News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

UNCgolf

It hasn’t been a carousel for some time if it really ever was. The last I had was a Enchanted Tales with Belle type experience. Poppins has troubles before the closures became a thing as well.

Yeah, there were also some hints that it could end up as an Enchanted Tales type thing as well but people seemed to stick with the carousel idea.

They were also quite clear that nothing was ever permanently decided, which is why I doubt anything ever gets built there, at least in the near future.

Rteetz

Yeah, there were also some hints that it could end up as an Enchanted Tales type thing as well but people seemed to stick with the carousel idea.

They were also quite clear that nothing was ever permanently decided, which is why I doubt anything ever gets built there, at least in the near future.
I reported here several times some updates on this attraction I’ve the last couple months. Before it went on hiatus which was in January it was pretty much settled on an enchanted tales experience. Like you said there was a lot of back and forth on what it would be. I certainly see this being cancelled altogether or delayed for a very long time especially after this long closure.

The Grand Inquisitor

I reported here several times some updates on this attraction I’ve the last couple months. Before it went on hiatus which was in January it was pretty much settled on an enchanted tales experience. Like you said there was a lot of back and forth on what it would be. I certainly see this being cancelled altogether or delayed for a very long time especially after this long closure.
Wow that's pretty lame. Why cant Disney build a small dark ride like Peter Pan?

Josh Hendy

Wow that's pretty lame. Why cant Disney build a small dark ride like Peter Pan?
Or a large ride.

I wonder if they are hung up on paying money to Julie Andrews and Diick van Dyyke for using their likenesses. Not that it would break the bank or anything but it's not "synergy" like getting totally free money from using cartoon characters.

I wonder what arrangement was made with the actors in Harry Potter and GotG with respect to using their likenesses in attractions. Were theme park royalties built into the original film contracts?

Since it probably wasn't included in the 1960s film contracts for Mary Poppins, perhaps the actors' agents can negotiate for anything they can get and nix the project if they're not happy. As for example Harry Shearer refused to sign up for The Simpsons ride.

The Grand Inquisitor

Or a large ride.

I wonder if they are hung up on paying money to Julie Andrews and Diick van Dyyke for using their likenesses. Not that it would break the bank or anything but it's not "synergy" like getting totally free money from using cartoon characters.

I wonder what arrangement was made with the actors in Harry Potter and GotG with respect to using their likenesses in attractions. Were theme park royalties built into the original film contracts?

Since it probably wasn't included in the 1960s film contracts for Mary Poppins, perhaps the actors' agents can negotiate for anything they can get and nix the project if they're not happy. As for example Harry Shearer refused to sign up for The Simpsons ride.
I think they made it seem like they would base it around Mary Poppins Returns. But honestly I have no idea what Disney is thinking sometimes.

Josh Hendy

I think they made it seem like they would base it around Mary Poppins Returns. But honestly I have no idea what Disney is thinking sometimes.
That would make sense from a beancounting, contractual point of view if royalties were built into the actors' contracts in the do-over. Then again, maybe the old movie is too powerful from the public's point of view and the beancounters would rather just sell Guinness in the UK than build an iconic ride and share the revenues with its indispensable actors.

I mean, can you imagine a dark ride based on the original Poppins without Julie and the Dickster in it?

UNCgolf

Or a large ride.

They already had the rights to their likenesses for the Great Movie Ride.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, of course -- without seeing the actual contract it's impossible to know if those rights existed only for that specific ride (which is likely) or if they could put them in another ride without needing a new contract. Regardless, it at least shows they were both amenable to appearing in a ride.

Josh Hendy

Regardless, it at least shows they were both amenable to appearing in a ride.
I'm sure they're amenable, at the right price. I'm speculating that since the 1980s GMR era, having seen the success of Harry Potter Land and stuff, the actors and their agents are upping their demands significantly. For example demanding a percentage of the gross revenues from Epcot, UK pavilion retail sales, or whatever. To give an extreme example, I believe Spielberg receives 15% of gross revenues from Islands of Adventure in perpetuity. Admission and retail.

So it may be a combination of the actors asking for a lot more than they did for GMR, plus the Disney philosophy being dead against paying royalties for anyone else's IP or likeness. At least since Avatar which I think was a moment of panic.

TrainsOfDisney

And we're hearing from our ears that it's almost definitely going to be postponed. Don't expect it for the 50th.

If the world is back up and running by the 50th maybe just maybe they could do a “incredibles ala studios” type deal in the UK. A pearly band or “one man band” at the gazebo, a meet and greet where they have done them in the past, a themed balloon sales cart, etc. super basic but something.

Prototype82

One could argue that a walk-through experience would be lame, but imagine walking into the house with a live actress making all sorts of crazy practical effects happen... If we can't have a ride, there is a LOT of potential in something like this. I'm hoping this won't get cut, whatever it is. But I can't see Disney spending money on live entertainment nowadays. I loved the Jack the Lamplighter actor sketched into one of the concept art pieces. Imagine the energy the area could have...

Haymarket2008

I don't know.....I think EPCOT deserves a better experience than the one that was coming. If we are to get IP infusion into the UK pavilion, I would want it to be the best version of the project. Ratatouille in France looks to be IP done the best it could be in that instance. Poppins wouldn't be that, it seems. (And I'm not saying we should be getting a Poppins E-ticket, I just think we shouldn't be shortchanged.) Invest the money elsewhere.

The Grand Inquisitor

I don't know.....I think EPCOT deserves a better experience than the one that was coming. If we are to get IP infusion into the UK pavilion, I would want it to be the best version of the project. Ratatouille in France looks to be IP done the best it could be in that instance. Poppins wouldn't be that, it seems. (And I'm not saying we should be getting a Poppins E-ticket, I just think we shouldn't be shortchanged.) Invest the money elsewhere.
I agree. Mary Poppins deserves an E ticket ride not a glorified meet and greet.

UNCgolf

If Poppins is officially cancelled, I wonder what Disney will do to change the Epcot experience, since there’s a segment on it. My guess is they’ll probably just edit it out 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't be surprised if the EPCOT Experience no longer existed whenever the parks reopen. Could be advertising several things that are either no longer happening at all or will be long delayed.

Prototype82

I wouldn't be surprised if the EPCOT Experience no longer existed whenever the parks reopen. Could be advertising several things that are either no longer happening at all or will be long delayed.
I think that's going a bit far, but we could very well see some edits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom