News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Cmdr_Crimson

Look if were going to make it as World Fantasyland Showcase and putting a generic Spinny Poppins ride could we at least aknowledge something for halloween over in that area? Bedknobs & Broomsticks doesn't get anything..Heck I'd still love to see a street show featuring the ghostly army with Miss Price...
Enchanted-Army-bedknobs-and-broomsticks-20742893-399-2281.gif

Magenta Panther

Well, doesn't that just figure. Walt's crown-jewel film maybe gets a cheap, dinky carousel, while Bob Iger's acquisitions get their own damn lands. I'm reading here that attendance at WDW is soft. GOOD. Guess your policy about squeezing as much cash from the guests while giving as little as possible in return isn't such a good strategy, eh? I know I've been telling friends of mine that WDW isn't worth the exorbitant costs anymore. Damned if I'll ever stay in a hotel there again. I'm looking forward to Universal's new value resorts. Bet they'll top the WDW value resorts easily because Comcast is willing to give park guests value for their dollar.

Never thought I'd pass over a Disney park for the competition, but with Iger in charge, why the hell not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The soundtrack of Mary Poppins (the original) is just so sweet and wonderful and would lend itself PERFECTLY to being played on a carousel organ (not just Jolly Holiday, but all the other classic Sherman Bros music). I mean, of course I'd love a big, fancy D or E ticket level dark ride, but a traditional carousel (if installed properly) could be a charming little addition to the UK pavilion at EPCOT. With all the other big E ticket attractions either having been added recently or under construction, I have nothing against a carousel (if that is what the decision has been)!

ToTBellHop

Yes, because adult fans of the film don't count. :rolleyes:
To be fair, we are adults that like kid things. "it's a small world" is hardly adult entertainment.

The dark ride concept actually sounded nice. Too bad. It'll end up in a coffee table book, I'm sure. Right around the release of the Merry Mary Poppins Christmas: A Jolly Holiday with Meryl Streep and Friends Direct-to-DisneyDVD.

Magenta Panther

To be fair, we are adults that like kid things. "it's a small world" is hardly adult entertainment.

The dark ride concept actually sounded nice. Too bad. It'll end up in a coffee table book, I'm sure. Right around the release of the Merry Mary Poppins Christmas: A Jolly Holiday with Meryl Streep and Friends Direct-to-DisneyDVD.

Oh, hurl.

Didn't Walt once say something about the dangers of pitching entertainment just at kids?

Just can't WAIT to see Great Britain at Epcot choked with strollers while brats overrun that little nook back there. Joy!

Magenta Panther

Not sure what you mean, but I'm saying it might be a GOOD thing that it's an attraction that isn't a super compelling ride that the adult fans of the film would like.

Why is that a good thing?

Does it make any sense that a lesser film like Ratatouille gets a dark ride while Poppins gets a kiddie carousel? How is Rat more "adult"?

Spash007

I'll preface this with saying I'd prefer a dark ride, and the loss of that quiet area would be awful.

However, I could see a carousel in that space done well. If they theme it so that you have the London streets behind it, and then you enter the cartoon world of Mary Poppins, it could be a fun, yet simple attraction (maybe a C, I'm not great on the ride rankings). I still would prefer the Jolly Holiday, but I think this could fill the void of good, lower level attractions at Epcot.

Magenta Panther

I'll preface this with saying I'd prefer a dark ride, and the loss of that quiet area would be awful.

However, I could see a carousel in that space done well. If they theme it so that you have the London streets behind it, and then you enter the cartoon world of Mary Poppins, it could be a fun, yet simple attraction (maybe a C, I'm not great on the ride rankings). I still would prefer the Jolly Holiday, but I think this could fill the void of good, lower level attractions at Epcot.

You really think TDO would theme that area? You think it'd spend the money? Ha!

Missing20K

Dark ride would have been better but if the carousel goes ahead with some nice theming and landscaping incorporated and isn't just slapped in the middle of a concourse, at least it adds desperately needed capacity.

britain

Why is that a good thing?

Does it make any sense that a lesser film like Ratatouille gets a dark ride while Poppins gets a kiddie carousel? How is Rat more "adult"?

Because there's zero A or B attractions there right now, and a C or D dark ride will attract adults to get in line, making the wait longer for the kids. Adults which would probably just complain that it isn't as good as Peter Pan.

You gotta fill up the menu properly.

Rat is "adult" only insofar that many adults will be interested in riding it. The carousel, less so.

Spash007

You really think TDO would theme that area? You think it'd spend the money? Ha!

Yep, I do. Not as a whole intricately themed area of the park, but I do have enough faith left in Disney that they would do Poppins some justice and not just have it sitting there like the Charming's Carousel. Look at what they've been doing with queues lately - making them more immersive to set the stage for the attraction. Or even look at Pandora - it's so different from the rest of AK, that they have found a way to make the transition work. That area back there already is similar to the Banks' street and park anyway, so they just need to work on the cartoon section of it and the transition to that world.

Phicinfan

Okay I think we all need to take a collective breath.
We have ONE site saying we are getting a spinner, and all @marni1971 did was confirm ONE OPTION was a flat ride. Please note he did not confirm this is the plan. So lets calm down a bit and see what falls next.
The key is if it is a spinner in UK or Coco replacement in Mexico what money gets spent.

I would just be happy if we could find out which is or isn't committed to. THEN I will worry if its a spinner or not.

Magenta Panther

Because there's zero A or B attractions there right now, and a C or D dark ride will attract adults to get in line, making the wait longer for the kids. Adults which would probably just complain that it isn't as good as Peter Pan.

You gotta fill up the menu properly.

Rat is "adult" only insofar that many adults will be interested in riding it. The carousel, less so.

Yes, because it's going to be a dinky CAROUSEL. For the KIDDIES. LAME.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom