News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

eddie104

DLR fared better than expected with the long overdue announcement of the Marvel E-ticket and lots of detail on Avengers Campus, Runaway Railway and the new Parade.

WDW definitely got the short end of the stick this time. Far more time was spent on Cirque and hotels than anything for MK, DHS or AK (which was almost nothing).
I disagree because we are literally getting a huge park makeover and the Runaway Railway is a clone from DHS but the daytime parade for them is nice considering they don't have one. It seems like people on DL board are not that enthused with the Avengers Campus considering the Spider Man ride seems to be an updated TSMM.

Last edited:

BrianLo

or AK (which was almost nothing).

I kept thinking Joe Rohde was coming in at the end with the big AK surprise!

Makes sense that he is project lead on Lighthouse Point (and seems WAAAAAYYYY better match for him than Marvel), but he probably holds that project precisely because nothing is really coming to AK imminently.

The audience was very bored with the Target segment, just because people cheered for a dog and gift cards (solely).

Edit: Oh and Chapek did mention off hand all four parks are partaking in the 50th, so there was that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DLR fared better than expected with the long overdue announcement of the Marvel E-ticket and lots of detail on Avengers Campus, Runaway Railway and the new Parade.

WDW definitely got the short end of the stick this time. Far more time was spent on Cirque and hotels than anything for MK, DHS or AK (which was almost nothing).
Agreed. The cirque thing was a red flag...it was a stall tactic. To say nothing of that target embarrassment. Inside wdw? Cause the one .7 miles outside the gate ain’t close enough, huh? 🙄
I disagree because we are literally getting huge park makeover and the Runaway Railway is clone from DHS but the daytime parade for them is nice considering they don't have one. It seems like people on DL are not that enthused with the Avengers Campus considering the Spider Man ride seems to be an updated TSMM.
Do you follow what goes on here with your eyes closed?

All of this was known except a cringeworthy vague SSE overlay, an undefined “water thing” and an “undefined” poppins “thing”

What was the juice about prior? New country? Coco? Imagination redo?

Boy...you get credit for optimism...but the fanboy rep isn’t softening right now.

And by the way - and I’ll keep saying this - squat to come for the other 3 parks for at least 2 years and a construction cycle now. That’s a huge deal that I know only a “geezer” Gen X guy like me sees today.

eddie104

Agreed. The cirque thing was a red flag...it was a stall tactic. To say nothing of that target embarrassment. Inside wdw? Cause the one .7 miles outside the gate ain’t close enough, huh? 🙄

Do you follow what goes on here with your eyes closed?

All of this was known except a cringeworthy vague SSE overlay, an undefined “water thing” and an “undefined” poppins “thing”

What was the juice about prior? New country? Coco? Imagination redo?

Boy...you get credit for optimism...but the fanboy rep isn’t softening right now.

And by the way - and I’ll keep saying this - squat to come for the other 3 parks for at least 2 years and a construction cycle now. That’s a huge deal that I know only a “geezer” Gen X guy like me sees today.
I think people had their hopes up way too high considering Disney is already invested/investing billions into the parks everywhere so hoping for bunch of bombs would be setting up yourself for disappointment. Especially based on what insiders had been saying on here as far as not to expect much but posters kept starting threads with "rumors".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think people had their hopes up way too high considering Disney is already invested/investing billions into the parks everywhere so hoping for bunch of bombs would be setting up yourself for disappointment. Especially based on what insiders had been saying on here as far as not to expect much but posters kept starting threads with "rumors".
The first part I completely agree with...

...the second is wrong. Check the tape...the insiders only started pulling back in the last week or two. A year ago the Brazil thing was a “done deal” ...six months before that coco was “greenlit”

We got short memories.

No do plans change? Absolutely...which is why having an “inside track” on a rumor that doesn’t happen is essentially like a magic trick. Looks cool, but it isn’t real. Looks silly in the rearview.

Now I like the messengers and believe no malice...some ego...but no malice. It’s the sources who suck and sit on their heads. Don’t blab early if you think you know something but your paycheck doesn’t back it up. The Disney ranks and followers have always been a “fantasyland” type. Cautionary tale.

imperius

An indoor carousel doesn't sound like something Disney would build in my opinion and seems unrealistic with the amount of space they are working with in my opinion. With the supposed huge amount of money they are spending on Epcot a small busbar dark ride shouldn't be too hard to add.
Disney built alien swirling saucers, why is an indoor carousel a weird thing?

doctornick

The other site is just reading from here AGAIN! I may have been the first one mentioning SCREENZ involved in the carousel months ago and was recently corroborated by others. Last I heard its still a spinner where the SCREENZ will transport you through different scenes...different but no dark ride

Let me start by saying that I'd be perfectly fine with a souped up carousel as I think that would fit Poppins well and be a good compliment to existing stuff at Epcot/World Showcase. Not everything can or should be an E-ticket.

That said, the carousel concept seems to make more sense to me if it were outdoors where it can be seen and add kinetics (even if part of it is inside). That is part of the benefit for flat rides in a theme park. Seems odd/silly to me to enter into a building to go on it and have it hidden from non-riders.

I'd certainly like to think that this presentation and the lack of detail might mean that a dark ride is being considered. It would certainly be possible and there's nothing wrong with a Fantasyland style busbar ride for Mary. That's pretty much at this point my highest hope for what we might get.

I actually like Enchanted Tales, but think something similar would be a poor fit here. Epcot needs rides and more impressive attractions; there are plenty of M&Gs in World Showcase already.

Whatever the "attraction" turns out to be, it seems as though it will be a combination of both films. In the presentation, as vague as it is, we see them showing designs that lend more toward the sequel. The words spoken were chosen very carefully as not to lean toward either film too specifically, although when he quotes Mary Poppins herself, he quotes the new song "Can You Imagine That?" I know it's early to know anything for sure, but I would guess they won't use any specific likenesses of either Julie or Emily in the merchandise or otherwise. I would have preferred something based more toward the classic original masterpiece, but I know that's not likely to happen.

Magenta Panther

So far as I last heard no “ride” as in dark ride. Hope I’m wrong.

So do I. A Poppins ride that's as great a dark ride as the PPF ride in Shanghai, or even the Frozen ride in Epcot's Norway, would be outstanding. Look how the crowd at D23 went nuts when D van D showed up. Given its status in the Disney vault, surely Poppins deserves at least as good a ride as PPF or Frozen?

Magenta Panther

Whatever the "attraction" turns out to be, it seems as though it will be a combination of both films. In the presentation, as vague as it is, we see them showing designs that lend more toward the sequel. The words spoken were chosen very carefully as not to lean toward either film too specifically, although when he quotes Mary Poppins herself, he quotes the new song "Can You Imagine That?" I know it's early to know anything for sure, but I would guess they won't use any specific likenesses of either Julie or Emily in the merchandise or otherwise. I would have preferred something based more toward the classic original masterpiece, but I know that's not likely to happen.

It OUGHT to happen, since the original Poppins film was much more successful in both execution and box office. Keep Bert and lose Jack!

It OUGHT to happen, since the original Poppins film was much more successful in both execution and box office. Keep Bert and lose Jack!

Yes, way more successful. The popularity continues and as a great example, the blu-ray and DVD of the original continues to make the best seller lists on Amazon and currently ranks much higher than 'MP Returns' discs on the overall weekly sales list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom