Animatronic’s Hand Falls Off During Performance of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That’s common and is not an issue with the attraction it self. This is caused by guests who don’t follow directions and exit mid show.
If it's a common issue, then the fact that it cannot retain guest interest/satisfaction for the period of running time it serves is kind of sad.

Bringing up Bears again, at least people sit through the whole thing. I've seen people constantly walk out of Tiki Room, but at least it's not spinning.

peter11435

If it's a common issue, then the fact that it cannot retain guest interest/satisfaction for the period of running time it serves is kind of sad.

Bringing up Bears again, at least people sit through the whole thing. I've seen people constantly walk out of Tiki Room, but at least it's not spinning.
Weird take.

I’ve seen people walk out of every show on property including bears. The issue isn't that it can’t retain guests interest. The problem is that people view and treat it like a show where it is functionally a ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Weird take.

I’ve seen people walk out of every show on property including bears. The issue isn't that it can’t retain guests interest. The problem is that people view and treat it like a show where it is functionally a ride.
Maybe in some cases, yes. But on the other case, if it's boring enough to make people want to walk out halfway through (because let's face it, the show is the most repetitive thing on property), then that is an issue in and of itself as well.

ImperfectPixie

Maybe in some cases, yes. But on the other case, if it's boring enough to make people want to walk out halfway through (because let's face it, the show is the most repetitive thing on property), then that is an issue in and of itself as well.
I actually agree that it's a ride, and not a lot of people understand that. I also think it speaks volumes about the shortness of attention span and the general shift to more exciting/train-wreck entertainment people have these days.

peter11435

There are many reasons people may leave during a show besides boredom. As I’ve said, people leave during every show from Folk to Fantasmic. It just isn’t an issue at other shows because they do not function as rides.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
dare I say they could use the same theater/building/stage movement... and create an entirely new show (not an update to the Carousel of progress)? animatronics, special effects, lighting, etc.

how about the history and growth of baby yoda? (I'm kidding btw)

Cesar R M

I know the show eats people, but it's past time to renovate it. The animatronics need fixing and the last scene needs updated. Better to renovate now than to wait for it to be beyond repair.
Can't wait for disney to remove the animatronics and replace them all with castle floats! :angelic:

I love CoP but the reason is because I stumbled upon it looking for the most obscure rides at wdw, riding it immediately after riding astro orbiter as an adult man with my adult brother in the same rocket. Needless to say things were getting wild when we met John, and I never want to say goodbye.

peter11435

So why does the show repeat when a guest leaves the show in the middle?
The show repeats all day so the show itself isn’t doing anything it doesn’t always do. The only difference is that you didn’t rotate to the next scene. The theater is a moving vehicle, when a guest exits when they are not supposed to it essentially emergency stops the rotating theater. The theater will not rotate again until cast verify the guest is safely out of the way and the system has been cleared and reset for motion. This generally cannot be accomplished in the time between the guest exiting and the current scene ending. Thus you are stuck rewatching the same scene and motion resumes on the next rollover.

KimAnnFran

because of it's origins and history, I do not want it shut down. They could spend a little time on upkeep tho. I'd hate to see it go. Cool, relaxing place to be.

bpiper

The show repeats all day so the show itself isn’t doing anything it doesn’t always do. The only difference is that you didn’t rotate to the next scene. The theater is a moving vehicle, when a guest exits when they are not supposed to it essentially emergency stops the rotating theater. The theater will not rotate again until cast verify the guest is safely out of the way and the system has been cleared and reset for motion. This generally cannot be accomplished in the time between the guest exiting and the current scene ending. Thus you are stuck rewatching the same scene and motion resumes on the next rollover.
That sounds like a design flaw in the show controller programming. I could see it repeating the same section of that theater's show, like if it was interrupted in the middle of one of the turntables behind the scrims playing, but to reset all the way back to the opening of that theaters show is poor design. I suspect that since the ride hasn't had a refurb in many years, the show controller is probably ancient and might not be capable of handling it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom