Animal Kingdom Behind the Scenes Lion Tour

skipperg

Original Poster
On Monday November 29 upon exiting the Safari we were approached by a Disney Cast Member if we would like to go on a Behind the Scene's Tour of the Lion's Support Area. They took us by a Disney Van to the facility that is located behind the area on the Safari where the Lions are. The only restriction was that we were not permitted to take any photos.

We were there for about 20 minutes. They showed us where they house, feed and service the lions. They explained that there are 2 sets of lions. 2 each Male and Female. They did tell us all the lions names and ages but I can't remember them. The Lions work in schedules of 5 strait days then off 5 days. The trainer did mention that the 2 male's are easy to distinguish as one has a dark mane and the other a light colered mane. She also said the lion with the Light colored mane has a habit of having BAD Hair Days. Not something I think about when discussing lions.

The trainer also mentioned that most of the animals are trained to respond to sounds that brings them back to the barns for the night and feeding.

I have never heard of Disney doing anything like this in the past.

Really a great experience.

Joe

tigger248

Wow, sounds like a really neat experience! Thanks for sharing.

That's something I'd love to do. I wonder if it's gonna be a new tour. Did they take a lot of people back there with you or just your family?

oliveirach

Having worked at Safaris for the past 14 months. I can say that this is a Magical Moment we provide for the guest. It is done once a day 4 days a week. We have done it for over a year now.
Later,
Chris

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Nice update Skipperg!, thanks for sharing. We often overlook the numerous "extras" that can be had at WDW with a little luck.

Thanks also to Chris for the clarification. Surprising that it has been going on for a year and I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

For dghammon, there are two tours of the park that you can sign up for for an additional fee. Further discussion of them can be found here and at allearsnet.com
:sohappy:

skipperg

Original Poster
Answering the questions

To Answer a few of the questions. It was only my wife and I that they invited and from what the CM told us is that it is a random thing. If I remember what she said it wasn't done at a specific time but randomly when the workers had the time to do it.

Also when walking the Jungle Trek yesterday around 2 PM the Tigers were in the section where there is the fountain. The Tigers were very active and seemed to be wanting out. They kept going up to the large door to the very left.

A CM was standing in the section where the Idol is and the viewing windows. A few guest were asking her why there were no Tigers in the area. She explained something that there are 2 groups of Tigers and that they rotate them. I group out and 1 group in the barns eating, resting or being serviced by the staff. She also mentioned some of the same things they explained about the Lions that the Tigers respond to a sound and that today (11-29) was a special tread day of some sort and that the special sound was probably the reason the Tigers on the early part of the trail were so active.

If any of the CM's that took us on the Lion Tour or provided the info on the trail read the board my Wife and I would really like to thank them for being so nice and informative. We are definately sending a thankyou to the Management when we get back home.

Joe

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
oliveirach said:
Having worked at Safaris for the past 14 months. I can say that this is a Magical Moment we provide for the guest. It is done once a day 4 days a week. We have done it for over a year now.
Later,
Chris
Really? Hmm, I've never gotten to do that. :(

But I know for a fact AK is testing out a lot of new things this year, I just assumed that was one of them. Oh well, shows you that you can't assume anything at Disney. My sincerest apologies. :)

Irrawaddy Erik

FamilyMan said:
Really? Hmm, I've never gotten to do that. :(

But I know for a fact AK is testing out a lot of new things this year, I just assumed that was one of them. Oh well, shows you that you can't assume anything at Disney. My sincerest apologies. :)

We have a few of those Magical Moments at Safaris......

Jambo Chris......Karibuni to magic.... :wave:

WDWFREAK53

Computer Magic said:
I cann't Bear the suspense of what will be posted next.

Others will jump in...Monkey see Monkey do afterall.

I still think this whole story is a croc.

Maybe I should stop being a thread hog.

Irrawaddy Erik

WDWFREAK53 said:
Others will jump in...Monkey see Monkey do afterall.

I still think this whole story is a croc.

Maybe I should stop being a thread hog.

That last post required an (os)stretch of the imagination.

No one can do those things that you Kudu! :brick:

Back on topic: Safaris has quite a few Magical Moments like the Lion Liaison. All of them are very cool.

Jambo Chris...Karabuni WDWMagic :wave:

Computer Magic

Irrawaddy Erik said:
That last post required an (os)stretch of the imagination.

No one can do those things that you Kudu! :brick:

Back on topic: Safaris has quite a few Magical Moments like the Lion Liaison. All of them are very cool.

Jambo Chris...Karabuni WDWMagic :wave:
I'm glad we are back to the tread, I was worried we were starting to bug people.

Is there are any hints you can give us that will give us a edge on a magical moment? My wife's favorite park is AK and attraction is Safari. Maybe PM us you can't state on the site.

Last time we went we took the AK tour. We came within inches of a Griaffe, it leaned over and started chewing on her hair. A great moment.

Irrawaddy Erik

Computer Magic said:
I'm glad we are back to the tread, I was worried we were starting to bug people.

Is there are any hints you can give us that will give us a edge on a magical moment? My wife's favorite park is AK and attraction is Safari. Maybe PM us you can't state on the site.

Unfortunatly it is all random you just have to be at the right place at the right time.
Computer Magic said:
Last time we went we took the AK tour. We came within inches of a Griaffe, it leaned over and started chewing on her hair. A great moment.
LOL it's always fun to watch how ppl react to that....Most people don't realize "hey they are real animals and they will do whatever they please." I've been licked by the Griaffes a few times, Now it's the Ostrich you have to watch out for they like to peck :eek:

WDWFREAK53

Irrawaddy Erik said:
Now it's the Ostrich you have to watch out for they like to peck :eek:

I've heard they have hard peckers too! (Not as bad as woodpeckers though)

Once while driving through the "Safari" at Six Flags Great Adventure...we did the "no-no" thing and rolled the window down...an ostrich came right up and stuck his in the window...we quickly rolled it up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom