Annual Passholder RFID begin processing 3/20

PhilharMagician

Now now, those bathrooms over there compete for DVC as being the best kept secret.

Which ones? The bathrooms by the first aid center side (Mexico side) of the building or the bathrooms just inside the entrance of the Oddysey Bldg on the TT side? The doors have always been open on the TT side at the Oddysey Bldg when we are in Epcot and nobody ever uses those bathrooms. The only time I have ever seen those bathroom off limits is when an event is scheduled for it.

The inside bathrooms are definitely a well kept secret.

cgulls

Highly doubtful. Your annual pass is good for 1 year, your room key is only good for a few days. RFID room keys and magic bands are meant to be single use, so that they can be voided and cancelled after your visit for security purposes. If the annual pass was linked to the room, they would have to void it after your hotel visit and then issue you a brand new annual pass card everytime you visit a resort. So it makes sense to just keep the two items seperate from the beginning.

This is of course the logical assumption based on information provided by Disney about RFID and magic bands, however, anything can happen down the road.

I thought I'd read that the magicbands would be something you could reuse. If so, that would suggest they'd just need to be re-programmed, not re-issued, right?

TRONorail10

I thought I'd read that the magicbands would be something you could reuse. If so, that would suggest they'd just need to be re-programmed, not re-issued, right?

I stand corrected. Disney is now stating that the bands can be re-used. In some early statements, Disney stated they were to be single-use. The truth behind the matter though, those bands do not have an infinite life-span. The chips inside will eventually die out and Disney is well aware of this. That is why any information on the magic bands goes directly to a server so that the information is not lost if and when the chip dies. The length of life the magic band will have is similar to a battery, it will all depend how much use it endures.

PhilharMagician

I'm very jazzed about it being plastic. I have had so much trouble with the paper tickets not working and hope this will fix that! :)

I have only ever had one replaced and that was because I washed it and I spend at least 30 days in the parks per year using my AP's. I have had quite a few of the plastic KTTW cards go bad on us over the years and with resort hopping I never stay more than 8 days at any resort. I expect that at least once per trip to WDW one of my families KTTW card will fail and always when you don't want it too. Now with RFID instead of the magnetic strip the plastic cards should be a lot more dependable.

pjammer

Good to know. I was wondering what would happen after that date. we dont arrive in wdw until june 30. wonder how it will work with the premier pass and our DL access?
Premier Pass conversion will not be included on this current round. The bar code required for DL entry is not on these tickets.

coachwnh

Premier Pass conversion will not be included on this current round. The bar code required for DL entry is not on these tickets.
So can we convert while in WDW in July then in August get an old paper ticket like we have now for our trip to DL?

pjammer

So can we convert while in WDW in July then in August get an old paper ticket like we have now for our trip to DL?
Unfortunately not. You will have to wait until both coast get the right stock to convert. As long as you have photo ID you will be accepted at the new entrance.

StarWarsGirl

So my father has been complaining for years about the paper passes. As in RANTING about them. "Why do they give me the stupid paper pass but give the one day passes in a card form?" Just would go on and on and on...

And then I tell him that they've changed them. "Whatever. I don't care."

!!!!:mad:!!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Highly doubtful. Your annual pass is good for 1 year, your room key is only good for a few days. RFID room keys and magic bands are meant to be single use, so that they can be voided and cancelled after your visit for security purposes

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to link your AP to your room... the system used for the traditional cards have a time limit on the card to room link.. no reason they couldn't do the same with an AP's 'id'.

Your old keycard wasn't 'voided' it simply wasn't associated with the room lock anymore. Those cards were made to be reused.

msteel

Close, at least as far as I understand the technology. Actually the bands themselves would not need to be reprogrammed, since all that is likely to be in them is an ID number. The ID number would be associated with one or more database records. The databases would be able to be reprogrammed to a different ticket number, room number, etc. Or, the band would be able to be reused by another person simply by re-associating the ID number with a different account.

The truth behind the matter though, those bands do not have an infinite life-span. The chips inside will eventually die out and Disney is well aware of this. That is why any information on the magic bands goes directly to a server so that the information is not lost if and when the chip dies. The length of life the magic band will have is similar to a battery, it will all depend how much use it endures.

Also close. The two RFID chips don't require a battery, since they are powered by the radio signal broadcast by the reader. So those chips would continue to operate even after the battery died. Those chips would likely be what is used for ticketing, fastpass, tap to pay, and room entry - anywhere you have to physically scan the band to a reader. So those features would likely work indefinitely. The non-band media would also likely have these same types of chips in them.

The other technology mentioned in the patent for the bands is the 2.4GHz transmitter. This is the part that is likely for longer range scanning since that requires a lot more power. Whatever the 2.4GHz beacon gets used for, this it the only thing that is likely to fail when the battery dies.

And, as usual Flynn's post is right on about the technology.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I went through the new "turnstiles" at MK this weekend and they had a CM with a handheld device scanning APs. This will probably be standard procedure till all Aps get converted over to the new pass.

I guess all entrances will be converted to RFID. Wonder if they'll still have the fingerprint readers for APs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom