Animal Kingdom Rumors?

ThumperDude

Anyone know where Lucky the Dinosaur as been visiting lately? Or if/when he'll be back to AK? I was amazed when I saw him on the Travel Channel WDW special.

Texas84

I heard from a bus driver there will be a 'Longhorn Country' with Texas Longhorns, Javelina that rush the Safari trucks, and grackles.

donaldfan

gee, that must be why there's a Dragon in the middle of the DAK logo, or that there's a unicorn parking lot, or why in practically every piece of art work they had for the park when it was gonna open, they had Beastly kingdom as part of it. yeah, sounds like an afterthought to me.

Or the fire-breathing dragon cave with the suits of armour on stakes at the entrance to Camp Minnie-Mickey? The fire was turned on during CM previews of the park. There was also a large animatronic Iguanadon on the lagoon outside of DinoLand.

Also, I've read an interview from the designer on the Quest for the Unicorn (I think that is what it was called) maze.

So yeah, don't think it was an after-thought . . .

RSoxNo1

I think we just missed the Grizzly Bear ride around a Mountain... has anyone else heard this or is this a completely unsubstantiated rumor?

WDWGuide

I think we just missed the Grizzly Bear ride around a Mountain... has anyone else heard this or is this a completely unsubstantiated rumor?

If you are talking about a clone of the DCA raft ride, that seems unlikely considering Kali River Rapids is already there.

Shaman

I would suspect that the next location Disney will look to develop is the current "Camp Minnie-Mickey" area. There's space over there...and lots of it...I think it would spread the crowds out a lot more if they had an eticket over there...not to mention give people something to do later in the day when some of the other attractions close.

A night time show/parade would be nice, and that's been the rumor for a while now (pre Hill even), but I think they should at least add one more attraction before they run it.

Any chance we'll see night time safaris in the future? That would rock!

I know people would love to see continents...but ocean life isn't represented at AK...if they are not going to build a Sea World type park some time down the road...they should add some...if you need a continent...then....umm....Atlantis? :lookaroun

fizzle75

I know people would love to see continents...but ocean life isn't represented at AK...if they are not going to build a Sea World type park some time down the road...they should add some...if you need a continent...then....umm....Atlantis? :lookaroun

My wife and I were talking about this the other night. In order to completely represent the "Animal Kingdom" Disney imagineering needs to find some way to incorporate more of the "aquatic" life that exists in the "Animal Kindgom". I know we already have The Seas with Nemo and Friends at Epcot but,as much as I love it,that attraction just doesn't live up to it's potential in my opinion. Animal Kingdom would be the ideal place for Disney to dedicate a much larger area for marine life. I realize Disney can't compete with Sea World in that department(without coughing up some major dough) but they could at least try a little harder in my opinion to provide a place where WDW guests can see a decent amount of marine life without going off property to Sea World. I'm not knocking Sea World,far from it, my wife and I love Sea World and hope to go back there soon(I just hate to give up one of my WDW days though:lol: )it just doesn't have the theming and magic that WDW does and I get teary eyed at the thought of how awesome a true "Disney Aquarium" would be if Disney so chose to build one. So I guess they could compete with Sea World in terms of quality and themeing(and trounce them)but not in terms of quantity. I don't foresee Disney ever getting into something like Sea World but I definitely think they should consider building another Land in AK dedicated strictly to marine life.

I personally think Shaman's Atlantis idea would be awesome and a great way to incorporate marine life and a Disney film to create an amazing "land" with amazing animals and amazing attractions. Disney Imagineers could definitely show Sea World how awesome an Atlantis based ride could be. Also, if they were to ever create such a land at AK I think they should move the Nemo ride at Epcot there,it would make much more sense. The Nemo ride at EPCOT seems so out of place there to me anyway.

Anyone know if Imagineering has ever discussed a "marine area" at AK? What are the odds of it happening?

Scar Junior

Anyone know where Lucky the Dinosaur as been visiting lately? Or if/when he'll be back to AK? I was amazed when I saw him on the Travel Channel WDW special.

Lucky has been retired. He will never be in service at WDW again - as far as parks abroad or DL... I do not know, but I doubt it. Better technology has been developed and will be coming. The first incarnation of this is the Muppet mobile characters. Though I hear even better technology is in the works.

Lucky was amazing to see on the Travel Channel, but even more remarkable in person. For the past 9+ months (that I've known his fate) I've though that Lucky should be kept as an AK staple, but those who make the decisions disagree.

Oh well...

DisneyMusician2

The last time I read something on this, the reason for no nite parades or shoows was that it would disturb the sleep of the animals. I am not sure how EMH doesn't, but that was the last rationale I remember being on record.

Shaman

The last time I read something on this, the reason for no nite parades or shoows was that it would disturb the sleep of the animals. I am not sure how EMH doesn't, but that was the last rationale I remember being on record.

Yeah, but I've also heard that it was just another way of saying, "people don't stay long enough to warrant keeping the park open late and paying all those employees the money".

I think the design of the park affords it the ability to close half of it (Africa, parts of Asia and the future continent) at sunset and leave the rest open later (Dinoland and "Camp Minnie Mickey" area). If in fact the animals would be disturbed after dark.

The crowds are sticking around more...that's why I'm sure there's talk about a night time show. Exciting stuff if you ask me...I love AK.

MJMcBride

Lucky has been retired. He will never be in service at WDW again - as far as parks abroad or DL... I do not know, but I doubt it. Better technology has been developed and will be coming. The first incarnation of this is the Muppet mobile characters. Though I hear even better technology is in the works.

Lucky was amazing to see on the Travel Channel, but even more remarkable in person. For the past 9+ months (that I've known his fate) I've though that Lucky should be kept as an AK staple, but those who make the decisions disagree.

Oh well...

why would they retire him? what happened to the rumor he was being redesigned into something else?

DisneyMusician2

Yeah, but I've also heard that it was just another way of saying, "people don't stay long enough to warrant keeping the park open late and paying all those employees the money".

I think the design of the park affords it the ability to close half of it (Africa, parts of Asia and the future continent) at sunset and leave the rest open later (Dinoland and "Camp Minnie Mickey" area). If in fact the animals would be disturbed after dark.

The crowds are sticking around more...that's why I'm sure there's talk about a night time show. Exciting stuff if you ask me...I love AK.

I completely agree! I would love to see it, but I hope it is done well. But I'm sure they won't allow any fireworks...

Lee

Adventurer
The first incarnation of this is the Muppet mobile characters. Though I hear even better technology is in the works.

The Muppets top Lucky, for sure. What makes them cool...they don't have to be sitting in that vehicle. They can be taken out and set pretty much anywhere.

WDWGuide

IIRC, most of the animal night quarters are way back, near the northern end of the park, along Conservation Way and Savannah Circle. It is doubtful that fireworks launched from, say, the Beastly Kingdom area, would bother them any more than the native wildlife around Epcot and Magic Kingdom (and the former Discovery Island) are bothered by those fireworks - the noise level drops off fairly quickly with increasing distance. And if they really wanted to have a fireworks show, they could further reduce the impacts on sensitive animals relatively inexpensively by simply installing noise barriers or otherwise soundproofing their enclosures, or using noise cancellation technologies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom