News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

Dad 2 M & M

They absolutely don’t want to lower crowds

New Rides = cost money = employees = cost more money = avoided whenever possible

They absolutely want to charge everyone more
Any take on why they don't? Clearly they are still on the Inelastic part of the Demand curve, where an increase price would NOT lower Quantity Demanded....why don't they jack the prices to the extreme? It won't reduce the gate......Serious question here.....
But there are consequences to your low taxes...go past what’s sadly labeled a “school” there or look at how much is paid out in social programs...

But you know that. Back to Disney
Why even entertain his take? Sales tax in Florida .... like the ENTIRE range is 6%-8%

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any take on why they don't? Clearly they are still on the Inelastic part of the Demand curve, where an increase price would NOT lower Quantity Demanded....why don't they jack the prices to the extreme? It won't reduce the gate......Serious question here.....
Disney parks are built to serve a mass, middle class audience. That’s how they were planned, constructed and logistically laid out. Disney knows - as do many who have studied them and even some who “escaped from Alcatraz” - that any talk of “reducing crowds” is a complete front. That has never been...nor ever can be...a legitImate plan of action. It’s always to expand the gate and take.

Now...if you’re a 65 year old ceo who wants to cash out and your portfolios biggest profits (stock) driver is parks...then maybe you say “we’re elite now...and gosh darn it, we’re gonna raise your prices to control the peasants”

But then you build unending timeshares...pop attractions based on avatar, Star Wars and guardians of the galaxy (not your upper crust draws...that would be exclusive resorts and fine dining) and character meals out the whizang...

Then you retire, dump your stock and snicker
Why even entertain his take?
Because he’s fun to play with and I usually agree with him 🤪

Dad 2 M & M

Disney parks are built to serve a mass, middle class audience. That’s how they were planned, constructed and logistically laid out. Disney knows - as do many who have studied them and even some who “escaped from Alcatraz” - that any talk of “reducing crowds” is a complete front. That has never been...nor ever can be...a legitImate plan of action. It’s always to expand the gate and take.

Now...if you’re a 65 year old ceo who wants to cash out and your portfolios biggest profits (stock) driver is parks...then maybe you say “we’re elite now...and gosh darn if we’re gonna raise your prices to control the peasants”

But then you build unending timeshares...pop attractions based on avatar, Star Wars and guardians of the galaxy (not your upper crust draws...that would be exclusive resorts and dine dining) and character meals out the whizang...

Then you retire, dump your stock and snicker
Because he’s fun to play with and I usually agree with him 🤪
But Disney COULD raise prices way higher than current and the gate will continue to expand. Your entire reply points out what they've done to be able to raise the price(s). Why don't they raise the price even higher?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But Disney COULD raise prices way higher than current and the gate will continue to expand. Your entire reply points out what they've done to be able to raise the price(s). Why don't they raise the price even higher?

Blowback behind the scenes...resulting in soft areas of the operation that still sport overhead.

Easy examples are that they have had a hard time selling “deluxe” rooms at their prices for 10-20 years...and the overall demand for lodging is soft because they haven’t dared build any new traditional rooms for almost 20.

So there are limits to what can be done...but the aggregate 100-125% price increase on every single product over Igers tenure is pretty impressicd

We’re now in his “endgame”

Dad 2 M & M

Blowback behind the scenes...resulting in soft areas of the operation that still sport overhead.

Easy examples are that they have had a hard time selling “deluxe” rooms at their prices for 10-20 years...and the overall demand for lodging is soft because they haven’t dared build any new traditional rooms for almost 20.

So there are limits to what can be done...but the aggregate 100-125% price increase on every single product over Igers tenure is pretty impressicd

We’re now in his “endgame”
Iger's tenure as COO began in 2000, or about 20 years ago. So the Deluxe demand (or lack of) happened during Iger's tenure? What is a "Traditional Room"? Is it Deluxe, Mod, or Value? What is the ratio between gate and peeps staying in Deluxe rooms? Must be low if Deluxe sales are low, and gate continues to climb. The peeps staying at Deluxe Resorts are usually not ones that you be hurt by a ticket price increase.......Comment was very abstract....

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Iger's tenure as COO began in 2000, or about 20 years ago. So the Deluxe demand (or lack of) happened during Iger's tenure? What is a "Traditional Room"? Is it Deluxe, Mod, or Value? What is the ratio between gate and peeps staying in Deluxe rooms? Must be low if Deluxe sales are low, and gate continues to climb. The peeps staying at Deluxe Resorts are usually not ones that you be hurt by a ticket price increase.......Comment was very abstract....

I would bet that a large population of people staying at Deluxe resorts are extending their credit well beyond their means.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I believe they are on record saying they want to use higher prices to control crowds.
Yes they have...
...they are also lying.

Why? Simple psychology.

They tell you they are increasing prices for your benefit and you:
1. Think things will get better, making it a more attractive product.
2. Make you feel “real special”...when you are not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
During this period they’ve built no new deluxe properties and have been converting capacity to dvc rooms. Dvc, not deluxe, has been their tool.
Technically speaking...they have not started construction on a single rack room in wdw under Iger until the Coronado tower - which isn’t exactly a hard reason to figure out why that’s “the one” to get back into the game with

Pop century in mothballs and all DVC units or conversions.

No Deluxe...no moderate...only an unfinished value.

Net moderate and deluxe rooms are down.

Tony the Tigger

However, for those who do not live in Florida, the park experience is ruined by their presence and 'abuse' of the annual pass.

Your posts are quite obnoxious. There’s nothing stopping you from moving to Florida if you’re so envious of saving a few hundred bucks.

I'd be curious as to why international tourists can't buy the same annual pass that Floridians do ?

Well in your case, you simply don’t deserve it.

The Crux is why Disney have a system in place - that drives away the main money makers Internation tourists by discounting crowd contributing local residents who spend little?

As a business, no one can explain to me why this discount is allowed.

If that has to be spelled out for you...

Let’s start with...who do you think a bartender or server is happier to see - me or you? (Hint: I tip without a giant tipping debate.) You could go either way, as far as they know.

My Weekday Select pass is appropriately discounted because it contains approximately 100 fewer days than any other annual pass, plus the summer blockout.

I go on days “the locals” would typically be at work. We just went in late April/early May on weekdays and everything at MK was a walk-on all night. Gee, I really crowded the place up. Then I went for nice TS lunches and signature dinners most days without a silly dining plan.

Speaking of plans, I do my research and intentionally go on the slowest days of the week at the slowest times of year. You, too can learn to google crowd calendars.

The Brits I know well and meet are practically Canadians in my book, don’t know what your issue is.

I’m through with this witness.

awoogala

As a publicly traded company Disney can and will charge whatever the market will bear no matter what it is AP, park tickets, food, room rates, new fees etc. Every time they raise prices, which seems to be a frequent occurrence lately we moan and groan (admit I do too) but does Disney care --not one bit and I doubt they consult this forum. It all comes down to pay it and go or spend your money else where. for the time being I'll spend my money elsewhere
the worst part is being a fan, AND a stockholder... I love it, I hate it, "ooh, I made $" "ARGGH, they're costing me more money" lol it's a roller coaster of emotions, I tell ya...

HoldenC

As an Orlando Platinum Plus passholder this really tests my loyalty to the company. I still have about 3 months before I renew? Do I stay at my level or downgrade. I only have my AP tier because of water park access and the no block out dates. I could definitely downgrade to platinum and just buy a water park AP. I've flirted with the idea of upgrading my SeaWorld pass to include Aquactica and BGT, but why waste that when Typhoon Lagooon exists?? Lots too consider.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom