News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

mikejs78

Premium Member
We get it. You hated it. You want it to be a flop (it wasn't). yada yada

He can't hate it because he hasn't seen it. He just hates the idea of it. 🙄
We went to Canobie Lake Park in NH this past weekend, and seeing this I CRACKED UP! I just couldn't help myself!

View attachment 403142

Yup...it's a coming soon banner for a double-decker carousel!

I haven't been to Canobie in years. My kids have been more the Story Land age until very recently, and we've done Disney the last two years so haven't done any local parks. How is it these days? Any better or worse than it was about 10-15 years ago (if you went back then)?

Homer fan

Mary Poppins Returns made buckets on home video? Do you have the numbers? I know it did fine upon its release the first few weeks, but when I look at the current Amazon's best sellers lists I see that Mary Poppins Returns has fallen way down in rank, while the classic original film remains in the top 100 on overall sales list and #2 of all musicals. To me this speaks to the overall popularity of the original compared to the sequel.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank for all Movies & TV for the day of 8/30/19:
DVD:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #87
Mary Poppins Returns - #341
BLU-RAY:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #789
Mary Poppins Returns - #1,104
People still by DVD/Blue Ray? 🤷‍♂️

ImperfectPixie

He can't hate it because he hasn't seen it. He just hates the idea of it. 🙄

I haven't been to Canobie in years. My kids have been more the Story Land age until very recently, and we've done Disney the last two years so haven't done any local parks. How is it these days? Any better or worse than it was about 10-15 years ago (if you went back then)?
We went last year for the first time in almost 25 years - it was super fun! More pay-to-play carnival-style games than I would like, but it's a good time for all. The new water park area is tricky if you have kids who don't understand how important checking in with parents is (like our 8-year-old) because it's sort of split into two sections, so if you can, get a table in the central bar area to set up camp (bar + table + shade + known meeting area = happy parents!) 48" is the limit on the kiddie rides, and our 8-year-old was too big for them and he's not into thrill rides yet, so he didn't do a ton of rides, but we still spent 3 days at the park (with a few hours of two different days spent in the water park area). We like that even when it's busy, we're still comfortable putting our boys in line for a ride so hubby and I can sit in the shade and relax for a few. The food isn't horrible, but isn't great, either (though they do a surprisingly decent job with fried clams). They do fireworks on Saturday night, had characters (a girl mouse, a teddy bear, and a bird) out dancing to music on Monday morning. There's the arcade, that now has a VR maze, there's puzzle rooms - updated this year. I would say the biggest difference between now and years ago is that they have a better mix of rides for varying ages (our 8-year-old is just in that weird spot where he's too big for the little kid rides but the thrill rides have a little too much thrill), plus the new water parks - which my boys would live in if they could. We've made a long-weekend out of getting a hotel room and visiting Canobie as an end-of-summer event this year (3 days) and last year (2 days)...2 days seems to be the sweet spot for us, so I'm thinking next year we'll do 2 days at Canobie and a third someplace else. It has gotten expensive...we dropped in the neighborhood of $1000 or so for 3 days/2 nights ($181 was hotel, admission is $39 for 48" and up), but our goal is more family-together-fun-time than rides, so we consider it well worth it.

Oh...the one complaint we had was that showing up at park open at 10am is disappointing - the park doesn't really gear up until 11am, so finding even a pretzel before then was impossible.

It definitely isn't Disney, but it's fun, and it's nice to see them keeping up with adding new things and replacing things that need replacing, and I can't stress enough what a difference all the shade and benches make. Hubby and I keep saying that if Disney had the shade, benches and smoking areas of Canobie, that it would be the best of both worlds.

ImperfectPixie

We’re also at the mercy of if they even stick around. If a company goes under what happens to the content?
That's exactly why I set my Ultraviolet, Vudu, and Movies Anywhere accounts to sync. Ultraviolet is now gone, but I have my complete libraries on Vudu and Movies Anywhere, and now Prime as well (since they have now populated our owned media to the "watch" list). The way I see it, the more copies I have of our entire library, the safer we are in regards to having access going forward. We only buy digital only copies of old movies that are difficult to find on physical media...other than that, it's worth it to pay a few dollars more to get both physical and digital media as a combo-pack.

Captain Barbossa

I do. Like some have already said, they're nice to have when the internet is down and there are plenty of times when I want to watch something that's not on Netflix, Hulu, or Prime. Some people also like to collect them. For example, I have 3 copies of Dead Man's Chest and 2 copies of At World's End, but they're all different editions/releases. All in all, I have roughly 150 or so dvds & blue rays combined. (mostly Disney) I also have about 100 vhs tapes. (remember those? also mostly Disney)

ImperfectPixie

I do. Like some have already said, they're nice to have when the internet is down and there are plenty of times when I want to watch something that's not on Netflix, Hulu, or Prime. Some people also like to collect them. For example, I have 3 copies of Dead Man's Chest and 2 copies of At World's End, but they're all different editions/releases. All in all, I have roughly 150 or so dvds & blue rays combined. (mostly Disney) I also have about 100 vhs tapes. (remember those? also mostly Disney)
We actually donated all our VHSs that we'd upgraded to DVD/Blu Ray to the hospital in town...they have a kids' area in the waiting room with a VHS. As we continue to upgrade our library, we continue to donate to them.

easyrowrdw

In addition to the permanence of the product, you also typically get superior picture quality compared to streaming (it's catching up). That's to say nothing of special features. I'm also a fan of the presentation of the product. Many of my old DVDs look great (e.g. Fight Club, Memento, The Princess Bride). This has largely gone away with blu-ray (and their generally awful packaging), but you still get some nice ones (Social Network, Seven, the entirety of The Criterion Collection).

wannabeBelle

yes. especially given that certain media companies are eating up others it’s hard to know when a classic title may go out of print and not be available for streaming
Or if you change cable service providers. If you "buy" the movie with company A what happens when you change to company B? No thanks, Ill purchase the DVD to have in my possession. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom