Animatronic’s Hand Falls Off During Performance of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress

Josh Hendy

CoP is basically about appliances ... hey look how much our stove has changed since Grandma's day ... funny eh?

Nobody is fascinated by the evolution of appliances any more. In the 50s, maybe still a little bit because people remembered coal stoves and ice boxes from the 30s. At least GE thought they should be impressed.

Disney tried to spark interest with the updated plot about video games and a talking oven but face it ... it's a big flop and nobody cares. It's not a great legacy left to us by Walt, if it's a technological tour de force telling a boring story.

Therefore, CoP has to go. Missed by all but with an eagerly anticipated replacement ...

aladdin2007

CoP is basically about appliances ... hey look how much our stove has changed since Grandma's day ... funny eh?

Nobody is fascinated by the evolution of appliances any more. In the 50s, maybe still a little bit because people remembered coal stoves and ice boxes from the 30s. At least GE thought they should be impressed.

Disney tried to spark interest with the updated plot about video games and a talking oven but face it ... it's a big flop and nobody cares. It's not a great legacy left to us by Walt, if it's a technological tour de force telling a boring story.

Therefore, CoP has to go. Missed by all but with an eagerly anticipated replacement ...

they cant even get their act together or the will to replace stitch, CoP would probably just sit there empty for years too.

Goofyernmost

Well, appliances were in existence in the early 1900's and it was about how much easier it was from the early ones, where it couldn't get much better, his words not mine, to the end of the 1900's. Yes, it was heavily involved with household appliances because it was sponsored by GE, that didn't make it any less important to the progress and ease of life over the years. Other things were mentioned like the Wright Bros. (it will never work) and cars, trolley's and sarsaparilla. It is obvious that you have no appreciation for history or understand that everyone born after 2000 (now 20 years old) think that what we have now has always been that way.

It's out of our complete control anyway, but you are living in a world of rainbows and unicorns if you really think that Disney is going to imagine anything as good as CoP. Just don't hold your breath or you will turn blue and match that wall that all the millennial's get their picture taken in front of, for some unknown reason.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Well, appliances were in existence in the early 1900's and it was about how much easier it life was from the early ones, where it couldn't get much better, his words not mine, to the end of the 1900's. Yes, it was heavily involved with household appliances because it was sponsored by GE, that didn't make it any less important to the progress and ease of life over the years. Other things were mentioned like the Wright Bros. (it will never work) and cars, trolley's and sarsaparilla. It is obvious that you have no appreciation for history or understand that everyone born after 2000 (now 20 years old) think that what we have now has always been that way.

It's out of our complete control anyway, but you are living in a world of rainbows and unicorns if you really think that Disney is going to imagine anything as good as CoP. Just don't hold your breath or you will turn blue and match that wall that all the millennial's get their picture taken in front of, for some unknown reason.
If your key argument to keep it is that we can’t trust WDI to replace it with something better (which is absolutely true) then with that logic everything must be retained - forever.

Goofyernmost

If your key argument to keep it is that we can’t trust WDI to replace it with something better (which is absolutely true) then with that logic everything must be retained - forever.
Simple, somethings are not worth keeping because they sucked from the get go. CoP is not that, it is anything but that and it is the only show on the planet that can show younger people what life was like a century ago in an entertaining humorous, fun way and how much mankind, technologically at least, has advanced in that relatively brief period of time.

This won't make me popular, but what the hell, I'm not all that popular to begin with, however a good example of that is, or I should say, was Mr. Toad. What an off the shelf carnival, painted plywood attraction that was. I know it is still in Disneyland, but that doesn't make it worthwhile. Another would be a complete revamp of Jungle Cruise. When it gets to the point that the audience speaks the script along with the Skipper, it has run it's course as true entertainment and has no redeeming historical or social value. It is only a nostalgia worm. Hell, I'm only borderline when it comes to Small World. Once in awhile I go to it just to recall why it isn't on my favorite list and it only takes the first section of the song and show before I remember vividly why it isn't a regular visit.

That doesn't mean that I would advocate that they be removed. Why? Because the world doesn't revolve around me. Many other people love it and there is no need to get rid of it. I will repeat, if Disney wants something new they have plenty of empty expansion pads to use and what's left of the 42,000 acres surrounding it. And my solution for not being a fan of it, is to walk right by it and go to something that does float my boat, so to speak.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Because when CoP was introduced basically mid-century many of us had already been involved with that latter half of the show. But, even at 35 years old, (my age when I first saw it,1983) the beginning was, not surprising, but more detailed and expressive of the time then even I was conscience about. It made me appreciate what we had at the time and how quickly those sparks of inspiration where flying about over that Century. And yes, it was heavy on the appliance end, but that is where we spent our leisure time. Outside, trees still looked the same, rivers looked the same, mountains looked the same, but our immediate safe havens changed drastically and that needed to be acknowledged.

rct247

The original premense of the show was so the audience could look back at the progress they experienced in their lifetime and just possibly get a glimpse at what's around the corner.

This still has staying power, but it would require a redo.

Scene 1 - 1964 - A nod to the fair and in the middle of the space race.
Scene 2 - 1984 - Technology boom with personal computers arriving on scene
Scene 3 - 2004 - Internet boom, pocket tech is big, but just before smart phones
Scene 4 - 2024 - Smart Home technology and energy efficiency

Update the animatronics and the turntable mechanisms. Either add seatbelts or rework the ride system to allow for exits without repeating shows.

Parker in NYC

This won't make me popular, but what the hell, I'm not all that popular to begin with, however a good example of that is, or I should say, was Mr. Toad. What an off the shelf carnival, painted plywood attraction that was. I know it is still in Disneyland, but that doesn't make it worthwhile.

It's given the care it requires.

Another would be a complete revamp of Jungle Cruise. When it gets to the point that the audience speaks the script along with the Skipper, it has run it's course as true entertainment and has no redeeming historical or social value. It is only a nostalgia worm.
I still hear genuine laughter from first-timers. Also, it's given the care it requires. Well, maybe not - but on a scale of 1 to CoP, it's a healthy 3.

Hell, I'm only borderline when it comes to Small World. Once in awhile I go to it just to recall why it isn't on my favorite list and it only takes the first section of the song and show before I remember vividly why it isn't a regular visit.

It's given the care it requires.

See, I don't know why the wish to update an attraction is so upsetting -- but we'll cross that bridge the twelfth of never since THEY CAN'T TAKE CARE OF IT AS IT IS NOW. And every argument to circumvent this by anyone in this thread is completely laughable. It means you'd rather watch it die for the sake of nostalgia. Yeah, that's one thing Walt Disney would never permit. Even more than his feelings toward museum attractions. Bad show is bad show, and the three attractions you cited above are nowhere within the vicinity of CoP.

Look, Disney is never going to update this thing. So, can't we pray that the revenue from a few special event cupcakes can go to making the great American family sparkle? If not, wait for more parts to fall off, more missed lighting cues, more blown out speakers, and more delays.

EDIT: As for the update, let's say a refreshing. Since my beloved Tiki Birds are exhibit A as to why not. But my argument here isn't about that, it's thinking that Disney would even take that step when it's a bridge too far.... or, rather, a bridge never to be built.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

This isn't the Unpopular Disney World Opinions thread...

Josh Hendy

True or false: CoP has the highest ratio of unpopularity (or say, polarization) compared to upkeep cost of any WDW attraction.

EDIT ... I meant highest combination of unpopularity/polarization and upkeep cost.

If the final scene was truly brought up to date, it would be of a family watching Disney+ with subtitles on while everyone is looking at their phone 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Bocabear

I think they need to go back to WDW's original theme song for the attraction....which was created specifically for the WDW incarnation of the COP. The theme was that no matter what time we are living in, we are living through the best time of our lives... Progress moves forward but celebrate the moment...Which I think resonates well...Update the last scene... Rewrite some of the dialogue...
It is a historical, beautifully made attraction that is really still relevant. What a shame it was built without the Worlds Fair staircase and second floor space to expand it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Everyone does realize that CoP will basically become the "Magic Kingdom Character Spot" if it does close down.

But, to be fair... with CoP in it's current state, a meet n' greet would probably be way less embarrassing. It's time for COP to go. When Country Bear Jamboree's show quality succeeds a different AA show's quality, you know it's time to go out. Hokey & dated only works for the bears. Sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom