News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Magenta Panther

Well, big surprise, Chapek was going to cheap-*ss the Mary Poppins "attraction". That just demonstrates yet again the contempt the suits at "Disney" have for Walt's crown jewel and for the park guest. This is the kind of "just-put-a-strobe-light-on-the-broken-yeti" mentality that has earned "Disney" its once-devoted Disney fans' rightful scorn.

As I've mentioned, the original Mary Poppins film deserves an entire LAND. So much potential to be authentic Disney and truly magical, immersive and enjoyable. But hah! Be happy with yet another spinner, you peasants. Pathetic.

esskay

Japan was actually built with an attraction building. It house something that was to work like a reverse carousel of progress with guest sitting in the middle and rotating to views around them.

My understanding is it's currently some form of storage.
I imagine after all this time its valuable storage space that would need relocating to a new building somewhere else so doubt its likely to ever see any use sadly.

Grace61

An updated Peter Pan type ride, through Cherry tree lane (Mary's )arrival, Uncle Albert's ceiling, then the animated park scene (Outings with Mary), then finishing up among the kites ,(Let's go fly a kite).

Could also update those scence to fit the sequel. Just do balloons and nowhere to go but up and the upside down scene.

Short on space, make it a 2 story building.

More expensive than a spinner? Sure. But would be dun for everyone.

ppete1975

I had a post about that a year or more ago. I would prefer a dark ride but if there isn't much space it doesn't even have to be in a carousel. As another commented, you could be single file with projection mapping on either side of you. You go up and down with the images moving past.
Yeah I had that exact idea years ago on here (probably others have as well) a dark internal carousel with a rotating exterior with scenes or screens.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Honestly this concept looks amazing and Epcot could really use another C ticket family ride.

Everything up to the ride type was great Imagineering. The concept fell apart when the elaborate queue and setup led to teacups. For what it's worth, I'm not really knocking the teacup attraction itself (even though Tea Party personally induces serious nausea) I just think it's the wrong ride type for the concept. Had they gone with a different spinner type I'd be all the more forgiving. Take for instance the classic Musik Express/Himalayas carnival attraction. That ride type could simulate the movement of a slow galloping Carousel and a frenetic spinning, dizzying saucer ride. Combining that with the same projection tech that was to be used here, and you could have the best of both rides and a premise that could explore both the classic Poppins go round and the tea cup spinning storylines. It would have been the better ride type, IMO. Another option could have used a Vekoma's Mad House to recreate Topsy-Turvey's upside down room or a sequence similar to Poppin's visit with Uncle Albert.

Practically ANYTHING would have be better than a rehash of Tea Cups. The IP is most deserving of a dark ride. Anything else is always going to be less than.

Last edited:

jeanericuser001

Now that this is gone, we can focus on another British property that currently doesn't have any theme park presence that Disney is now throwing money at:

View attachment 705441
A MIB style attraction with cybermen and dalec invasion would make for an awesome attraction. Too bad disney would never jump at it. Universal would if they could but no one seems to be ready to put down a serious interest in it.

Jambo Dad

Not my choice for that pavilion, but I could live with it if it was part of a larger strategy over the next decade to get world showcase where it needs to be:
1. Add Brazil
2. Get Alps ride in Germany
3. Get bullet train in Japan.
4. Re theme Mexico to Coco
4. Have plan to do something in Morocco, Canada, and Italy queued up for the next decade after that.

BubbaisSleep

I agree with everyone’s opinions on this ride. I will say this concept kind of fit my vision of what they would do if they went cheap. There’s a spinner at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk that’s indoors and utilizes music & lasers as the ride starts. I’d imagine Marry Poppins would be the same but with projection mapping.

While cool, this should have been a complementary ride to a bigger attraction. I also thought it would be a Merry Go Round but I guess teacups have no obstructions when viewing the walls.

Surferboy567

Is it actually cancelled? The last we heard on this says no.

EPCOT's Mary Poppins attraction lives according to Disney CEO Bob Chapek​

I hope a Mary Poppins addition happens. It is perfect for the UK.

EDIT: Teacups or no Teacups, something is better than nothing. A dark ride would be better though. Queue/Preshow looked fun in the art.

JohnD

This was it????????!!!!! If so, then I'm glad it got cancelled. We instead need an attraction where we are on merry-go-round horses and go into the cartoon / art world.
Looks to be the consensus here. But it seems the Imagineers lost all sense of imagination on this one.

DavidDL

I mean, they'd certainly be the most elaborately themed teacup attraction in a Disney park but they'd be teacups all the same.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with a ride system that could combine Mater's Junkyard Jamboree/Alien Swirling Saucers with the horses on the carousel (I say without any sort of engineering background). I think that'd create a solidly themed C-ticket type of experience and be a ride system unique enough for families to want to experience. It'd sell the illusion of the horses moving about the space more "freely".

Part of the issue here too is the way this was announced/presented by Disney. When you don't give any sort of details and just say an "attraction" is coming, it leads to all sorts of speculation. That, combined with time, leads to folks expecting whatever type of attraction they've started to "Armchair Imagineer" to be what is going into said space. Even as a highly themed teacup-style attraction, this idea would have likely not have had as much blowback if art similar to this had been shared immediately after announcing it.

Tha Realest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom