An unpleasent experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, getting a little off topic, and argumentative. I'm sure no one else has ever described an event and used a description of someone that really wasn't relevant, and could be considered insulting.

Please don't make me get out my scissors and start cutting up this thread, too.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Again, getting a little off topic, and argumentative. I'm sure no one else has ever described an event and used a description of someone that really wasn't relevant, and could be considered insulting.

Please don't make me get out my scissors and start cutting up this thread, too.

Please do....I think cutting a couple of people out completely would remedy the problems we've had the past couple of days.

Thunder Kz

I forget, what was this thread about? Did some Brazillians over-use the fast passes or start chanting during the parade again?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Id just like to point out that I have not been involved.

What I find odd about the perma offended buy proxy is that I guarantee that they will not exercise the same level of criticism about comments related to size, salad dodging, ginger hair or people who shop at Walmart.

And why do all you colonials have to have sub genres? Either your a spam or your not?

:shrug:

zurgandfriend

And why do all you colonials have to have sub genres? Either your a spam or your not?

:shrug:[/QUOTE]

We’re sensitive; most of our ancestors were thrown out of Europe and/or Asia.
Not at all like the “English.”I was once informed by the RSM of a highland regiment that unfortunately most of his men were “Glasgow keelies and not true Scotsman.” When I relied “but Glasgow is in Scotland,” he just looked at me, shock his head then walked away muttering something about blood and yanks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

:shrug:

We’re sensitive; most of our ancestors were thrown out of Europe and/or Asia.
Not at all like the “English.”I was once informed by the RSM of a highland regiment that unfortunately most of his men were “Glasgow keelies and not true Scotsman.” When I relied “but Glasgow is in Scotland,” he just looked at me, shock his head then walked away muttering something about blood and yanks.[/QUOTE]

Cheeky choochter.

Evil Genius

I didn't want to get on this...but for those of you berrating this sixteen-year-old about utilizing the term "Mexican-American"...let's remember...this is a kid! (No offense Lam!) I quite honestly do not believe from reading the rest of the post believe there was any derrogatory intent in including it in the OP. Just an added detail...nothing more.

Damn...I mean they way some of you have been assaulting this poor kid you've scared him/her (sorry for not knowing which) away from their own thread!

Hope you're proud of yourselves!

On the actual topic of the thread...when confronted with a situation as it was described and being that age...probably the most intelligent thing was to just let the schmucks pass and get them as far away as possible. I'd just as soon not have jerks around me at all...even if it means letting them pass me by.

As an adult...if the opportunity presented itself I would have involved cast members. Perhaps once I was at the front of the que myself I would speak to someone and hopefully have other guests who wittnessed it speak up as well.

devoy1701

Odds are, you are correct that there was no "intent" to be prejudice. Prejudice is driven by ignorance. Being put off by having someone point it out, or describing it is "too pc", further perpetuates that ignorance.

I didn't realize Steve now employed prejudism monitors on this site.

I also didn't realize describing someone as Mexican-American was prejudice. You know, when you are telling a story, whether relavent or not, you do usually describe the people you are talking about...whether a huge ripped white guy or 6'5" Mexican-American, or what have you. No had be made some joke about working in the fields, not having a green card, being illegal, or something like that, then yes that could have been considered off-color, prejudice, borderline racist comments.

Anyway. I would have stood my ground. I can't stand line cutters. I can't stand people who have massive god complex's and think they are about everyone else. We're all the same when we're waiting in lines for Disney attractions, so unless you're paying $150/hr for a private tour guide, you should wait with the rest of us...and if you think you're above it, then I will call you out on it and hope that everyone else around in line mans up as well.

Xethis

I think line cutters should be dealt with, or 'they' will just keep doing it. If you think you can deal with the situation in a calm & nonagressive manner, more power to you. If you don't feel comfortable, ask a CM to deal with it.

Also, in Lam's defense, he simply said Mexican American as an adjective. He wasn't throwing out racist slurs or derogatory comments. Relax people.

Flower'sChild

I would not mind if someone said that I was a white man. Just as I would not mind if someone said that I have dark hair. I also don't mind if someone says that I am a man. You see I am happy with who I am.

I also think it's neat that people are different. We have people of different race,color,height and so on. I think all of this is neat.

Flower'sChild

I recently read a post from someone who e-mailed this question to Disney. Not surprisingly, the official Disney response is that people should be in line together, with the exception of emergencies such as the bathroom.

But of course, there's no real way to enforce this. We're just left to suffer the rudeness of people. It would be great if everybody was civil and decent to everyone else, but as we can see, that doesn't even happen in Fantasyland.:ROFLOL:

If this is the Disney rule I would say that is a very good chance that many guest don't know this. I will tell you some examples of things that I have noticed. One parent will get in line to see TinkerBell while the other parent and child is in line to see the Princesses. Then when other parent and the child have seen Princesses they will join with the Parent in the Tinker Bell line. It seems to me that many guests think that Disney does not have a rule against this. I do also seem to remember some cast members saying all the whole party needs to be in line when seeing characters (but it's kinda rare when I hear them say this). Anyways a lot of this might just be that guest don't know that this is a rule if this is the rule.

Ziffell

* Second Mexican-american who's not offended, for what it's worth. I know some might not find that relevent, but just saying.

Forgive me, but no it isn't relevant. Often times, people will use this type of thing as a license to either make or excuse racist comments. It's like when someone makes an anti-gay remark and then later, during damage control, they'll say something along the lines of "I have gay friends". That doesn't suddenly make the offensive comment okay, or erase that it happened. It's very similar to most companies' sexual harassment policies, in which no individual actually needs to be offended in order for it to be wrong. As a Mexican-American yourself, who was not offended by the comment, your ethnicity doesn't give you the authority to speak on behalf of all members of your ethnic group. It's great that you weren't offended, however if someone reponds to that by saying, "Oh well, it was okay then because this person is Mexican-American and he/she wasn't offended", that person would be guilty of stereotyping.

Ziffell

I would not mind if someone said that I was a white man. Just as I would not mind if someone said that I have dark hair. I also don't mind if someone says that I am a man. You see I am happy with who I am.

I also think it's neat that people are different. We have people of different race,color,height and so on. I think all of this is neat.

I agree with you. However the issue at hand is not the fact that the OP simply said "Mexican-American" to describe them. It was the fact that it had no relevance to the story. Describing one of the people as "huge" DID have relevance because it helped us to understand why the person may have been somewhat intimidating. But their ethnicity had nothing whatsoever to do with the story. Add to that the fact that it was a derogatory story about the people in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom