Animal Kingdom Behind the Scenes Lion Tour

scottnj1966

On Monday November 29 upon exiting the Safari we were approached by a Disney Cast Member if we would like to go on a Behind the Scene's Tour of the Lion's Support Area. They took us by a Disney Van to the facility that is located behind the area on the Safari where the Lions are. The only restriction was that we were not permitted to take any photos.

We were there for about 20 minutes. They showed us where they house, feed and service the lions. They explained that there are 2 sets of lions. 2 each Male and Female. They did tell us all the lions names and ages but I can't remember them. The Lions work in schedules of 5 strait days then off 5 days. The trainer did mention that the 2 male's are easy to distinguish as one has a dark mane and the other a light colered mane. She also said the lion with the Light colored mane has a habit of having BAD Hair Days. Not something I think about when discussing lions.

The trainer also mentioned that most of the animals are trained to respond to sounds that brings them back to the barns for the night and feeding.

I have never heard of Disney doing anything like this in the past.

Really a great experience.

Joe

Did they mention what they fed them and where they get the meat? or do they have an in house facility to cut there own meat.

Mark_E

Did they mention what they fed them and where they get the meat? or do they have an in house facility to cut there own meat.

You obviously have never been to Rafikis Planet Watch.

You can see all the areas where the animals are kept on the train and when you get there, there is a little part where you can watch people working. You can watch them preparing food for all the animals and they answered all my questions. I asked if they got live food but she said they just got meat, and sometimes they would give them a frozen rabbit that they would have to bite to get to it!

But yeah, next time you are at animal kingdom, you deffinately need to go to rafikis planet watch, you can find so much out there.

scottnj1966

You obviously have never been to Rafikis Planet Watch.

You can see all the areas where the animals are kept on the train and when you get there, there is a little part where you can watch people working. You can watch them preparing food for all the animals and they answered all my questions. I asked if they got live food but she said they just got meat, and sometimes they would give them a frozen rabbit that they would have to bite to get to it!

But yeah, next time you are at animal kingdom, you deffinately need to go to rafikis planet watch, you can find so much out there.

I have been in that part a couple times. Train is so slow and boring.
I do like the area when you do get there. I must have missed all the places they talked about feeding the animals. What area was that at? Inside the building near the operating room or on the other side near the sound booths?

Thanks

scottnj1966

How do you guys find these things.

Find what things?

You mean little places at disney no one else seems to know about.
I have been going for years but you always learn something new like the feeding info I just got. WDWmagic and the people here are great.

What kinda things you want to know?

How about before the world showcase opens you can rent a segway, be trained on it and ride around for an hour until that part of the park opens.

or

The land has a tour called behind the seeds. It is an hour long and you get to walk int he area's you only see from the boat ride.

or

If you park at Boarwalk Resort, you can walk to both Disney Studios and Epcot or take a boat ride to instead.

or

If you drive past Space Mountain.....oops that one is a secret :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom