Animal Kingdom Lodge

BrennaRN

Hello, I'm staying at AKL on Sunday and have not stay there yet. I would love to know the pros and cons of this resort. I love to take pictures, so when would be a good time to see the feeding of the animals etc?

Cubs Brian

Not sure about feeding times, but we saw a lot of animals most of the time. mornings and late afternoon were the most popular.You can also go out back by the Kopje(sp.) they always had plenty of animals there.I liked everything about AKL no cons what so ever. In fact I'll be "back home on Jan 4th:xmas:

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This is a beautiful resort, great theming, and as mentioned before you can see most of the beautiful animals (a lot that you'd see on the K.Safari except for the predators) throughout the day, although mornings seem to be when they're the most active.
The one draw back is that after a long day at the parks getting to the room just seemed like such a haul. Of course we had the fartherest room away which provided a great double savanah view...but like I said what a haul. We rented a car and even the parking lot is a long way away from the main lobby which as far as I know is the only way to get to any of the rooms. I also heard someone else mention that was one of the drawbacks.
Also everyone raves about Boma. We had dinner there, and it wasn't our cup of tea, but we're definitely the odd ones out with that opinion.
The Mara which is the quick service restaraunt was very pleasent and had a lot of delicious choices.
I know Jiko also gets rave reviews but I haven't experienced that one.
Anyway - That's my 2 cents - hope that helps. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Philo

OK here we go:

Pros - It's amazing in almost every way, very well themed, fantastic atmosphere, brilliant views, brilliant service, brilliant food (including the room service breakfasts, yum!).

Cons - Can take a while to get to MK or DTD (although not terrible), only one method of Disney transport (not a problem but I do love the boats and monorail). If you get a room right at the end of the hotel it can be a bit of a walk each day but it's not terrible.

Some people say the rooms are dark but this is clearly intentional to add to the atmosphere and certainly not a problem. I've also heard comments that the pool looks dirty but I'm putting that down to a 'watering hole' effect - defiantly not dirty.

Upvote 0

dhcalva

I love the AKL, I've stayed there the last 4 times I was at WDW. This time I'm staying over at the Poly though, my first time there.

The only real cons to the AKL is that it can be a long walk back to your room depending on where it is. And it's a uphill walk from the bus stop. So it can be a bit of a pain if you're really tired.

On the upside though, the AKL has great rooms, the food is great, and the whole place has a real warm inviting feel to it. And it smells great when you walk in. Especially when food is cooking down at Boma.

There is plenty to do too. There is even night time animal viewing with night vision goggles, though it can be hard to find. Last time I saw it, it was down behind the pool and you had to walk back past the hot tubs to a little dead end for it.

If you're staying on the concierge level, be sure to take advantage of the sunrise safari!

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Just to echo what everyone else has said, AKL is my absolute favorite resort on property. The positives are so numerous that I won't attempt to list them. The only con is the distance from MK, Epcot, and DHS. DAK is right next door, which is nice if you are an DAK lover like me.

Make sure you get a savanna view room! IMO, it is pointless to stay at the lodge without one.

Have fun, I know you will love the place. :wave:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Cons - Can take a while to get to MK or DTD (although not terrible)

By the same standard then - the Cons of staying at an MK resort is the time / distance to get to AK :shrug:

Unless you stay dead centre you're always going to have to travel further to get to somewhere

Upvote 0

Philo

^^^

Can't argue with that logic!

My theory was based on the fact that I am more likely to visit MK more often than AK and hence the total travel time would be increased but like I said, it's hardly an issue for me.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

We love AKL. So much in fact that we bought our DVC membership with AKV as our home resort.

I agree with the above poster about the Savannah view rooms. It's a beautiful resort, with tons to do, see and eat, but if at all possible, get a Savannah view room. It really is what the Lodge is all about!:)

Upvote 0

RussJT

Pros: Great theming/atmosphere/views. Boma is probably my favorite restaurant on property.

Con: Some rooms can be pretty far away and it can seem a bit like a maze getting to them... but I guess you can have that most places.

You should love it. Most people I have known who stayed there once wanted to stay there again.

Upvote 0

jjbuster2

We were there in May '06. First, we did pay for a Savannah View room but upon checking in we had something like a drainage ditch view (with the Savannah visible but far). There was also an odd smell like someone had been smoking in the room and it was poorly covered up with an air freshener that made it worse. I don't like to be a complainer but my hubby had no problem with asking for a different room. The new room was perfect! We were on the large part of the Savannah about 1/3 the way down the hall-2nd floor. We had animal views almost all times of day (we saw feeding in AM and late afternoon) and the new room had a queen bed & a bunk bed (probably a better category than we paid for). This was a 3 night stay at the end of a 12 day trip. My hubby was parked-out by the last day and while me & daughter continued on he enjoyed the balcony view and a drink. The best was one night while there, the daughter was enjoying the on-site Kids Club and we had dinner at Boma with every intention of going out that night (PI was in it's former glory back then). But after dinner we found ourselves relaxing in rocking chairs outside by the fire talking to other guests. That was even more of a treat than going out would have been. Over-all HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. But do watch out at check-in.

Upvote 0

Edisto Pluto

We usually stay at YC or BC so that would be my point of comparison but we have stayed at the AKL once. The rooms are a bit smaller but nice. Two very good restaurants. My favorite gift shop in all of WDW. Good pool. Transportation was OK. The view of the animals was very good. We really enjoyed our visit there.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Another YES vote here for the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Some more positives to consider:

The breakfast buffet at Boma is an awesome way to start the day. The fruit juice they serve will make you come back for more. That breakfast is second to none.

The animals on the savannah - pretty cool to look out the window in the middle of the night and see animals sleeping out there.

There is a big fire pit out back which is probably awesome in the cool December weather. Late September was still too warm for that.

Zebra domes - check them out! :cool:

The bar is not huge, but very warm and inviting and the bartenders there are great.

The CONS:

:lookaroun

Why do there always have to be negatives? Okay, this is the only thing: The hotel is not but maybe 4 floors of regular guest rooms and the top floors are being fitted for DVC, I think. As a result, we saw a lot of construction equipment between our balcony and the savannah and I'm pretty sure it was noisy during the day if you are a late sleeper.

We didn't use elevators much there, so there's a lot of going up and down one flight of stairs. I can't remember the last time I used stairs in a hotel as much as I did there.

Upvote 0

melissw

We stayed this past April. We had a Savannah room, but it didn't have the best view. We took some time walking the grounds and halls of the resort to find the best places where the animals were hanging out. We saw some feeding mid-morning (10-ish?) and at dusk. Whatever room-type you have, there's always a way to make the best of your stay!
Oh and check out Boma - it's fabulous!

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Stayed in a Savanah View last June. Didnt think it was worth the cost. Maybe we just had a bad part of the Savanah, but we saw the same two or three animals the whole week. Other than that, its my second favorite resort with the Wilderness Lodge being the top. Both resorts are heavily themed and really give you the sense of being out in the middle of nowhere. AKL does this better than WL. The AKL gift shop and food courts are very nice and you can get a couple of resort specific food items at the food court at the AKL that I dont think you can get elsewhere (that I can recall).

Wish we had waited and bought into the AKL for DVC instead of SSR.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom