News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

GimpYancIent

Yes. But. That was a Chapek statement. I feel like any of those decisions not well underway are being aggressively reevaluated.
If there is any B.C. connotation attached with any project not yet underway that project will be allowed to fade away. B.I. wants to ensure there is at the very least an appearance of TWDC taking a fresh path.

Disney Analyst

UNCgolf

Could you give me a few examples of a ride that is inspiring and just a C?

Inspiring may be a strange word choice, but there are definitely C tickets that are as good or better than some higher ticket level attractions -- Na'vi River Journey and Peter Pan's Flight come to mind among existing attractions (I guess it's possible NRJ would have been classified as a D). Is Living with the Land a C ticket? Maybe more likely to have been a D too with the overall length.

That said, C has always been a weird category. The original ticket books grouped Dumbo, the Mad Tea Cups, Snow White, Peter Pan, and Mr. Toad together as C tickets. It feels like the latter three should be a level higher than the former two.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Imagine:
Open the Disney app at 7am to spend $10 on a Lightning Lane thing
Rush to park at open
Wait in line for like a half hour
Go through one preshow
Get excited
Go through a second preshow
Start thinking it's going to be on the same level as most recent attractions
Doors open
It's a teacups spinner you just spent money on and lost 2 hours of your morning rushing to get to
Magical
If they've opened their app to pay for a $10 thing, they'd surely be aware the Poppins is a type of spinner. And spinners have low throughput capacity since they have to load, run, unload, and repeat.

Surely they'd know how long of a wait it is to get on Dumbo, or Astro Orbiter, or Tea Cups, or Carpets, or the Carousel.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Well if this is leaked, I can't imagine it is the same concept anymore? One can hope.
It wasn't 'leaked.' Someone who did the design work for it, and who no longer works for Disney, had it on their personal webpage portfolio.

Like Baxter's original plans for a traveling carousel Poppins horse, this tea cup design may never have gotten any actual approval.

Remember, it was 'leaked' that a Tales with Poppins was also on the table at one point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I like the idea of going through the Banks' house to get to the animated world, but after all that buildup, a spinner ride would be kind of disappointing to those unsure of what was inside.

Keep the exterior, queue and exit, but have something else for the actual ride.
What would you have like to have seen if not tea cups? Mind you, given the space, it'd still be a C-Ticket 'flat' ride.

UNCgolf

What would you have like to have seen if not tea cups? Mind you, given the space, it'd still be a C-Ticket 'flat' ride.

I think there was enough room there to build a C-ticket dark ride -- it actually looks like they might be able to fit the D ticket Little Mermaid ride on that footprint with a bit of backstage reworking (not that anyone should want a repeat of that).

I also think a carousel (which was also rumored at some point) would make more sense for Mary Poppins if they were going to do a flat spinner.

In an ideal world they'd build an E ticket (Mary Poppins deserves an E) by eliminating the "temporary" World Showplace building, but that was never on the table.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just do balloons and nowhere to go but up and the upside down scene.

1679510290018.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This was it????????!!!!! If so, then I'm glad it got cancelled. We instead need an attraction where we are on merry-go-round horses and go into the cartoon / art world.

And fits the story better I mean theres a freaking carousel as part of the story...

although i think it would be amazing to start as a carousel and then the horses with poles unlock and take you through a dark ride kind of like the movie.

Cheapskates' wanted to put a teacup ride in the U.K. They're cheaper than my grandpa. hahaha

And we're back to...

Disney fans: The parks need more C Ticket rides.

Also Disney fans: OMG, it's just a C Ticket ride!!!

FettFan

I don't hate this idea...in fact I think it is rather charming and sweet...if it is the #2 of 2 attractions added to the UK Pavilion... This on one side and a lovely fresh version of the Alice dark ride and maze on the other.... adding a C and D ride and making the UK Pavilion live up to it's potential....
Next up, Coco in Mexico, an attraction in the Germany pavilion, A promise to add an attraction to all other country pavilions every two years until they all have something, and an additional new Country/ Region Pavilion....then EPCOT will start being the park it was meant to be...

Germany has a story that could make for an interesting dark ride.

780x463-080916_dragons-in-disney-parks_3.jpg

St. George and the Dragon. They could even reuse some of the old melted armor pieces that were removed from animal kingdom’s Beastly Kingdom teaser.

knight6-jpeg.28299

Bocabear

I love that idea! I also thought using LGB (toy train maker from Germany) as a sponsor and doing a powered family coaster train ride through the German countryside with a peek-a-boo outdoor section... Would give the pavilion a lovely kinetic element outside and be a must-do attraction and dark ride...

aladdin2007

I think there was enough room there to build a C-ticket dark ride -- it actually looks like they might be able to fit the D ticket Little Mermaid ride on that footprint with a bit of backstage reworking (not that anyone should want a repeat of that).

I also think a carousel (which was also rumored at some point) would make more sense for Mary Poppins if they were going to do a flat spinner.

In an ideal world they'd build an E ticket (Mary Poppins deserves an E) by eliminating the "temporary" World Showplace building, but that was never on the table.
there is room for a dark ride, however I feel like we will never see a traditional bus bar fantasyland style dark ride built again. I would love it more than anything, its so unfortunate that they have moved away from all that. Everything has to be digital, trackless, or coaster now.

Disney Analyst

If it can't be a dark ride (even Fantasyland scale would be nice), I'd go for carousel horses, trackless, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadster style.

I mean, you could even have it setup to look like a carousel when you walk in, then have it all split apart into the trackless style of Luigi's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom