• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Purduevian

My long winded point being, if media drives park content, and the media relies increasingly on telling "familiar" stories of known characters, what stories then does the park tell, other than stories driven by characters, stories, worlds, etc., that the public already know and love? Is there room for original, unique storytelling in the parks, that are not tied to existing media content?
Disney media is currently rehashing a lot of old media... but most of it doesn't have a large presence in the park. Aladdin has a spinner and meet and greet, Incredibles have a dance party, Ralph is non-existant, ect. On top of that there is an extreme back log of popular IP that could use a larger park presence such as Jungle book, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Pocahontas, Stitch, Tangled, Moana, and many many more even if it isn't "current" IP. Finally Disney does have original movies still coming out such as Onward and Soul next year. Basically if they choose every ride to have a popular IP (and I get that strategy), they can do it without needing to get repetitive for a long long time.

Going back to Mary Poppins, the idea of this attraction kind of baffles me because
1)It is not a "hot" IP to get people to visit WDW/Epcot (box office numbers show that)
2)It is not going to be something unique you just have to go back to ride again (like Tot or Everest) based on the rumors
So why are they building it?
If they wanted to add a cheap C-ticket on that side of world showcase with an IP, put Big Hero 6 in Japan or move Aladdin into Morocco [I know neither of them fit perfectly, but they fit about as well as Frozen]

On a side note while my fiance was most excited for all the IP rides... her favorite rides ended up being Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. Popular IP might get more people into the park, but I hope it continues to develop original, unique, and fitting E-tickets into the park to keep people coming back.

Surferboy567

Advertisement
Disney media is currently rehashing a lot of old media... but most of it doesn't have a large presence in the park. Aladdin has a spinner and meet and greet, Incredibles have a dance party, Ralph is non-existant, ect. On top of that there is an extreme back log of popular IP that could use a larger park presence such as Jungle book, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Pocahontas, Stitch, Tangled, Moana, and many many more even if it isn't "current" IP. Finally Disney does have original movies still coming out such as Onward and Soul next year. Basically if they choose every ride to have a popular IP (and I get that strategy), they can do it without needing to get repetitive for a long long time.

Going back to Mary Poppins, the idea of this attraction kind of baffles me because
1)It is not a "hot" IP to get people to visit WDW/Epcot (box office numbers show that)
2)It is not going to be something unique you just have to go back to ride again (like Tot or Everest) based on the rumors
If they wanted to add a cheap C-ticket on that side of world showcase with an IP, put Big Hero 6 in Japan or move Aladdin into Morocco [I know neither of them fit perfectly, but they fit about as well as Frozen]

On a side note while my fiance was most excited for all the IP rides... her favorite rides ended up being Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. Popular IP might get more people into the park, but I hope it continues to develop original, unique, and fitting E-tickets into the park to keep people coming back.
For the record, I’d be down with a wider Aladdin presence...and BH6 would be a welcome addition.

Sir_Cliff

My impression was that the idea here was a pretty mild diversion that would add an extra "ride" that would be relatively cheap and give people wandering around World Showcase something to do rather than attracting new visitors. Mary Poppins may not be hot, but it's also a cultural reference almost everyone knows and a franchise Disney is probably keen to keep alive in some way.

Honestly, of all the options you put forward, I'm also glad a Mary Poppins carousel is seeming the most likely as it would be the least intrusive. Another big point in favour of this attraction is that it would both work as theming and a (minor) new attraction as a carousel (assuming it's something along those lines) intuitively fits into a British park. I find it hard to imagine how they could achieve something similar with an attraction of this level themed to Aladdin in Morocco or to BH6 in Japan without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Bocabear

I’m fine with a nice little infil A ticket. Every park other than MK needs 10 A-C ticket attractions.
Says who?
I don't think that a half dozen carnival rides would have any place in EPCOT
YES! they need more attractions...they need to at the very least, build the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there decades ago, but spinner rides and carny rides have no place in that park... and won't necessarily help build attendance...
"I want to spend $100.00 for my entrance ticket to EPCOT because they now have a carousel and a teacup ride" said no one ever.

peter11435

Says who?
I don't think that a half dozen carnival rides would have any place in EPCOT
YES! they need more attractions...they need to at the very least, build the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there decades ago, but spinner rides and carny rides have no place in that park... and won't necessarily help build attendance...
"I want to spend $100.00 for my entrance ticket to EPCOT because they now have a carousel and a teacup ride" said no one ever.
A-C ticket attractions are not limited to spinners carousels and carnival rides. Friendship boats, Omni buses, World showcase films, and even things like cranium command and food rocks would fit into those categories. So yes the park does need more A-C attractions.

Bocabear

A-C ticket attractions are not limited to spinners carousels and carnival rides. Friendship boats, Omni buses, World showcase films, and even things like cranium command and food rocks would fit into those categories. So yes the park does need more A-C attractions.
No...It needs more real attractions...not transportation masquerading as an attraction, meet and greets or carnival rides... Cranium Command and Food Rocks were legitimate attractions in their day and part of a supporting cast in pavilions that already had other attractions...not stand alone shows meant to support the entire pavilion. Next I expect to hear that the vending carts and restrooms are A-C attractions...

peter11435

No...It needs more real attractions...not transportation masquerading as an attraction, meet and greets or carnival rides... Cranium Command and Food Rocks were legitimate attractions in their day and part of a supporting cast in pavilions that already had other attractions...not stand alone shows meant to support the entire pavilion. Next I expect to hear that the vending carts and restrooms are A-C attractions...
It’s needs a mixture of all. Major headliners AND a supporting cast of A-C attractions. The park is currently receiving two major attractions. It needs more of those but it also needs additional and updated minor attractions to be a well rounded experience. The end of your post is just you being ridiculous.

Rob562

Being from Westchester myself, I would hope Disney could do much better than this. Yes it is deceptively faster than it looks.
I find it sad that the horses on Rye's version no longer slide forward and back like originally designed. I believe the one at Cedar Point still does (though as I recall, it's not as fast at the one in Rye)

-Rob

trainplane3

I find it sad that the horses on Rye's version no longer slide forward and back like originally designed. I believe the one at Cedar Point still does (though as I recall, it's not as fast at the one in Rye)

-Rob
Yes, Cedar Points still move but it's not as fast. There was a time when it was really slow but they seem to be pretty close to Rye now. Not as fast, but better then past years.

Bocabear

It’s needs a mixture of all. Major headliners AND a supporting cast of A-C attractions. The park is currently receiving two major attractions. It needs more of those but it also needs additional and updated minor attractions to be a well rounded experience. The end of your post is just you being ridiculous.
I am well known for the ridiculous... But seriously... the park needs everything, and each pavilion needs it's headliner... I think the idea of a carousel as the attraction in the UK pavilion is dreadfully sad... No attraction at all like it has been is worse...
But I don't want to applaud TDO for very least they can do...but applaud them when they meet or exceed expectations...
We agree a mix of things are needed... and three attractions in 30 years is pretty dismal (FEA, Guardianss Of The Galaxy, and Ratatouille) especially since two of those are replacements as opposed to additions.

Top Bottom