News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Sadly I’m not getting my hopes up for something that moves through a building on a rail or track anymore.

Honest question... it seemed that they made it clear that you would enter the "attraction" by going through the front door of the Banks' house... would they really have such an elaborate entrance way to just lead you out the back to an outdoor flat ride? If it is just a flat ride, wouldn't they use such an elaborate entrance way to set up (at least) an indoor flat? I get if you don't have an answer... these are really more hypothetical questions anyways... since construction hasn't started (heck, demo hasn't even started), I'm sure it's possible that even Disney doesn't know 100% what this is going to be...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Honest question... it seemed that they made it clear that you would enter the "attraction" by going through the front door of the Banks' house... would they really have such an elaborate entrance way to just lead you out the back to an outdoor flat ride? If it is just a flat ride, wouldn't they use such an elaborate entrance way to set up (at least) an indoor flat? I get if you don't have an answer... these are really more hypothetical questions anyways... since construction hasn't started (heck, demo hasn't even started), I'm sure it's possible that even Disney doesn't know 100% what this is going to be...

The ride might be indoors if they're going to utilize screens to enhance the carousel.

Or, the ride might be just a place to have a queue with fun interactive stuff, like for Peter Pan.

DisneyDreamerxyz

I was looking at Google Earth 3D images of this area because I wasn't super familiar with the layout and found the images really interesting and helpful so I thought I'd post them here. I'm assuming the tree area/garden/stage is the limit of where construction will be, I would be pretty shocked if they tore out World ShowPlace or any surrounding structures.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's plenty of space for a dark ride without removing anything.

I feel like we go over this every other page lol

For a dark spinner/flat/'tales', yes, there is plenty of room.

For a dark 'ride,' they'd have to take out some of the back lot (which belongs to the UK pavilion to begin with) short of removing Showplace.

And yes, we keep going through this again and again as people refuse to read a thread before posting in it.

You rang?...
The area within the current UK border that comprises the garden, maze, and surrounding tree-berm is half an acre, shown in the white box.

The area behind the UK comprises the roadway turnaround (which @marni1971 said was going to be 'rationalised') and storage units abutting the IG Gondola Station is 1.1 acres, shown in the pink box.

So, you would have at most 1.6 acres to work with.

Trying to figure out the size of the attractions you asked for is difficult because they're housed in a large building. But I believe Mr. Toad is .3 acres and the entire building for Toad, Pan, and Alice is .6 acres. In the MK, Pan is .3 acres and IaSW is 1.5 acres.

View attachment 269153

If all they're going for is a simple spinner, then they don't even need to touch anything currently backstage...

View attachment 402764

Height exaggerated so as to be seen through the trees.

That circle has a radius of 60 ft. Prince Charming's Carousel has a 45 ft. radius.

DanielBB8

Hmmm, since one of the alleged problems with Galaxy's Edge is that it's based on Disney's Star Wars and not on Lucas'...wouldn't it make sense that the Poppins ride be based on the original film and not on the Iger version?

Too much to be hoped for, probably...
Absolutely and the original Mary Poppins had better songs and dance sequences. If they wanted to integrate the two, it can be done by integrating the dance sequences to have both the chimney sweepers and lamp post dancing in an outdoor plaza show. I would love them to do a dark ride where you ride on a carousel to start and then each horse breaks from the carousel to the dark ride portion. It revives the original Imagination turntable in an updated ride approach.

Yep, too much to expect from today's Disney.

Excited for this, hoping it's some kind of indoor ride, even a souped up spinner.

Also, kind of off topic story but figured it best fit here. Has to do with Dick Van at D23.

During the convention we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (first time there) and at night later after the parks panel a friend of ours went down to the bar outside by the pool and chatted with this bigger guy who was by himself drinking.

Turns out he was a bodyguard/assistant to Mr. Van and talked about how much he was affected by the reception and the standing ovation he got at the Parks panel, and how he cried backstage after claiming he didn't think he would elicit that type of reaction. Some family of his was also there I believe and were really emotional.

Thought that story was heartwarming. Apparently he was at that quick service/bar earlier but at that point it was around 10 pm, so he had gone back to his room at the hotel for bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom