. If it isn’t a thrill ride, then the 30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.
o Haunted Mansion and Pirates – I loved them back in ’73. Today they are hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation. I fear the refurb planned for HM will not cut the muster.
o Muppets 3D – Another example of Disney coasting on something that worked 10+ years ago.
o Kilamanjaro Safari – Frankly, I don’t get it. I could barely understand what the guy on the radio was saying. Poor sound. The whole poaching thing was unnecessary. The breakaway bridge is barely noticeable. Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.
o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.
o Lights Motors Action Stunt show – Cool, but too long. Too much explanation for me. Just give me the show.
o Rides I liked – Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Buzz Lightyear. Most, sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics.
All in all, I think Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder that Walt Disney brought to the table. I know many of you are just fuming over the thought of gutting the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, but I think Walt would be searching for that magic that had people really believing back in ’64. Hanging on to the nostalgia for the sake of security is not what made the Disney parks great, and in another generation, if nothing radical is done, nobody is going to care anymore.
• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.
• The Resorts themselves are great – My main regret after 9 days of running from theme park to water park to show, was that I didn’t schedule some down time to enjoy our resort (Port Orleans Riverside). It’s a beautiful place with lots to do.
• The Waterparks are a highlight. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are great. Last time I was there, I decided I liked BB better for their cool and better slides, this time we liked TL better for its superior landscaping and better music. As far as the music goes, though, they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago, for the most part. If I worked there I’d have gone totally insane. Especially BB, with the constant Xmas music and reggae rehashes.

Despite, the disappointments, WDW is a fascinating place that offers up a ton of fun. I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place. Just incredible. Next time, however, I might actually venture beyond the world to see what else there is in the greater Orlando area – like Universal studios. Bigger and better coasters, I hope.
That sentence confuses me...
I do not see where you had ..A ton of fun!!:shrug:

I am sorry you seemed to hate everything...I go often and cannot get enough of it..

To each his own I guess..:shrug:

Beware, this site is a Disney fan site, so expect the replies to this to be pretty opposite to yours.

LOL your right...:confused: I dont even know where to start to how to reply to this...So I wont!

I am sorry you seemed to hate everything...I go often and cannot get enough of it..
Amen! I wish I lived in Florida, I would be there all the time, just like im at Disneyland all the time!

Wilt Dasney

With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything.

Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.

I'm having trouble seeing how those two sentences jibe. How can you say that theming is everything in general and then say that the Safaris should do away with any attempt at show? Are you saying that the animals by themselves should serve as the theming for the ride? :shrug:

I don't have a problem with most of what you said, since it at least seems consistent, if just a tad negative. I was confused by how those 2 parts fit together, though.

CThaddeus

Let me sum up the first post: I liked all the thrill rides, hated anything with a story or history to it. Audio-animatronics are cool, but they all suck. Gut the classics.
My response: I agree that some attractions could use some TLC, but when I was there in December, I didn't feel like the place was a museum and that it was falling apart. Quite the contrary. I think things are turning around, and while I too would love to see every attraction have the latest in audio-animatronics (though I'm not a fan of the Pirates changes), I know that that just won't happen overnight (if at all). I personally love most of the attractions at Disney World and Disneyland. I have issues with a few - LMA outright sucks, Rock n' Rollercoaster would be better without Aerosmith, Disney-MGM has a lot of underutilized space, Test Track is nothing more than a cheesy car ride, Wonders of Life deserves to be open, Epcot was better as EPCOT, and COP could use an update in the finale, but otherwise things are pretty darned good. I must have enjoyed it. I'm trying desperately to go again for EPCOT's 25th in October. Your opinion is certainly valid for you, but based on my past experiences I just cannot agree.

wolf359

Well, first of all, welcome!

Second, I hope these aren't the last friendly words you hear!

I'm a BIG Disney theme park fan, and I've probably been to WDW 10 times in the last 13 years. I REALLY like going to WDW, mostly because it brings back a lot of fond memories of when I was growing up in California and went to Disneyland every year.

However, I really can't fault you for your opinions. I understand how so much of what you wrote seems SO negative yet you can say WDW is tons of fun.

I feel the same way about WDW too. While I enjoy going, and I have a great time every time I visit, if I wrote down the things that disappointed me I've probably come off as a Disney hater. I'm not, but at the same time I can't help but notice many things that I wish Disney did better.

My biggest problem is the "gift shop-a-fication" of the Magic Kingdom but there are a lot of little things too. Does it ruin WDW for me, or keep me from wishing I could go more often than I do?

No, but I agree with you on your assessments of many of those things.

I do feel that the Disney company is at the beginning of a new quality-driven outlook, but it will take time for that to filter down to the parks. There IS evidence that is taking place, but those changes will take time.

That said, I don't think that every attraction needs to be an e-ticket in scope. Compared to the super high tech attractions built in the last 10 years some of the smaller dark rides do seem...quaint, but at the same time it's nether necessary or affordable for something like Peter Pan to have brand new cutting edge effects. It is what it is.

While I don't think WDW should become a museum for my childhood memories, it IS nice to be able to revisit them when I have the chance. But if something old needs to move on to make room for something wonderful I'll be happy to have a new experience to try. But be careful not to rip out something just because it's "old."

Everyone has different needs and expectations, which is why our opinions can differ so much when talking about the very same things. You mentioned your kids had a great time and immediately want to go back. I'm sure their opinions of certain things are quite a bit different than yours. Sometimes the unsophisticated "kiddy" rides are perfect...for a certain age group.

Anyway, I'm glad you and your family had a good time, in spite of the drawbacks, and I hope your next trip is even better!

:)

PLTram

Original Poster
I'm having trouble seeing how those two sentences jibe. How can you say that theming is everything in general and then say that the Safaris should do away with any attempt at show? Are you saying that the animals by themselves should serve as the theming for the ride? :shrug:

I said they should can the lame attempts at show. This is one of the weakest 'shows' of all the E ticket rides, in my opinion. The amazing animals seem cool enough that the 'show' seems almost inappropriate on this 'ride.'

Sorry to all, I realize that my post is primarily negative. However, many of you misinterpret me to say that I had a lousy time at WDW. I had a great time. I mentioned that I love the water parks. They are brilliant. I mentioned several of the rides I liked. In addition I liked Mickey's Philharmagic (my first viewing), Its tough to be a Bug, The Tommorowland Transit Authority, and others. I also love the landscaping and theming in general. EE is fantasticly detailed, AK is now my favorite park, aesthetically. I enjoyed Cirque, POR boat rides, meeting people on the busses and shopping in DD.

I could go on and on. I love WDW. I dreamed and planned this trip for about the last 3 years. I am a major WDW freak, like many of you who now wish to skewer me :lookaroun . I could offer all my warm fuzzies, but I didn't think that these were the most interesting thoughts I took away from my trip.

So again, my bad, I know this is negative stuff, I just thought that this was more of a conversation topic than a lot of people writing "Yeah, I love it too!"

In 1964, Walt Disney, essentially, presented to the world, the state of the art of theme park magic of 2007. With the advent of computer generated special effects in film, its going to take the imagineers some innovation to wow us these days. What do you think? Am I asking for too much? Should Disney rest on its laurels? If Walt Disney were alive today, would the parks be the same?

Just making conversation here.

primetime52

I love the classics like Pirates and HM, and I love the AA's in most rides, but I do admit that several of the classics could use a nice refurb.

I'm sorry that you seem so disappointed with several aspects of your WDW visit.

As far as the classics go, I view the situation like this: It's very hard for me to judge the classics and the AA's because I have such a bias for them. I'm sure that 99% of the members of this board carry the same bias.

Classic rides like Pirates, HM, and SSE were part of my childhood, and I cherish them in my adult life. AA's, to me, are an enormous part of WDW's theming and are what seperate WDW from all of the other stereotypical amusement parks out there.

When I go to the Magic Kingdom, Pirates and HM are two rides that I am more excited for than almost all others (save Splash and Space). Now, keep in mind that I am 23. If another 23 year old were to go to WDW for the first time in his/her life, without any childhood memories, they would probably find HM to be quite lame and would think Pirates to be a little on the boring side. That's just reality. Someone without the childhood biases that I have would probably not view either of those rides to be highlights. However, the nostalgia that millions of WDW visitors feel while on these rides is one of the things that makes Pirates and HM great! Those rides, among dozens of others, are classics, and I would be beyond sad to ever see them go. To gut them would be blasphemy.

It's always nice to see refurbs of existing rides and the occasional emergence of new e-ticket rides, but there are certain classics that shouldn't and probably won't ever be removed from WDW. The classic rides and innovative AA's are what seperates Disney from parks like Busch gardens, that have a few great thrill rides but virtually no personality or nostalgic value.

IROC it

Wow. I thought the Grinch wasn't at WDW.:ROFLOL:

First thing to remember -and don't forget it- WDW is for kids primarily, with some "bones thrown" to the adults.

We are all shocked at how "lame" things become the more we know about how it all works. We become desensitized and unimpressed. And just think, in 1977 Star Wars was cutting edge... then in 1999 most OT SW fans screamed "kill Jar-Jar!! fire George Lucas as the director!" -but they are sci-fi novels aimed at kids...

Sometimes adults have to "force ourselves to revert" to the kids that didn't care as much about what caused the show... as much as just enjoyed the show.

We all go through these thoughts - I myself get the most enjoyment now out of seeing my kids' eyes light up - seeing the kids enjoy themselves...

The time in the parks with my kids is the best part now.:animwink:

T0TFan

I think that as adults, too many times we think about how we were wowed when we were kids on our first visits to a Disney park. We try to compare how we felt then to how we feel now.

For some of us, the feelings are identical, for others there is a dramatic change.

So the real question here would be how did your two kids enjoy themselves on THEIR first trip to Disney World?

I am willing to bet that seeing their smiles was the highlight of your trip:animwink:

Iroc, I saw your post after I wrote mine, I agree

dazzer68

so why did you go again?
perhaps the whole park should be knocked down every 5 years updated and overhauled.who says it should all be upto date and current.It should be organic, for ever growing and changing keeping the old with the new.in these days of reduce, reuse recycle i think disney do a great job!Honestly.
why rip out popular entertainaing attractions, just because they are old.if it aint broke dont fix it.

LudwigVonDrake

I love WDW and can't get enough of it. The anticipation of my trip in July is killing me and we're about 51 days out. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

wedway71

Well I for one LOVE WDW. Im looking at around 300 pics I took of all 4 parks from my last vacation (couple of months back) and I think WDW looks pretty darn good,no great for a place that is the most visited vacation destination in the world.
I guess I dont buy the whole WDW has become some nasty place to go. I think the resort does maintain high standards of upkeep.
Has the WDW resort become so bad in upkeep or do we as Disney fans try too hard to find problems or spend our time worrying about some chips of paint on a fence.
I hear alot of how WDW was the best now its horrible. I am also looking at a pic circa 1976ish with my Grandparents and me standing in front of Dumbos Flying Elephant ride.What stands out more than my brite yellow "Brady Bunch" outfit and lame "that 70s show" haircut is the fact that behind me the rails are in need of a good paint job with chips all in the paint.
Point is maybe Disney hasnt changed but we used to just enjoy the parks as kids and now bend over backwards to find faults with them?

Matpez

There is something I notice about myself.
I love roller coasters and the fast thrill rides. I live an hour from Orlando and have an annual pass to both WDW and Universal. I go to WDW whenever I get a chance. I have been to Universal twice in 7 months. The rides at universal are great. There is no Hulk or mummy coaster at WDW. Dueling Dragons is great.
However...
beyond the actual moment of being on Hulk, Mummy or others, Universal is not "an Experience". The overall "show" and atmosphere of WDW is so far beyond Universal that I have gone to the parks just to walk around them.
I bet you that if you tried to take a 5 day vacation to Universal on your next trip (or Busch Gardens, or a six flags) by the 3rd day you would be wishing you were at WDW because there you are immersed in the overall Disney experience, something that to this day none of those other parks have even come close to figuring out how to accomplish.
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom