Another “Save Disney” Campaign?

brb1006

I just want to start off by saying that i have a dream of working for the entire Disney company. I wanted to be like Walt Disney, the next generation Walt Disney. I keep drawing Disney characters since the end of 2021. The acquisition by them like Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century, National Geographic, Pixar and ABC stays and my passion project is Disney owning Winx Club. I wish Abigail Disney trust me to be in charge of the Disney company with a help of a female CEO like Jennifer Lee.
Isn't Winx Club owned by Viacom and Straffi?

Oscar

Isn't Winx Club owned by Viacom and Straffi?

Well, technically Viacom owns 30% of Rainbow. It's only second-party studio to them. Disney still owns the rights to Doug, which personally i grew up and loved the Nickelodeon version more than Disney's. I had a crush on Bloom as a kid.

Stripes

I know none of us are happy with Cheapsteak Bob right now. However, I say give him one more chance this year
Remeber, he too over in 2020 at the beginning of Covid19. He had to take immediate action to ptotect the company. Did he go too far? Yes. However, now the company is in good shape and the economy is stable. He has to take bold steps and grow the company. If he fails, as many expect, the Board has to replace him. He has 12 months, or it will be too late and the Board has to replace him. I hope he does the right thing because even with the horrible first 2 years, he still has a small window of time to show the Board they made the right decission in selecting him.
My biggest concern with Chapek is his lack of vision, strategic and creative. In interviews he cannot stop talking about Disney’s vast IP and the synergies that enables across various businesses. To quote Sally from Cars, “Figure all that out on your own, did you?” He says things like “We have eleven different franchises that have sold over $1 billion in consumer products that we can leverage in our parks.” This is not the kind of brain you want at the top of a creative company like Disney.

Does Chapek have a place at the Walt Disney Company? I think so. If I was CEO, I’d probably put him in charge of Consumer Products. But as CEO of the company? I don’t think so.

Also, I feel bad criticizing him for this because he probably has complex already but his public speaking skills are just abysmal, especially placed next to Iger.

Last edited:

Stripes

I wanted to be like Walt Disney, the next generation Walt Disney. I keep drawing Disney characters since the end of 2021. The acquisition by them like Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century, National Geographic, Pixar and ABC stays and my passion project is Disney owning Winx Club.
Keep practicing and you’ll get better and better. Being skilled at drawing is not something you’re born with, it’s something you learn.

You got this!!

DoleWhipDrea

Is a "perfect storm" brewing?

Abigail Disney's documentary The American Dream and Other Fairy Tales recently premiered at Sundance and is being shopped around to various streaming services (other than Disney+, of course.) Once it's available to stream, there's going to be a whole lot more people talking about it.

Variety article

Abigail has been talking about this for a few years now, whether the Bobs have liked it or not.

But now Bob Chapek is going to be up for re-election for the Board of Directors, and there's rumblings that shareholders aren't happy with his performance, either, and plan to vote "no" to keep Bob. Anyone else a shareholder on these boards? I'm sure there are.

Reddit rumblings

Recall that Eisner left due to his poor showing in similar circumstances. The Save Disney campaign had momentum due to Roy going to the public. Could we see potentially see history repeating itself?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Abigail Disney's documentary The American Dream and Other Fairy Tales recently premiered at Sundance and is being shopped around to various streaming services (other than Disney+, of course.) Once it's available to stream, there's going to be a whole lot more people talking about it.

Variety article

Abigail has been talking about this for a few years now, whether the Bobs have liked it or not.

But now Bob Chapek is going to be up for re-election for the Board of Directors, and there's rumblings that shareholders aren't happy with his performance, either, and plan to vote "no" to keep Bob. Anyone else a shareholder on these boards? I'm sure there are.

Reddit rumblings

Recall that Eisner left due to his poor showing in similar circumstances. The Save Disney campaign had momentum due to Roy going to the public. Could we see potentially see history repeating itself?
We live in a different time than back in the original "Save Disney" campaign.

Institutional investors now make up 66.72% of all voting shares of Disney. Its very unlikely that enough of them (over 50.1%) would vote against any Board of Directors. Also its the Board of Directors that gets rid of a CEO not shareholders.

So this idea of a new "Save Disney" era happening is just a dream.

seascape

Variety article

Reddit rumblings

Abigail Disney was born rich. She never had to work a day in her life. She has no idea what the real world is like and thinks everyone should have it as easy as she did. She fails to understand how hard Walt and Roy worked and that they had to struggle for everything they earned and Abigail jusy received because of her last name. Yes, I believe people should be paid for what they are worth to the business and people who work full time should end up with a livable wage. However, that is not the samething as saying a business should have to pay a person whose job brings in $10.00 an hour should pay the employee $15.00 an hour plus benefits and payroll taxes. The government and tax payers should make up the difference for those who work full time, even if it for 2 or 3 different companies. This is an economic debate not political and we need everyone working being productive not at home doing nothing. We are all better off if people work producing something and subsidizing a living standard by creating a better tax structure. The rich and upper middleclass will end up better off if we make sure the middleclass and lower income workers all have reasonable take home income. We need to be a country that cares for everyone while at the sane time embracing Capitalism and what works for everyone, rich, the middle and the poor.

Lilofan

Abigail Disney was born rich. She never had to work a day in her life. She has no idea what the real world is like and thinks everyone should have it as easy as she did. She fails to understand how hard Walt and Roy worked and that they had to struggle for everything they earned and Abigail jusy received because of her last name. Yes, I believe people should be paid for what they are worth to the business and people who work full time should end up with a livable wage. However, that is not the samething as saying a business should have to pay a person whose job brings in $10.00 an hour should pay the employee $15.00 an hour plus benefits and payroll taxes. The government and tax payers should make up the difference for those who work full time, even if it for 2 or 3 different companies. This is an economic debate not political and we need everyone working being productive not at home doing nothing. We are all better off if people work producing something and subsidizing a living standard by creating a better tax structure. The rich and upper middleclass will end up better off if we make sure the middleclass and lower income workers all have reasonable take home income. We need to be a country that cares for everyone while at the sane time embracing Capitalism and what works for everyone, rich, the middle and the poor.
Good points but are we as a country ready to accept paying even higher pricing of everyday products? There are reasons why many USA companies outsource their operations overseas , one reason - lower labor costs, more productivity. I'm not thrilled about it but that is reality.

lazyboy97o

Dolly knows how to take care of her employees.

This is not actually Dolly’s doing. This is a new program being offered by Herschend Family Entertainment who is Dolly’s partner in the park and operates it. They program is for all of their employees, so not just those at Dollywood but also other properties like Silver Dollar Coty.

seascape

This is not actually Dolly’s doing. This is a new program being offered by Herschend Family Entertainment who is Dolly’s partner in the park and operates it. They program is for all of their employees, so not just those at Dollywood but also other properties like Silver Dollar Coty.
Don't forget Disney has offered free collage to CMs for several years. I don't know if Universal does that yet.

Diamond Dot

Abigail Disney just wants attention on herself, she was born privileged and pretends to care about the CMs, but, at the end of the day it's all about her. It find it jarring that she bangs on about Bob Iger's payout, but, you could argue he earned it even if it is a ridiculous amount, but, what did Ms Disney do to earn her wealth?
Perhaps Ms disney would like to put her money where her mouth is and start a trust fund using some of her personal wealth to provide funds for CMs who find themselves in financial need because the company who bears her name is such a terrible employer. Better still, how about she gives it all up and live off the proceedings of the books and movies she produces criticising her grandfather, father and great uncle.

_caleb

Original Poster
Abigail Disney just wants attention on herself, she was born privileged and pretends to care about the CMs, but, at the end of the day it's all about her. It find it jarring that she bangs on about Bob Iger's payout, but, you could argue he earned it even if it is a ridiculous amount, but, what did Ms Disney do to earn her wealth?
Perhaps Ms disney would like to put her money where her mouth is and start a trust fund using some of her personal wealth to provide funds for CMs who find themselves in financial need because the company who bears her name is such a terrible employer. Better still, how about she gives it all up and live off the proceedings of the books and movies she produces criticising her grandfather, father and great uncle.
You must know Abigail Disney really well to know her intentions.

I don’t really know anything about her, but (as has been mentioned), she has given away a lot of money and is putting “her money where her mouth is” by creating the film The American Dream and other Fairy Tales.

_caleb

Original Poster
We live in a different time than back in the original "Save Disney" campaign.

Institutional investors now make up 66.72% of all voting shares of Disney. Its very unlikely that enough of them (over 50.1%) would vote against any Board of Directors. Also its the Board of Directors that gets rid of a CEO not shareholders.

So this idea of a new "Save Disney" era happening is just a dream.
We do live in different times than the first two “Save Disney” campaigns. Now we have Twitter, Instagram, etc. which amplify messaging in ways that can influence public perception.

I’m watching what happens as activist investors try to organize (on Reddit, etc.) in order to buy shares and influence the BoD.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We do live in different times than the first two “Save Disney” campaigns. Now we have Twitter, Instagram, etc. which amplify messaging in ways that can influence public perception.

I’m watching what happens as activist investors try to organize (on Reddit, etc.) in order to buy shares and influence the BoD.
Its very unlikely they would be able to buy enough to sway any vote. Again 66.72% of all voting shares are owned by institutional investors, meaning mutual funds, etc. Which basically all have an automatic yes vote on anything including keeping the current Board of Directors.

And also again just because Chapek is can be voted out as a Board of Director doesn't mean he is gone as CEO. Its the Board that is the only one who can get rid of a CEO, not shareholders. So while its unlikely he'd even be removed from the Board by shareholders, even if he was he would still remain the CEO.

So again this romantic notion that a new "Save Disney" campaign is going to oust Chapek is just a fantasy, I give it about a 0.0001% chance of actually happening and being successful. Which is to say that I'm not saying it'll never happen, just that is very highly unlikely to have the desired effect that many want.

Looking like Chapek is saving Disney himself with these earnings. Smashed across the board and Genie+ is obviously working out extremely well. Streaming growing on track as well…

_caleb

Original Poster
The earnings report tells me that there was a lot of built-up demand as people who had been putting off their vacations finally went. Problem is, those who went are coming home disappointed and upset.

When Disney reports massive earnings like this (on the parks side more than digital), it serves as further evidence that the parks need new leadership.

Families are paying $6K+ for a diminished experience (amenities cut, Epcot is a mess, Genie/LL+ is confusing), CMs are struggling, and parks made $7.2 billion in revenue for Q1?

This is going to add fuel to the fire of any Save Disney redux.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The earnings report tells me that there was a lot of built-up demand as people who had been putting off their vacations finally went. Problem is, those who went are coming home disappointed and upset.

When Disney reports massive earnings like this (on the parks side more than digital), it serves as further evidence that the parks need new leadership.

Families are paying $6K+ for a diminished experience (amenities cut, Epcot is a mess, Genie/LL+ is confusing), CMs are struggling, and parks made $7.2 billion in revenue for Q1?

This is going to add fuel to the fire of any Save Disney redux.
Maybe....

However if over the next several quarters it remains high, then I would think that indicates that guests aren't as disappointed and upset as you make them out to be or at least not enough to stay away.

Also one thing to note is that even if Chapek is somehow replaced doesn't mean things at the Parks will just go back to the way it was pre-Bobs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom