Another “Save Disney” Campaign?

_caleb

Original Poster
Maybe....

However if over the next several quarters it remains high, then I would think that indicates that guests aren't as disappointed and upset as you make them out to be or at least not enough to stay away.

Also one thing to note is that even if Chapek is somehow replaced doesn't mean things at the Parks will just go back to the way it was pre-Bobs.
To some extent, this has always been the case. For years us fans have said, "this is the last straw!" but Disney has yet to disappoint people into not going. I do think some of the pent-up demand is still pent-up due to the pandemic, so I'm not forecasting a major drop in revenue at the parks next quarter.

I do think, however, that Bob Chapek is now the Kathleen Kennedy of the Disney brand. Things I'm watching for:
YesterDisney has fans, NewDisney has customers. Fans are harder to gain, but expensive to lose. Disney+ seems to understand this, but the Parks, not so much. And unhappy fans of the parks aren't (yet) blaming D'Amaro.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To some extent, this has always been the case. For years us fans have said, "this is the last straw!" but Disney has yet to disappoint people into not going. I do think some of the pent-up demand is still pent-up due to the pandemic, so I'm not forecasting a major drop in revenue at the parks next quarter.

I do think, however, that Bob Chapek is now the Kathleen Kennedy of the Disney brand. Things I'm watching for:
YesterDisney has fans, NewDisney has customers. Fans are harder to gain, but expensive to lose. Disney+ seems to understand this, but the Parks, not so much. And unhappy fans of the parks aren't (yet) blaming D'Amaro.

NewDisney has lifestylers which is more hardcore than your traditional fan, and what Disney has cultivated over the last 20 years and is banking on for the future. Make no mistake Chapek was at the center of creating that lifestyler when he lead the Home Entertainment Group before moving to Consumer Products and then into Parks.

some other guy

considering that Iger was what happened when some rando greatgreatwhatever of Walt "saved" The Mouse from Eisner it seems like "saving" might be in the eye of the beholder

Lilofan

How some forgot. Son in law of Walt , Ron Miller was replaced by Eisner before corporate raiders would buy up Disney and break it apart and sell it. So they one who saved Disney like it or not was Michael Eisner.

lazyboy97o

I believe Roy Disney had something to do in Ron Miller losing his job and bringing in Eisner and Frank Wells to Save Disney.
Roy had everything to do with Miller losing his job. Things like Touchstone that powered a lot of Eisner’s “singles and doubles” success was started by Miller. Disney Channel was Miller. Even things like talking to George Lucas for theme park attractions started with Miller.

_caleb

Original Poster
History shows that Disney has indeed needed “saving” from time to time.

One could argue that Roy “saved” Disney from Walt a time or two.

I believe this is the secret to Disney’s success—though there have been pendulum swings between business and art, the company has managed to succeed doing both.

Disney today is majoring in purchased IP, gutting WDI, and bilking park guests. I believe some “saving” is needed.

Mmoore29

I do think, however, that Bob Chapek is now the Kathleen Kennedy of the Disney brand.
Kathleen Kennedy has done an amazing job at Lucasfilm, and the fact that her contract has been renewed is validation of her performance. The fact that there is so much pent-up demand for the series and the way the D+ work has been succeeding shows this quite boldly.

If you worry about Chapek's performance, call him the Alan Horn of the brand.

Whether Chapek's there or not, I can't say. It's early days yet. I always thought if there was going to be another "Save Disney" campaign, it would be because of Horn and his disastrous tenure as studio chair; I never could understand why Iger thinks of him as "my best hire." Horn never "calmed the waters", he's an arsonist that happens to be a firefighter, lighting ground fires and taking credit for putting them out. Someone like Meryl Poster should've been studio chair, with or without the rehiring of Dick Cook back to the position as her right hand.

I don't think Disney is at that point yet. After all, the Internet mouthbreathers have had precious little influence before; they're not going to start now. And "Save Disney" happened because of Roy, not outside influences. So a campaign would have to be an internal revolt, and that's not going to happen, simply because the standard they would have to measure against is latter-day Eisner. Chapek is certainly not that.

_caleb

Original Poster
Kathleen Kennedy has done an amazing job at Lucasfilm, and the fact that her contract has been renewed is validation of her performance. The fact that there is so much pent-up demand for the series and the way the D+ work has been succeeding shows this quite boldly.

If you worry about Chapek's performance, call him the Alan Horn of the brand.

Whether Chapek's there or not, I can't say. It's early days yet. I always thought if there was going to be another "Save Disney" campaign, it would be because of Horn and his disastrous tenure as studio chair; I never could understand why Iger thinks of him as "my best hire." Horn never "calmed the waters", he's an arsonist that happens to be a firefighter, lighting ground fires and taking credit for putting them out. Someone like Meryl Poster should've been studio chair, with or without the rehiring of Dick Cook back to the position as her right hand.

I don't think Disney is at that point yet. After all, the Internet mouthbreathers have had precious little influence before; they're not going to start now. And "Save Disney" happened because of Roy, not outside influences. So a campaign would have to be an internal revolt, and that's not going to happen, simply because the standard they would have to measure against is latter-day Eisner. Chapek is certainly not that.
When I said Chapek is “the Kathleen Kennedy of the Disney brand,“ I was referring to his reputation, not his performance. Kennedy get all the blame for things Star Wars fans don’t like about modern Star Wars, and none of the credit for anything fans actually do like, even though her role has been consistent throughout the hits and the misses.

Agree about Horn, but, as you mention, he was sort of the opposite. He managed to get a lot of credit for successes while avoiding blame for failures. Also, he leveraged a nice guy persona that neither Kennedy nor Chapek can seem to project.

Interesting thought about Poster. She would have made things interesting, and we would have a very different creative lineup today.

I don’t understand downplaying the influence of activist fans online. Either they’re a “mob” to be feared and or a bunch of dorks in their mom’s basement, but I’m not sure how they can be both.

In my estimation, the biggest difference between the current situation and previous “Save Disney” campaigns (besides the involvement of Roy, who was more the face than the strategist), is that this time, it’s the fans—not just shareholders—who are upset. And when fans become activist shareholders, well, that’s when things can get interesting.

Mmoore29

I don’t understand downplaying the influence of activist fans online. Either they’re a “mob” to be feared and or a bunch of dorks in their mom’s basement, but I’m not sure how they can be both.
They become a mob to be feared because corporate media projects them as such, they build up the narrative because they want something that's clickbait-y and sure to drive ratings. If the media didn't do that, the Snyder Cut fanboys, for example, would never have been anything more than a blip on the radar. Hell, even the Wall Street Bets crowd isn't truly that powerful, but the media likes to pretend otherwise, because just reporting the truth is so boring.

This isn't to say that activist investors have NO power, but their power is vastly exaggerated. Simply put, a behemoth like Disney is not going to turn based on these crowds, they're only going to move if there's dissension in the ranks inside the company, and there certainly was in 2003-2005. That ingredient is what is needed to power another "Save Disney" campaign, and it's just not there. It could potentially be in the future, but I doubt it. Again, if there was going to be, it would've been Horn that drove it.

Again, I personally think someone that a team of Poster and Dick Cook running the studio chair positions would've been quite the behemoth. Do I think that it would eliminate the Lucasfilm/Marvel/remake/Fox slate? No, but I bet there would be more than that, especially in keeping brands like Touchstone alive as well.

As a matter of fact, on a somewhat unrelated note, I've been working for a while on an alternate history timeline that includes this, or to be more specific, includes a much happier second half of Eisner's tenure, because of Bob Iger being named his number two from the start after the ABC acquisition. The details are here, and I hope you're interested enough to at least comment there: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/alternate-history-timeline-thread-involving-disney.971997/

Sir_Cliff

Abigail Disney to lead/be used to rally fans around a new "Save Disney"-type campaign against Chapek
Well, that is never going to happen. She may lead rallies against corporate greed in terms of worker salaries, for example, but I haven't seen any indication that the products Disney produce are of much interest to her. For example, I don't think she'd know what you were talking about or care if you mentioned the lack of theming at the Riviera or the introduction of Lightening Lane. To flip the scenario, how motivated are Disney fans by the cause of increasing cast member wages and conditions?

Her father's pitch to fans and shareholders was very different and had different motivations than Abigail Disney's current issues with Disney.

_caleb

Original Poster
Well, that is never going to happen. She may lead rallies against corporate greed in terms of worker salaries, for example, but I haven't seen any indication that the products Disney produce are of much interest to her. For example, I don't think she'd know what you were talking about or care if you mentioned the lack of theming at the Riviera or the introduction of Lightening Lane. To flip the scenario, how motivated are Disney fans by the cause of increasing cast member wages and conditions?

Her father's pitch to fans and shareholders was very different and had different motivations than Abigail Disney's current issues with Disney.

It’s the overlap of outrage that’s got my attention. Whether Abigail cares about bad theming doesn’t matter. She’s leading a charge against CM conditions, corporate greed (her new film), and Exec pay by naming Chapek as the one responsible and encouraging people to not go to the parks. This sort of corporate shaming has been instrumental in raising wages at several major corporations.

While she’s crusading against greed, lots and lots of fans (most of whom don’t care about CM wages or Exec salaries/bonuses) are upset about the current state and direction of the parks in particular. It’s way beyond the disappointment many of us Parks Nerds are feeling—loads of people are coming home from WDW feeling ripped off. When you’re mad about your overpriced vacation, who do you blame? The guy at the top.

You know who is stuck in the middle? CMs. And 30K were laid off in the last couple years. They’ve been calling for better treatment/pay, protesting, and negotiating (and winning). But the parks are still understaffed and poorly managed. And guess who they’re reaching out to looking for an advocate? Abigail Disney.

Again, I’m not making predictions. I’m just watching and observing.

Ghost93

Not sure if this is relevant but Bob Chapek's response to Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill is certainly angering Disney's LGBTQ fanbase and staff. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-florida-dont-say-gay-bill-response-1235105879.

It has garnered a lot of outrage on Twitter and it's one more issue being added to the growing list of complaints/bad publicity about Chapek. I wouldn't be surprised if it was used as an argument against him in a potential "Save Disney" campaign.

IanDLBZF

Not sure if this is relevant but Bob Chapek's response to Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill is certainly angering Disney's LGBTQ fanbase and staff. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-florida-dont-say-gay-bill-response-1235105879.

It has garnered a lot of outrage on Twitter and it's one more issue being added to the growing list of complaints/bad publicity about Chapek. I wouldn't be surprised if it was used as an argument against him in a potential "Save Disney" campaign.
And to add fuel to the fire, LGBTQ+ staff of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution filled the following letter via a Google Form. (ONLY SIGN THIS IF YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY!!!)
That letter reads as follows:
A Statement To Leadership From The Queer/LGBTQIA+ Employees of TWDC DMED & Their Allies
In the past couple of weeks, coverage on Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill and Texas’ anti-trans child welfare order have been ringing in the ears of queer folk and their allies around the United States and the world. Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill opens the door to silencing young queer folks and queer families in school, while Texas’ new order gives the state opportunity to investigate gender-affirming care as child abuse. During this coverage it has been brought to light the contributions that The Walt Disney Company has donated to the Florida state politicians who are sponsoring this anti-LGBTQ legislation. This has spiraled to protest marches in Florida and Burbank, calls to boycott The Walt Disney Company and their products, and a demand for a direct response from leadership.

At this point, the response from TWDC leadership has been lackluster at best and trying to play both sides at worst. Asking thousands of queer and questioning employees to wait for a DEI summit on March 22nd and April 13th is not the appropriate response, nor is promising the world that “inclusive content” will be our solution. Queer folks are used to this sort of hollow promise of allyship and inaction - the difference this time is The Walt Disney Company’s recent dedication to inclusivity and diversity.

TWDC has a long history of donations to politicians that actively try to combat our human rights, but previously TWDC did not have commitments to support this community. Now, TWDC has boldly stated that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a pillar of the company's mission and even introduced the fifth key of “Inclusion” to demonstrate that commitment. These keys are meant to be guiding principles for the company and its employees. The company’s lack of action seems to indicate that commitment may be as toothless as we feared it would be.

On March 2nd 2022, the TWDC’s Senior Vice President & Chief Diversity Officer, Latondra Newton, sent out a statement called “Showing support for our LGBTQ+ community” to all employees. This statement did not name the legislation in discussion, nor did it disavow its efforts. Rather the statement feigned general concern from a personal perspective - not from the company. The statement offered support through a “Reimagine Tomorrow” conversation on March 22nd - three weeks from the time the statement was sent. No disavowment. No message on if TWDC will choose to respond. No substantial action.

Although we are sure this statement was well intentioned, it failed. Our hope in having a Chief Diversity Officer would be to have that person hold the company to account, rather than release statements that toe the company line. We need an advocate, not a figurehead.

On March 7th 2022, TWDC CEO, Bob Chapek, released an additional statement reiterating Latondra Newton’s same points. He speaks to statements being weaponized and uses that as an excuse for the recent silence and lack of transparency. While we agree that statements can often be misinterpreted, silence is far worse. Without clarity, we’re all left to fill in the blanks. Additionally, adding this to his messages demonstrates defensiveness rather than leading with listening and understanding.

Chapek goes on to double down on the idea that TWDC “believe the best way for our company to bring about lasting change is through the inspiring content we produce, the welcoming culture we create, and the diverse community organizations we support.” This is not an actionable plan for affecting change. While contributions to other “community organizations” are appreciated, they don’t outweigh the legislative weight of actions such as these. We are tired of being treated as a “partisan issue”. Contributing to both Republicans and Democrats does not mitigate the fact that we are being actively harmed and TWDC has a hand in it. Claiming to focus on inclusion while continuing these practices is disingenuous.

Chapek then continues to list some familiar content as examples of this “inspiring content”: “Encanto, Black Panther, Pose, Reservation Dogs, Coco, Soul, Modern Family, Shang-Chi, Summer of Soul, Love, Victor.” Out of those examples, Pose and the Love, Simon/Victor properties were acquired as a part of the 20th Century Fox acquisition and were not intentional acts by Disney to produce queer content. What’s more, it seems Bob Chapek does not understand our intersectionality as a community and believes any sort of diverse content should satisfy the whole. We are not a monolith. Grouping all diverse groups together without acknowledging our differences is offensive. Bucketing all our identities demonstrates that the company does not have a real understanding of these groups and considers us simply a large box to check. Frankly, the content that represents our community truly isn’t there and to claim that is and always has been is dishonest. The content we are represented in routinely relegates us to side characters and often simple cameos that may get cut in foreign markets.

We hope that Bob Chapek and our leadership team understands the severity of this issue. 27 states (including Florida) still allow employees to be discriminated and fired based on sexual orientation or gender identity, and 2022 is expected to have the most anti-LGBTQ+ legislation introduced than ever before. 7 anti-trans bills were introduced in the first week of 2022 alone. The “Don’t Say Gay” bill is the first of many and we do not want to see TWDC dragged into this debate knowing it is not reflective of our employee base, content, and DEI policy despite the ongoing political donations. This is not a partisan issue. This is not a political issue. This is our lives. The lives of our loved ones, our children, our co-workers. This is our existence.

We are writing this statement to express our disappointment in The Walt Disney Company leadership and their non-response to these issues and to clarify that WE, the Queer and LGBTQIA+ employees, and their allies, who spend their time, labor, and skills on growing profits for this company, DENOUNCE these legislative efforts and do not support any politician that is actively supporting this legislation.

We demand that The Walt Disney Company and its leadership immediately withdraw their funding of politicians who support this legislation and that they forcefully denounce these efforts as antithetical to the ethics of TWDC and its employees.

Signed,

The Queer/LGBTQIA+ Employees of The Walt Disney Company DMED & Their Allies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmoore29

This Florida brouhaha is the only thing that drive a "Save Disney" campaign, because the "anti-woke" crowd doesn't have the power to do so, and they'll never link arms with the people saying "denounce the bill and stop funding these candidates." If this battle doesn't get another campaign up and running, than nothing will, and Chapek will be firmly established in his rule. Simply put, any chance for another "Save Disney" campaign is right here, right now, and if doesn't happen here, it never will, no matter what Chapek does.

IanDLBZF

It’s the overlap of outrage that’s got my attention. Whether Abigail cares about bad theming doesn’t matter. She’s leading a charge against CM conditions, corporate greed (her new film), and Exec pay by naming Chapek as the one responsible and encouraging people to not go to the parks. This sort of corporate shaming has been instrumental in raising wages at several major corporations.

While she’s crusading against greed, lots and lots of fans (most of whom don’t care about CM wages or Exec salaries/bonuses) are upset about the current state and direction of the parks in particular. It’s way beyond the disappointment many of us Parks Nerds are feeling—loads of people are coming home from WDW feeling ripped off. When you’re mad about your overpriced vacation, who do you blame? The guy at the top.

You know who is stuck in the middle? CMs. And 30K were laid off in the last couple years. They’ve been calling for better treatment/pay, protesting, and negotiating (and winning). But the parks are still understaffed and poorly managed. And guess who they’re reaching out to looking for an advocate? Abigail Disney.

Again, I’m not making predictions. I’m just watching and observing.

My theory is this will lead to a massive Save Disney campaign, and I see a second DisneyWar brewing. This time, it's Disney VS the fans and Abigail and cast members.
If Bob Chapek loses the vote tomorrow, he has the right to defend himself, but anything that's said by him could be used against him in court if needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom