News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Your posts are quite obnoxious. There’s nothing stopping you from moving to Florida if you’re so envious of saving a few hundred bucks.

Well in your case, you simply don’t deserve it.

If that has to be spelled out for you...

Let’s start with...who do you think a bartender or server is happier to see - me or you? (Hint: I tip without a giant tipping debate.) You could go either way, as far as they know.

My Weekday Select pass is appropriately discounted because it contains approximately 100 fewer days than any other annual pass, plus the summer blockout.

I go on days “the locals” would typically be at work. We just went in late April/early May on weekdays and everything at MK was a walk-on all night. Gee, I really crowded the place up. Then I went for nice TS lunches and signature dinners most days without a silly dining plan.

Speaking of plans, I do my research and intentionally go on the slowest days of the week at the slowest times of year. You, too can learn to google crowd calendars.

The Brits I know well and meet are practically Canadians in my book, don’t know what your issue is.

I’m through with this witness.
I don't know if I should be offended or happy with your second to last paragraph eh ...

Dad 2 M & M

During this period they’ve built no new deluxe properties and have been converting capacity to dvc rooms. Dvc, not deluxe, has been their tool.
Heard that....trying to extract an answer to "soft" deluxe during the period of growth. Your take works for me.....
the worst part is being a fan, AND a stockholder... I love it, I hate it, "ooh, I made $" "ARGGH, they're costing me more money" lol it's a roller coaster of emotions, I tell ya...
I'm always a bit miffed when peeps offer being a stockholder.......it's publicly traded/no secret knock needed......volatility IS the market.......up tremendously in the last few years

Last edited:

kong1802

I seem to remember some guy over on the magical forest weboard warning this during the housing crash 10 years ago...cautioning what raising base prices on everything under the shield of the DDP and “free dining” coupons would come home to roost as they then doubled down on non-discounted prices during “boom”. Longterm erosion leading to critical mass pricing policies.

I wish that guy was around 😉

That guy had "logic". Usually met with the usual "pixie dust" rebuttals.

Technically speaking...they have not started construction on a single rack room in wdw under Iger until the Coronado tower - which isn’t exactly a hard reason to figure out why that’s “the one” to get back into the game with

Pop century in mothballs and all DVC units or conversions.

No Deluxe...no moderate...only an unfinished value.

Net moderate and deluxe rooms are down.

This is absolutely true. Also why last year we were able to snag POFQ for $99/night on priceline. Couldn't do that when they were going for $140/night. But at $229/night all of the sudden they are having to dump them from time to time.

I'm still in a state of disbelief that the FL resident Plat Plus that we bought October 2017 for $749 I believe is now $1k. In less than two years time. Being "dialed in" more than the average person you would think that it wouldn't have had the impact on me that it did. But it's hard if not impossible to justify.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but I work with a very pro disney crowd. Most of the complaining on price increases I would see were scattered amongst the interwebs. People around me would bemoan but reactions were pretty sterile. More like, "well, it's still worth it". After this latest hike, I heard my first "We're done" reactions. It'll be interesting to see the real effects from this one. Are people really done, or are we still a few clicks away?

HoldenC

Take Disney out of Orlando and the state of Florida, and you are talking about the collapse of Orlando as a city - and a huge downward spiral to the state, as well as accompanying off shoots - employment, taxes reduced.

There is simply no need for Disney to keep things 'ultra' sweet with the state to the point they lose money and reduce their own product by offering cheap annual passes.

The local population aren't being inconvenienced. Without Disney the city would be devastated.
We get it. You hate Orlando.

nickys

Premium Member
There is literally no discount for UK tickets.

You can get a 2 week ticket, which is about the same cost as an annual pass for Floridan residents.

Disgraceful. And it makes no marketting sense.

When the parks are full, why are they offering discounts?

Have you tried working out the cost per day for our U.K. tickets compared to the tickets on sale in the US?

We get a huge discount per day, if we went every single day. However Disney isn’t stupid, they know very few would go every day for 14 or 21 days (unless staying onsite). Even so, we still get a great deal IMO.

nickys

Premium Member
The 21 day ticket is pointless. Very few residents from the UK will go on a consecutive 3 week holiday to Disney.

And you know this how? Anecdotally, at the primary school I work at, we have 5 families away just now, a week before term finishes. 2 families are staying for 3 weeks, 1 family is staying for 2 weeks, 1 family is doing 1 week in Orlando, a week’s cruise and another week back in Orlando, and the 5th family are doing a week then a week’s cruise. That’s just the ones away this week. Several others are doing 3 weeks starting next weekend.

And you do know most of the time we get 14 days for the price of 7, and 21 days for the price of 14?

deeevo

Take Disney out of Orlando and the state of Florida, and you are talking about the collapse of Orlando as a city - and a huge downward spiral to the state, as well as accompanying off shoots - employment, taxes reduced.

There is simply no need for Disney to keep things 'ultra' sweet with the state to the point they lose money and reduce their own product by offering cheap annual passes.

The local population aren't being inconvenienced. Without Disney the city would be devastated.

Your high... we would not go into huge downward spiral without Disney. We have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and tourism would continue to be strong even without Disney. Obviously Orlando would be effected but not to the extent you think it would. Universal and Sea World combined pack a pretty strong punch to tourism in Orlando and also BG in Tampa. This state has always been the top tourist destination behind California even before 1971. Also... you can have Summer at WDW... I have no problem being blacked out and most AP's are smart enough to stay away from the parks in the Summer time other than fanboys and bloggers. I will spend my time in Anna Maria (twss) like I did yesterday.

LSLS

BLACKOUT DATES.

When annual pass holders now have blackout dates the parks are wonderfully manageable.

Summer holidays used to be unbearable. Now with the blackout dates, last summer was actually wonderful.

Again, based on what? A single anecdotal trip does not equal evidence, especially when you are making the case that it felt less crowded to you without anything to even back up that single day. Give me numbers. What numbers are you pointing to that shows you are correct? You tell me your hard data that is trumping the data Disney has for the need for these passes.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Most of us know the parks have gradually gotten more crowded over the last several years, with Disney intentionally trying to shore up slower times, and with the internet amplifying everything.

Andrew thinks more Floridians suddenly started buying Annual Passes because they were BOGO at Publix or something.

I mean, Publix BOGO passes would be a good way to get a crowd.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A loss of around 70,000 direct jobs with Disney.

Then there is the secondary jobs elsewhere in the eco system - be it airports, car hire companies, shops around Orlando, restaurants, shopping, even to other theme parks, hotels, employment in these other secondary locations, etc

To suggest the effect wouldn't be huge is barbaric. You are essentially talking about the collapse of the city.
From Wikipedia:
Orlando is a major industrial and hi-tech center. The metro area has a $13.4 billion technology industry employing 53,000 people;[citation needed] and is a nationally recognized cluster of innovation in digital media, agricultural technology, aviation, aerospace, and software design. More than 150 international companies, representing approximately 20 countries, have facilities in Metro Orlando.

Orlando has the 7th-largest research park in the country, Central Florida Research Park, with over 1,025 acres (4.15 km2). It is home to over 120 companies, employs more than 8,500 people, and is the hub of the nation's military simulation and training programs. Near the end of each year, the Orange County Convention Center hosts the world's largest modeling and simulation conference: Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC). Metro Orlando is home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.

Lockheed Martin has a large manufacturing facility for missile systems, aeronautical craft and related high tech research. Other notable engineering firms have offices or labs in Metro Orlando: KDF, General Dynamics, Harris, Mitsubishi Power Systems, Siemens, Veritas/Symantec, multiple USAF facilities, Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWCTSD), Delta Connection Academy, Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University, GE, Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS), U.S. Army Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation (PEO STRI), United States Army Research, Development and Engineering Command United States Army Simulation and Training Technology Center (STTC), AT&T, Boeing, CAE Systems Flight and Simulation Training, Hewlett-Packard, Institute for Simulation and Training, National Center for Simulation, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon Systems. The Naval Training Center until a few years ago was one of the two places where nuclear engineers were trained for the US Navy. Now the land has been converted into the Baldwin Park development. Numerous office complexes for large corporations have popped up along the Interstate 4 corridor north of Orlando, especially in Maitland, Lake Mary and Heathrow.

Orlando is close enough to Patrick Air Force Base, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, and Kennedy Space Center for residents to commute to work from the city's suburbs. It also allows easy access to Port Canaveral, a cruise ship terminal.

Orlando is the home base of Darden Restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse, and the largest operator of restaurants in the world by revenue. In September 2009 it moved to a new headquarters and central distribution facility.
[65]

There's more than just Disney in Orlando. Disney leaving would not destroy the local economy.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Then there is the secondary jobs elsewhere in the eco system - be it airports, car hire companies, shops around Orlando, restaurants, shopping, even to other theme parks, hotels, employment in these other secondary locations, etc

To suggest the effect wouldn't be huge is barbaric. You are essentially talking about the collapse of the city.

Oh, please. While Disney is the largest single site employer in the state, Orlando is (a) home to the largest university in the SUS, (b) a SE financial center for many of the largest banks in the region, (c) close proximity to several military bases and Kennedy Space Center, (d) home to a major sports team, etc. While losing WDW would impact the local economy, Orlando and Central Florida won't vanish if TDO decides to close up shop. Which they won't do. No company is going to shut the doors to the most visited place on the planet.

bubbles1812

Why are we talking about a theoretical that is never going to happen? WDW ain’t going to move.

(And especially not to the UK, despite your seeming wish)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom