News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

The_Jobu

Hmmm, well known Disney properties related to the UK....

-Fun and Fancy Free (Mickey and the Beanstalk)
-The Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad)
-Alice in Wonderland*
-Peter Pan*
-101 Dalmatians
-Sword in the Stone
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Winnie the Pooh*
-The Great Muppet Caper
-The Great Mouse Detective
-Chronicles of Narnia
-Brave

*This property is already the main property in an existing attraction in a WDW park.

Something related to the British Invasion of music in the 60's would be a neat non-IP concept. A Yellow Submarine remake was considered by Disney several years ago. That would make for a pretty colorful and culturally relevant attraction.

Don't forget Pochahontas!

What, too soon?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hmmm, well known Disney properties related to the UK....

-Fun and Fancy Free (Mickey and the Beanstalk)
-The Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad)
-Alice in Wonderland*
-Peter Pan*
-101 Dalmatians
-Sword in the Stone
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Winnie the Pooh*
-The Great Muppet Caper
-The Great Mouse Detective
-Chronicles of Narnia
-Brave

*This property is already the main property in an existing attraction in a WDW park.

Something related to the British Invasion of music in the 60's would be a neat non-IP concept. A Yellow Submarine remake was considered by Disney several years ago. That would make for a pretty colorful and culturally relevant attraction.

No love for Darby McGill and the Little People?

csmat99

UK has a ride on the table. As Martin said, theme is TBD. Still nowhere near the stage of development of France though.
Has to be Doctor Who. Who wouldn't want Doctor Who ride?!

2fa1199bd94f4e1ce77f9808aaaf52175f69b3cf267f992b8de9572219ac3ea3.jpg

Robbiem

The BBC have done a deal with paramount for the use of dr who in their planned park near London so the rights may not be available http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...o-exploit-Doctor-Who-and-Top-Gear-brands.html

As much as I'd love to see a King Arthur or Robin Hood attraction I don't think it would fit in the design of the UK pavilion which is more contemporary than medieval. Alice, Poppins, Christmas carol, basil or Dalmations she would be a better fit.

What I'd really like to see though would be a literature dark ride where you journey through classic British stories, this could fit classic Epcot culture edutainment (showing how UK authors have provided the basis for lots of Disney films etc) as well as providing IP tie ins for the modern crowd. It would also be a good way to bring Robin Hood or Arthur to the pavilion as you would be travelling into the storybook rather than shoehorning a different period into the current buildings

AndyS2992

The BBC have done a deal with paramount for the use of dr who in their planned park near London so the rights may not be available http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...o-exploit-Doctor-Who-and-Top-Gear-brands.html
Paramount London is never going to happen. Paramount Korea was supposed to open in 2011 however it didn't happen, construction never started. Paramount Spain was supposed to open last year, again construction never started, the website is down so that's dead too and London will suffer the exact same fate leaving Disney to scoop the IP should they want it.

wdwgreek

Given the space constants I think people are getting a bit carried away, I'm imaging this to be a flat ride not a spinner, but some other sort of flat ride dressed up a bit. I can't see a dark ride ala Mexico or Old fantasyland here. Let's not get carried away in a half of acre of property what would be realistic in the space for a fast pass time killer.

CrescentLake

This is exciting news. World Showcase needs some love, and a ride in the UK, (whatever kind it might be) France, and the possibility of 1-2 more pavilions will really help spread crowds out and away from Soarin, Frozen, and TT.

tl77

Our "famous insiders" have confirmed that ideas have been tossed around for the UK pavilion, but nothing has been finalized.
They've been tossing around ride ideas for the UK pavilion since the late 1970's though, but if you find some blueprints for some thing let us know, because then there's a slightly better chance of some thing actually happening

tl77

Tony Baxter's fantastic ride concept related to Mary Poppins sure would be a great addition to the UK Pavilion at Epcot.

Tony's 'Jolly Holiday' concept, as told ( and shown ) by the man himself.

Exactly the type of unique , engaging, and timeless Attraction that could enhance the Guest experience.

:)

-

This ride system with the vehicles linking up to a turn table in the beginning, then splitting off from that, is how the original Journey into Imagination began

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They've been tossing around ride ideas for the UK pavilion since the late 1970's though, but if you find some blueprints for some thing let us know, because then there's a slightly better chance of some thing actually happening
They've been tossing around ride ideas for all of Showcase since the late 1970's.

Right now I know of 6 new builds proposed. I'd expect to see 2 of them.

Last edited:

MrHappy

They've been tossing around ride ideas for all of Showcase since the late 1970's.

Right now I know of 6 new builds proposed. I'd expect to see 2 of them.
Interesting, so does the budget allow for 2 but they're vetting 6 and choosing the 2? Or would it be possible to get more than 2 (in short order from one another)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting, so does the budget allow for 2 but they're vetting 6 and choosing the 2? Or would it be possible to get more than 2 (in short order from one another)?
Two pairs are competing for the same spaces. These are down to cost. A fifth is doubtful (and again down to cost) and I'd be gobsmacked to see the 6th.

And then there's overlays too...

BrianLo

Two pairs are competing for the same spaces. These are down to cost. A fifth is doubtful (and again down to cost) and I'd be gobsmacked to see the 6th.

And then there's overlays too...

For my own clarity, the pairs are the flanking pavilions to the gateway? The one being France... which is well documented. Is the other likely pair a different pavilion, or the UK?

In terms of further calculation... a new pavilion +/- a ride is not what you are considering in that 6, only for existing pavilions right?

Mexico of course being the only overlay option.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For my own clarity, the pairs are the flanking pavilions to the gateway? The one being France... which is well documented. Is the other likely pair a different pavilion, or the UK?

In terms of further calculation... a new pavilion +/- a ride is not what you are considering in that 6, only for existing pavilions right?

Mexico of course being the only overlay option.
France and U.K.
Existing and new
No. But I'll leave it at that.

Tavernacle12

France and U.K.
Existing and new
No. But I'll leave it at that.

So presumably it's Beast V Rat (with Rat in the lead) and something like Mary Poppins V Alice in U.K.
I think it was said (possibly by you?) that Japan's was already dead, so maybe the far less likely options are going elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom