News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

RobbinsDad

That attraction had already been operating in the park for nearly two decades. I think if they were interested in cloning it would have happened years ago.
I get that but it's not at WDW (not technically). If it's a spinner, it makes sense for them to do something a little different with it.

Movielover

Hey, according to Hong Kong Disneyland, Guest Services was an opening-day attraction there.

What? You don't hang out in the corner of GS listening to all the self entitled brats screaming at the poor front line CM's for something completely out of their control? It's one of my favorite attractions!

"Great Moments With Dumb-&sses"
Presented by Coca-Cola
;)

Lensman

I am simply attempting to view things from Disney's perspective. From that perspective, I'm surprised Disney is going with Mary Poppins over something more current. Why would they not look at the remake to see how large of a fan base there is for Mary? Why would they ignore relevant and current data on an IP to make a multi-million dollar decision?
I do think that the current popularity of a particular IP is part of the equation. OTOH, I think the following also need to be taken into account:
1. How much will an attraction help the longevity of a particular franchise? This is the opposite side to the coin where an attraction can help keep interest in a franchise going between releases in movies or tv. Pandora would be the headline example of this.
2. How good of an attraction can be designed off of IP? I think everyone agrees that execution is essential in determining the success of an attraction. Attractions can cost more than a movie does, so it's not a trivial concern.
3. How much longevity is there in a franchise? Is there a franchise at all? A trivial example is that a Titanic themed attraction is a bit of a dead end as far as future movies and television are concerned.

By these measure, I think Mary has a lot going for her.

Movielover

A trivial example is that a Titanic themed attraction is a bit of a dead end as far as future movies and television are concerned.

Too soon man, A lot of people perished on that ship...

giphy.gif

;)

WDW Pro

I've seen one of three proposals for the upcoming Mary Poppins carousel attraction at the UK pavillion. I was led to believe that I was looking at the leading candidate, and that the other candidates were similar. This was several months ago, and now that enough time has passed, I'll share a little of what I know:

1) The carousel is a double-decker carousel with the two levels spinning in opposite directions.
2) The southwest side of the carousel is not open and features screens which are animated to appear as if the rider is entering and exiting an animated world. This section of the carousel is interior to a small show building, though the carousel itself does not do any non-traditional movements.
3) The attraction's creatures are designed to resemble the creatures from Mary Poppins, and are distinctly different than the carousel in Magic Kingdom.
4) Widening of the path to Lords and Ladies will occur during construction.
5) A spiraling ramp is used to access the top of the carousel, but a themed lift is also available for guests with mobility needs.
6) The lift has a redundancy secondary power system built in so that it can maintain power in the event of an electrical failure to the rest of the attraction.
7) Both levels of the carousel have significant lighting packages built in which are used to maintain thematic consistency in a three song rotation.

trainplane3

I've seen one of three proposals for the upcoming Mary Poppins carousel attraction at the UK pavillion. I was led to believe that I was looking at the leading candidate, and that the other candidates were similar. This was several months ago, and now that enough time has passed, I'll share a little of what I know:

1) The carousel is a double-decker carousel with the two levels spinning in opposite directions.
2) The southwest side of the carousel is not open and features screens which are animated to appear as if the rider is entering and exiting an animated world. This section of the carousel is interior to a small show building, though the carousel itself does not do any non-traditional movements.
3) The attraction's creatures are designed to resemble the creatures from Mary Poppins, and are distinctly different than the carousel in Magic Kingdom.
5) A spiraling ramp is used to access the top of the carousel, but a themed lift is also available for guests with mobility needs.
6) The lift has a redundancy secondary power system built in so that it can maintain power in the event of an electrical failure to the rest of the attraction.
7) Both levels of the carousel have significant lighting packages built in which are used to maintain thematic consistency in a three song rotation.
Now that sounds like a solid C ticket? A very dressed up carousel sounds much better then "another spinner". I still wonder what the other proposals were.

AdventureMP4z

Oooh, cool!!

Timothy_Q

Thanks for the info!

Looking at the carousel from above, what percentage of the circle would you say is "enclosed"?

mikejs78

Premium Member

Granted, I would have preferred the dark ride, but this actually sounds nice, if it turns out to be true. Sounds like a nice low key addition to World Showcase, it thematically fits, and it's more than just a "basic spinner".

jt04

This reads like Armchair Imagineering dressed up as rumor. Time will tell. I have a hunch I will revisit this after D23 for an accuracy check.

Creathir

Any indication on which of the options was chosen?
Going to take a guess based on responses and phraseology, that it’s the Mary Poppins Carousel.

Honestly this sounds like a rock solid addition to the park and I’m really looking forward to it’s release.

Hopefully they will be theming the surrounding facades as a miniature Cherry Tree Lane...

RobbinsDad

Neato. And also something that in theory shouldn't take 3 years to construct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom