News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Goofy213

Seems like Rat has not taken that long. How long have they been working on it? That's a pretty complex ride system, and from rumors Poppins isn't. I know Rat is a clone, but hopefully they fixed some of the mistakes they made in France on this one. Needless to say that Rat has not been as long as a project as Star Wars, Pandora, or even the smaller project of SDMT. 2022 is not unrealistic for Poppins if it was started after Rat opens, which according to sources will be in the next couple months. Furthermore look at the work that was done with MMRR, most of the set peices were made months in advance in a warehouse. Most of Poppins could already be constructed and waiting for a home to put it in. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rat and MMRR were relatively short in construction time even with the amount of detail they put into them. If the same goes for Poppins we may just be somewhat surprised.

Homemade Imagineering

i guess you could make small world an omnimover or trackless. Yes itwoul be the same happiest cruise but it could be good to do a new spin on a classic
Personally, I wouldn’t want IASW to go into Epcot, especially in a space that has a ton of future potential at the moment. IASW has always been a castle park staple, and while it does fit Future world’s theme, it feels extremely unnecessary to move it to Epcot, but instead give it updates similar to Tokyo’s IASW for the 50th. Imagination doesn’t deserve to be replaced by any existing attraction that would have to be moved. If Disney is smart, they’ll stick with a dreamfinder and figment concept of some type, no matter the budget. Now of course we all have our opinions about imagination’s future, and that’s okay. Just wanted to throw mine out there

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
So what’s the deal here? Cancelled? Halted? Delayed? Does anyone know?

Assumption at this point is that any project that hasn't began construction is on hold, including Poppins. This could eventually be a blessing. From all reports, the current plan was scaled back. Perhaps, we will receive something better in the future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seems like Rat has not taken that long. How long have they been working on it? That's a pretty complex ride system, and from rumors Poppins isn't. I know Rat is a clone, but hopefully they fixed some of the mistakes they made in France on this one. Needless to say that Rat has not been as long as a project as Star Wars, Pandora, or even the smaller project of SDMT. 2022 is not unrealistic for Poppins if it was started after Rat opens, which according to sources will be in the next couple months. Furthermore look at the work that was done with MMRR, most of the set peices were made months in advance in a warehouse. Most of Poppins could already be constructed and waiting for a home to put it in. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rat and MMRR were relatively short in construction time even with the amount of detail they put into them. If the same goes for Poppins we may just be somewhat surprised.

Site work appears to have started around October of 2017. So we were looking at around 2 1/2 years to build.

UNCgolf

Rat didn't have to be designed first, though. They were just cloning a ride that already existed. MMRR did have to be designed, but they were also using an existing building (and one that was basically already a large warehouse rather than something that needed significant retrofitting) as opposed to constructing something from the ground up with all the site prep etc. that entails.

Considering they apparently never even decided exactly what they wanted to build for Poppins (other than the Cherry Tree Lane facades), they'd have to actually finalize a decision and then build the whole attraction and facade from scratch. I would expect it to take longer than Rat or MMRR.

Purduevian

Rat didn't have to be designed first, though. They were just cloning a ride that already existed. MMRR did have to be designed, but they were also using an existing building (and one that was basically already a large warehouse rather than something that needed significant retrofitting) as opposed to constructing something from the ground up with all the site prep etc. that entails.

Considering they apparently never even decided exactly what they wanted to build for Poppins (other than the Cherry Tree Lane facades), they'd have to actually finalize a decision and then build the whole attraction and facade from scratch. I would expect it to take longer than Rat or MMRR.

I think you would be surprised at the amount of design work needed to clone a ride. Site differences, building code differences, weather differences, and guest flow differences would all take a long time to sort out. I'm not saying it's as complicated as designing a new ride from scratch, but it's not just Ctrl+C and Ctrl+v

UNCgolf

I think you would be surprised at the amount of design work needed to clone a ride. Site differences, building code differences, weather differences, and guest flow differences would all take a long time to sort out. I'm not saying it's as complicated as designing a new ride from scratch, but it's not just Ctrl+C and Ctrl+v

No, I know -- I meant the actual ride itself (i.e. the show pieces, the sets, etc.), not all the surrounding site prep. With Mary Poppins, they don't even have that as far as we know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom