An exception to the resort mug "rule"?

J_Carioca

I am not ashamed to say that I have re-used mugs. Let me put it this way: I feel less guilty cheating Disney out of the 1.5 cents that a fountain soft drink costs than I do about contributing to the mountains of plastic in this world (ie environmental concerns).

I posted once about a conversation that I had with a waitress at Ohana. She told me that they throw out heaping piles of brand new, perfectly good untouched food every single day. I ate there with my husband and they brought us the same family-sized platter of appetizers that they would have brought for a family of 6. Needless to say, we didn't eat even half of it and the rest was thrown out. The waste is shocking, not just at Ohana but throughout WDW. I know this is not directly related to the mug thread but my point is that a company that can afford to throw out hundreds of pounds of meat every single day is not going to worry about the loss of fountain drinks.

Figments Friend

-

I will make a confession...
I have reused my mug on a recent trip from the previous visit.
Mug was the same design ( currant pool-side image ) and i did not get to use it on my previous visit when it was given to me as part of a package deal.

In the past, i have been naughty and brought back other mugs from the past...but they were always the 'currant' design at the time of use.

I love my older, 'fat' mugs from 2001 and use them often at home and work.
Those are still 'valid' for filling i am told as at the time they were purchased, it was 'good forever' on future visit for refills. The newer, smaller 'travel mug' sized variants are a different story.

On my last visit to a WDW Resort ( late January ) i did notice however the lack of 'old mugs' being used by people. This was a first...usually you easily spot some of the well worn, ancient versions being re-used. Nope..this visit EVERYONE had new mugs..or at least were doing what i was doing, re-using a currant designed one.

First time i ever saw that. Take it for what it is worth...

Disnee4Me

I would say that sounds fair, but isn't it just part of the package now? So if you're booking multiple trips a year, wouldn't you get a mug no matter what? I could be wrong, but I thought they were included now.

I really really wish that you could use the mugs inside the parks. I know fountain drinks really do NOT cost that much per person, and if you're already spending a TON of money on food and souvenirs, I don't think it would matter that much.
There is an amusement park in Connecticut (Lake Compounce) that offers free refills (little plastic cups) and self serve stations and the one problem I have with that is all the bees that swarm around the area. I guess of course if you had to hand it over to a cast member to fill instead, let's hope they give you back the right mug!!

draybook

I'm surprised at people making excuses for why reusing mugs is okay. It's clearly against the rules. However, the great thing about being grown ups is that you can do as you please. So if you're going to reuse mugs, then just own up to it. Much like those of us who "exploited" the old FP windows.

For us, the mug issue isn't a problem because we go during Free Dining, so the mugs don't cost us anything.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I brazenly display my faded Dixie Landings mug as I make eye contact with a nearby CM. I slowly fill it with the beverage of my choice and then dump it out. I go through this ritual several times, taunting the CM "You gonna do anything about it?!?!", as I rhythmically roll my shoulders back and forth to the beat of an inner rap song.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I brazenly display my faded Dixie Landings mug as I make eye contact with a nearby CM. I slowly fill it with the beverage of my choice and then dump it out. I go through this ritual several times, taunting the CM "You gonna do anything about it?!?!", as I rhythmically roll my shoulders back and forth to the beat of an inner rap song.
You are kidding?

disneygirl1

I maintain that if Disney wants me to buy a new mug every trip they need to have a new mug for me to buy! how many years has the current mug been around? For the last 3 years we have been going at least 3 times per year. That's a lot of the same mugs for us to buy!! I'd say it's not worth it for me to buy the mug every time because as someone else stated we don't spend that much time at the resort during most trips. When they actually made the resort mugs we were excited to buy a new resort mug, now that it's been the same design for at least 2 years we have no interest in them anymore. Also, as @Cmdr_Crimson stated the $5 mugs in the parks are cooler.

Amen to that!!! I completely agree with you here! There needs to be a new design ASAP. I think it's been at least 3 years with the beach theme. I'll have more then a dozen mugs of this beach design come June if they don't change it. That's absolutely crazy to me!

tracyandalex

Amen to that!!! I completely agree with you here! There needs to be a new design ASAP. I think it's been at least 3 years with the beach theme. I'll have more then a dozen mugs of this beach design come June if they don't change it. That's absolutely crazy to me!

Exactly my issue! I agree that they are great souvenirs, but what other souvenir would anyone buy 12 of! Sorry Disney, the mugs aren't that cool.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You guys know that back in the day each resort had its own mug design?

$(KGrHqF,!k8FC4G!6+M8BQyNTKz!vQ~~60_35.JPG
3126d1208960012-refillable-mugs-mugs.jpg
1_50d8cd864437777f6dbf8ef500d54799.jpg

The teeny tiny mugs are an old Poly design. They had to be refilled a lot. Anyhoo, made for nice souvenirs. I liked it better than the homogeneous mug system they have now.

G00fyDad

We have a local park that has free unlimited drinks (pepsi products) just grab a cup and drink till you float.
I do agree with othe posters if the mug is the same use it no one needs a cabinet full of the same mug.

Holiday World? :)

I think that if they brought back resort specific mugs and maybe another option that changed yearly then they would sell far more mugs and have less people bringing back old mugs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom